S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

APR tune info up

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
primetime-

The main issue is that the S-Tronic transmission SW is shifting at a lower RPM than you can do in a 6MT. The APR tune WHP is still climbing past 7K. Will need a S-Tronic SW change to get it to shift at higher RPM.

Bruce
I have a feeling you are right Bruce.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I have a feeling you are right Bruce.
well this thread got no love:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...one-with-a-DSG...
Old 09-26-2010, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MadMadS4
Problem:
DSG is run by the ECU, currently the only known company to have cracked the ECU is APR.
APR doesn't do DSG reprogramming.
APR isn't going to share their proprietary information on ECU cracking.

I'd personally prefer to see APR have someone in house dev things on the DSG to see about adjusting shift points, but it might take some serious trial and error with learning something so new, and DSG's are not only expensive parts to replace, but they would also likely need a lot of track and driving time in order to perform reliability testing on the changes (won't grenade the DSG, burn out the clutches, damage the mechatronics, etc), as well as longevity and not shortening the life of the parts of oil.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Neal- The DSG has it's own controller. It gets inputs from ECU though.

Bruce
Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

primetime-

The main issue is that the S-Tronic transmission SW is shifting at a lower RPM than you can do in a 6MT. The APR tune WHP is still climbing past 7K. Will need a S-Tronic SW change to get it to shift at higher RPM.

Bruce
Interesting.... what rpm can you take your 6-speed to? There are many other factors to consider but if your point is correct that is a pretty big advantage for the 6-speed car.

In the video posted here is what I saw:
Race 1 - S-tronic shortshifted 5th gear by 400rpm which cost him... he was still slightly behind but very very close... After that it was over!

Race 2 - Not sure what happend there the tach read 7200RPM, but then it stumbled upon shift and went to 6kish and then down to 5Kish, race over....

Race 3 - S-tronic shortshifted into 3rd at 5900RPM! Way low.... race over....

Race 4 - S-tronic shortshifted every gear at 6800RPM and into 5th at 6600RPM....

Race 5 - S-tronic hits it's shift at 7000RPM every time and is ahead/even at 130 then gets slowly pulled on and shuts down by 140... losing by maybe 1/4-1/2 car...

Race 6 - Good race going and he let off in 4th gear....

Would really like to see some in car footage of the 6-speed... I haven't done alot of roll racing but when I drag race the car shifts at 7000RPM everytime, when I leave it in S mode not manual and let it shift itself... I do look forward to the s-troic software.... Is the APR tune upping the limiter on 6-speeds? I thought I read it wasn't.... later Ron
Old 09-26-2010, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Bruce
If that's the case, there is some hope, so long as ECU changes are not required as well.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bruce
http://www.hpamotorsport.com/dsg.htm

DSG / S-Tronic Performance Programming

The DSG gearbox is an amazing bundle of technologies with over 50 patents protecting it. The mechanical and software details of this technology are on lockdown from even the dealerships who are not allowed to perform any service other than the basic maintenance.

Not to let this dissuade us, in 2004 HPA began our study to understand the overall mechanical limits of the DSG gearbox and compare it to those of the known manual gearbox. These efforts, along with our 15 year reputation in the field, gained us the attention of Volkswagen and earned us the right to exclusively build the three RGT project cars (Jetta, Passat, and Toaureg) for the debut at the 2005 SEMA show. All powered by a twin turbo and the Jetta and Passat outfitted with the DSG

Our team met with the head software and mechanical developers for the DQ200, DQ250, and DQ500 DSG Gearboxes, and participated in ride and drives with the Audi A3 calibration team.

After more than three years of multiple overlapping and compounding durability evaluations together with our global partners (including the 24 hours at Nurenburgring, and numerous FT565 vehicle builds), our group has developed the software expertise necessary to ensure safe functionality of the DSG in extreme applications.

Unlike simple engine tuning which involves the use of one of many readily available programming interfaces to manipulate the spark and fuel of the engine map, tuning the DSG involves many more parameters and a secure understanding of how these react to various vehicle inputs.

Reading and writing software to an ECU is one thing, but without the experience and first hand knowledge of cause and effect generated by manipulating the blind variables of the DSG software, it is a potentially dangerous situation.

With over two dozen different DSG gearboxes in North America (and several more globally), no tuner is better versed and more prepared than HPA is to overcome these variables to ensure a perfect result that won’t prematurely wear out clutch packs or threaten the sensitive gearbox.

Here is a handful of examples of the various DSG Equipped cars we have worked with:

In early 2008, many tuners began offering big power upgrades for DSG equipped cars without consideration of augmenting this critical piece of hardware. HPA has worked since 2004 with an evolving understanding of the DSG system to develop cohesive power packages that deliver proven, durable, results. It was not until late 2008 that a feasible avenue to offer this DSG performance software to the general public was realized. At that time, HPA kicked off an aggressive initiative to clearly showcase the benefits and needs of DSG modification. Throughout our first two trips around the continent we further studied the idiosyncrasies of the various OEM DSG files and finalized our official offerings.

With an HPA tune, each file is created specifically for the car which it is being written to. This ensures that sensitive emissions and hardware interfaces are not jeopardized by an attempted one file fits all strategy.

HVA-DSG-2
Stage 2 DSG Program

Includes: Progressive Shift Response, Increased Torque Limit, Enabled/Elevated Launch Control, Increased Red Line, Eliminated Automatic Shifting in M and S mode, In Dash Gear Display full details
Price: $899

HVA-DSG-3
Stage 3 DSG Program

Designed for 400+ HP applications: includes all the basic features of Stage 2 will fully customized recalibration to suit the most demanding drivers.full details
Price: $1995

HVA-DSG-3
Stage 4 DSG Program

Designed for modified FI or 450+ HP applications: is a fully customized program designed to match with your supplied power profile.full details
Price: $2495 (Intro offer $1995)

Customer Reviews and Videos:

How to get your DSG Reflashed
Old 09-27-2010, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I had the HPA DSG software in my R32 and it made a huge difference. They modify the Mechatronic (sp) so that when you do mod the car, you can get everything out of it.

That being said, it's not perfect. I had issues with the DSG in that I couldn't get the higher RPM's like the other R32's/A3's that were there for the upgrade. Mine constantly shifted 200-300 RPM's lower than everyone else's AND when leaving the transmission to shift for itself, there was a horrible pause or hiccup before shifting at redline. Picture the car falling on it's face and then recovering and shifting all within a second.

Personally, I would never again spend the money on the upgrade considering just how much better our DSG transmissions are over that of the R32.

So the DSG shifts a little early, okay, I can deal with that. It's not like I am going around racing people every single day at speeds over 100mph anyway.

Where I would have issues however is if the ECU software creates issues with the DSG in anyway such as making the transmission pause or hiccup at redline when shifting. Hopefully APR did their home work and this isn't an issue.

If the transmission is shifting early like someone said, then perhaps the Mechatronic torque values are set too low or there was a heat issue with the transmission and that made the software go into a safe mode and caused the transmission to shift early? Total speculation on my part but it is possible.

I personally don't believe that there is no need for DSG software for our cars once modified. Especially if/when the mods are out and we start seeing 450hp+ and over 400ft/lbs of torque.

It's like tuners saying that pulleys aren't needed and then all of the sudden pulleys are being put into the mix.

The OEM DSG programming was written for the car at stock levels. Once you pass those values or come close to those values, I think we'll start seeing issues with those cars that have DSG.