S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

APR pulley released

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
The dealer I go to here in the Seattle area is pretty mod friendly. I took my heavily modified B5 S4 in there for years.

Bruce

Yeah the guy I work with at my dealer seems pretty cool about mods. I brought my car in for 5k and t-stat last wednesday (still at the dealer due to satellite radio issue . . .), and we talked about mods for a little while. He didn't seem to care at all. He did ask though if I had my ECU flashed, and I managed to sidestep the issue (just started talking about my exhaust). Still, I don't think he would have cared if I told him that I have APR's tune.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clochner
Yeah the guy I work with at my dealer seems pretty cool about mods. I brought my car in for 5k and t-stat last wednesday (still at the dealer due to satellite radio issue . . .), and we talked about mods for a little while. He didn't seem to care at all. He did ask though if I had my ECU flashed, and I managed to sidestep the issue (just started talking about my exhaust). Still, I don't think he would have cared if I told him that I have APR's tune.
Just need to be carefull, they erased all my VAG changes last time I was in there for some SW upgrade. My service advisor told me it would overwrite any VAG changes. Unknown if this SW update would also overwrite APR SW.

Bruce
Old 06-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The dealer I go to here in the Seattle area is pretty mod friendly. I took my heavily modified B5 S4 in there for years.

Bruce
Any certain mechanic that you have always used there? Mine is on order from Ben and that info could come in handy
Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just need to be carefull, they erased all my VAG changes last time I was in there for some SW upgrade. My service advisor told me it would overwrite any VAG changes. Unknown if this SW update would also overwrite APR SW.

Bruce
Bruce - I specifically told him no ECU/TCU updates and made sure he wrote it down (thnx for the advice, primetime!). This is why I think he asked the question.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I bought my car from Ben M. He is a very good guy. Say hi for me when you pick up your car. He and Josh D. did most of the work on my old B5 S4 when they had Achtuning. Ben is an enthusiast. I do not ever request a specific mechanic. I know that Phi (Audi master tech) is very good. He did some of the work on my stage 3 B5 S4 at Achtuning.

Bruce
Old 06-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought my car from Ben M. He is a very good guy. Say hi for me when you pick up your car. He and Josh D. did most of the work on my old B5 S4 when they had Achtuning. Ben is an enthusiast. I do not ever request a specific mechanic. I know that Phi (Audi master tech) is very good. He did some of the work on my stage 3 B5 S4 at Achtuning.

Bruce
I'll sure let him know. Thanks for the tip on Phi.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruce
Man that would suck if the ECU tune was undone. Would the upcoming program switching capability cover such an occurrence?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
Man that would suck if the ECU tune was undone. Would the upcoming program switching capability cover such an occurrence?
I doubt it. Even with EMCS (program switching), if the dealer did an ECU flash/update, it would wipe the tune (all of the files). After that you would have to ship it back to APR (if at that point in time, they were still the only ones that offer a tune) to get it reflashed (with the whatever "new" version of the ECU as a base).

Though my understanding is that an ECU "update" is something that is pretty rare (something would have to be materially wrong and the tolerances couldn't cover it). That and APR would probably know something was in the works too (as well as a few well informed community members).

Though the dealer would have to tell you exactly what they're doing (so it won't be a "we flashed your ECU... Surprise!!!").
Old 06-20-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

is it true once you change the pulley you cant go back to the stock one?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clochner
Completely understandable. There are quite a few dealers in my area, so if the one I deal with chose to deny warranty coverage (which I doubt would happen), then I could always try one of the others around here.
Well not sure if the system is the same but for example here in Canada if say you installed a pulley and it blew out the engine or some other major component had a problem the dealer would notify Audi of Canada/America and they would then send the regional manager out to take a look at what caused the major problem. Then this would go on file once the regional is notified and diagnosed so it wouldn't matter what dealer you went to. If it is a small problem then yes you could just go to another dealer but major problems is logged into Central system from what I understand.

Quick Reply: APR pulley released