S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

APR tune info up

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by clochner
I think they should remove that reference to "tiptronic" . . .
Yes, there is a lot of evidence much was ported over from other ECU info, he had something about needing a heat gun to remove the ECU which doesn't pertain to the S4 at all that he already removed.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Corrected at the wheels yes. Shows that they are being honest about power, since it would make it better for them to show LOWER stock HP in order to make their ECU tune look better.

They give 35 more PEAK HP at the wheels, but comparing the redline HP, it's 77 more, since stock starts to peter out at ~5K RPMs.
I'll also point out that the 2010 is all they can do right now, apparently there are changes between the 2011 and 2010 ECU and they are not prepared to do 2011 yet...
Siemens = nightmare for the tuners
Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

someone needs to run their own dyno before and after on this one. I'm still skeptical--- sorry.

EDIT---- replied to wrong part of post- s/b reply to HP gains (35 over peak; 77 redline..)

Last edited by IAS5; 09-23-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arin just confirmed that the 2011 ECU's have been tested and checked out, all S4's are ready for the tune.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MadMadS4
So if their dyno runs high, does that mean the raw numbers are high or the gains are high, or both? Is the +77hp figure 6% high?
NWS4guy, Lou, strat, AMD? and a few other dynos were all between275whp to 295whp

there are a couple of outliers, including APR (316) and AWE (310?). Comparing APR's dyno #s (316avg of 6 pulls stock) to Lou's numbers on a dynojet (292.5 avg of 2 pulls) reveals about a 8% difference. Comparing NWS4guy's 275ish vs. APR reveals a 15% increase.

Somewhere in the middle of that group, you have 285whp...vs. 316whp...which is about 11% higher than that bunch of dynos. So if APR reads about 11% higher than that average of half a dozen, you should use that number to temper all their other numbers.

i.e. 38WHP peak gains = about 35WHP gains on regular dynos....70 max delta = 62 on regular dynos

while the APR #s are certainly inflated VS other dynos, the delta of 38 vs. 35 isn't such a big deal when you really think about it.

Where you'll get into trouble is when you take APR dyno #s...then apply regular dyno drivetrain losses experienced by 12 year old B5 S4s in order to come up with crank hp guestimates...then compare your crank hp guestimate from bad sources to factory engine dynos of other production cars.

THAT'S when you get a 20 page dyno thread.

just to clarify...APR's dyno is fair...but it just reads differently. when trying to get our heads around gains, relative to other cars on other dynos, use that 10-11% rule to reduce the numbers APR puts out there.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default APR vs. Stasis

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
How does APR's ECU upgrade compare to Stasis?
Does one of companies have better history of reliability?
Any idea what the performance numbers are on the two chips?
(i.e. 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed)

2011 S4 arrives at dealer next week, looking forward to modifying suspension, exhaust, chip. Leaning toward Stasis on suspension & exhaust, undecided on chip
Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wood930
How does APR's ECU upgrade compare to Stasis?
Does one of companies have better history of reliability?
Any idea what the performance numbers are on the two chips?
(i.e. 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed)

2011 S4 arrives at dealer next week, looking forward to modifying suspension, exhaust, chip. Leaning toward Stasis on suspension & exhaust, undecided on chip
The tunes should be nearly identical, per history (APR/AWE/STASIS/GIAC/etc.) From the looks of it, all they had to do was eliminate the restrictions present in the stock tune. Look at the before/after dyno up until 5000rpm...basically zero change. Any change (~10hp) can be attributed to the catback in all likelihood. Not to downplay APR's accomplishment...I just don't think you'll see a huge difference from A to B. You'll just have to decide who you want to deal with for service/support.

As for performance reporting, oddly they haven't given any information out at all. APR promised they'd share 0-60 and 1/4 mile info for this and their RS4 supercharger kit before release. So far the only data they've shared has been a 0-60mph for the RS4, yet both products are in full release. The pulls videos with the 2 B8 S4s tell us just about all we need to really know, but it would be nice to see some timed data. I just think they don't want to lay an egg at the track in the middle of a heatwave. They're probably just dragging their heels waiting for some cold weather with dense air to run at the track.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
The tunes should be nearly identical, per history (APR/AWE/STASIS/GIAC/etc.) From the looks of it, all they had to do was eliminate the restrictions present in the stock tune. Look at the before/after dyno up until 5000rpm...basically zero change. Any change (~10hp) can be attributed to the catback in all likelihood. Not to downplay APR's accomplishment...I just don't think you'll see a huge difference from A to B. You'll just have to decide who you want to deal with for service/support.

As for performance reporting, oddly they haven't given any information out at all. APR promised they'd share 0-60 and 1/4 mile info for this and their RS4 supercharger kit before release. So far the only data they've shared has been a 0-60mph for the RS4, yet both products are in full release. The pulls videos with the 2 B8 S4s tell us just about all we need to really know, but it would be nice to see some timed data. I just think they don't want to lay an egg at the track in the middle of a heatwave. They're probably just dragging their heels waiting for some cold weather with dense air to run at the track.
Good point. Well thats what they get for setting up shop in AlaBAMA!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Could the ethanol content of the gas in these various cars account for some of the HP variation? I'm sure it could account for some just not sure how much 10% ethenol vs. no ethenol (what are Alabama's rules?) would affect numbers.

I have no idea how accurate this list is, but it seems like there's lots of ethanol-free options in AL:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AL
Old 09-25-2010, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default apr chip

anyone have any idea when the upgrade chip from apr will be available for the 2011 s4 automatic not standard shift

Quick Reply: APR tune info up