S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi Care Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Care Plus?

I have a 2010 S4, and just hit 43k miles. Took my car in for service this past Friday. I do have Audi Care, which will expire soon. I was also presented information for adding Audi Care Plus, and the list price is $1230. He compared that to the cost of getting the service intervals individually:
55k service = $675
65k service = $200
75k service = $700
total = 1575
The Audi Care Plus also includes one brake service, with a cost of $170, so the numbers look like you get $1745 worth of services for a price of $1230. ~$500 worth of savings.

Anyone went with this option?

At the same time, he was also pitching the extended warranty options. here's what that pricing looks like:
1 years, 12k miles = $2k
2 years, 24k miles = 2623
3 years, 36k miles = 3536
4 years, 48k miles = 4615

any opinions on the value of this package?

And lastly, they gave me a '13 A6 with only 50miles on it as a loaner. That's one nice riding car!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Once I'm out of warranty, I don't extend my Audi Care as I use an indy Audi/VW shop which charges about 35% less than the dealer for service and repairs.
Same goes for an extended warranty. Way too expensive for insurance. They typically do not cover everything and charge a deductible for each repair. Doesn't add up for me.
Self insure and use a good indy shop in your area once out of warranty and the original Audi Care.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info Kyee, thanks. I have up to 2 years to go before my warranty will expire. I've thought about extended warranties through Audi or a third party but have not researched this much.

Snagitseven, what do you mean by self insure and extended warranties being too expensive for insurance? I'd continue to have compulsory and comprehensive insurance on the car, but auto insurance would not cover the cost of a DSG transmission failure while a extended warranty probably would depending on the coverage selected.

Anyone else have thoughts on extended warranties? I know situations vary.

As for Audi Care Plus, it sounds like it saves money if you're going to use the dealer for the services. What if you decide you absolutely love the B9 S4 when it comes out and turn in the car early or sell it on your own? If Audi Care Plus is transferrable and adds value to the car (in line with what you paid?), then it may be worth if even if you do move on to a different vehicle, else it may only be worth it if you're going to keep the car through those services.

Last edited by zulujams; 09-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by zulujams
Snagitseven, what do you mean by self insure and extended warranties being too expensive for insurance? I'd continue to have compulsory and comprehensive insurance on the car, but auto insurance would not cover the cost of a DSG transmission failure while a extended warranty probably would depending on the coverage selected.
I wasn't referring to normal car liability insurance. After market warranties are a form of insurance - you pay now and hope that claims will be more than the cost of the warranty later. Self insuring simply means you are banking the money not spent buying a warranty and using those funds for future repairs rather than giving it to a warranty company.

You have to weigh the costs of potential repairs against a warranty price and be sure to add in the costs not covered including co-pays (can be $100 for each repair) that most of those warranties have for each claim. Also, there are many levels of warranties - bumper to bumper coverage is extremely expensive. Face it, these warranty companies are in business to make money - just like insurance companies. Also, getting claims approved can sometimes be a hassle, especially interstate.

I have Audi Care as I believe having the dealer take care of maintenance while under the manf warranty makes sense. This avoids any finger pointing if I use an independant shop and something breaks. However, after the manf warranty runs out, as I said, I use my indy repair shop for maintenance and repairs. They are considerably less expensive than the dealer's service dept and the dollars work out in my favor having them do all of the maintenance against the high cost of Audi Care Plus. By my calculations, I'll save over $500 using my indy shop vs Audi Care Plus. Also, if I sell the car before the last service, I'm not out the non-refundable money I would have spent in advance.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-17-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotcha, thanks snagitseven. Best to read the fine print on extended warranties and find out what is covered, not covered, and deductibles. Banking the cash instead is an option too. My concern though is the DSG tranny. Some posts have approached $12K for a replacement cost, ouch. I have two years to decide. I am used to keeping cars longer typically, and I love this car.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by zulujams
Gotcha, thanks snagitseven. Best to read the fine print on extended warranties and find out what is covered, not covered, and deductibles. Banking the cash instead is an option too. My concern though is the DSG tranny. Some posts have approached $12K for a replacement cost, ouch. I have two years to decide. I am used to keeping cars longer typically, and I love this car.
Anyone have a recent price on Audicare?
Old 05-25-2014, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
Anyone have a recent price on Audicare?
I paid $920 last Friday.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I paid $920 last Friday.
Thanks. I just had a dealer quote me:

"Sure new car pre paid audi schedule maintenance for 4/45k fleet pricing for new cars is $2579.00 flat no tax. "

Does that $920 include the 15/25/45 services? Anything else it covers???
Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Yea they tried that BS with me too. You have until the 15K service to purchase, and so wait a little, then go buy it from the service department instead of the sales department. Those guys aren't paid on commission. The service agents literally had the price sheet taped to their desk in full view of the customer. Remember you can always buy it from a different dealership's service department also.

The $920 covers the 15k, 25K, 35K, and 45K services. I don't think it covers anything else, but your warranty would pick up the rest. You are still on your own for wear items like tires and brake rotors, etc. There is also Audi Care plus which is for cars older than 45,000 miles and it costs around $1200ish if I remember correctly.

Comprehensive maintenance.

Over the life of your Audi Care plan, these services and more are covered under recommended scheduled maintenance.1

Engine Oil/Oil Filter Change oil and replace filter

Wiper Blades Check condition and replace if necessary2

Windshield and Headlight Wiper/Washers Inspect and check function

Tires and Spare Inspect for wear/damage, adjust pressure if required

AdBlue Fluid Refill completely (23 liters), Audi Q7 3.0L TDI only

Service Reminder Display Reset

Brake System Inspect system, check pad wear, check fluid level

Cooling System Inspect system, check fluid level, add if necessary

Exhaust System Inspect system

Engine Compartment Inspect for leaks

Battery Test and replace if necessary2

Dust and Pollen Filter Replace

Automatic Transmission and Final Drive Check for leaks

Manual Transmission and Final Drive Check for leaks

Front Axle Test for excessive play, inspect all dust seals

Drive Shaft Boots Inspect

Spark Plugs Replace at 35,000 miles or three years,3 then every 40,000 miles or three years3depending on model

Continuously Variable Transmission (multitronic) Change ATF

Power Steering Fluid Check, add if necessary

Air Cleaner Clean housing, replace filter element

Belts and Tensioners Inspect condition and replace if necessary2

Underbody Inspect for damage and leaks

Road Test Check all systems for correct on-road operation

Lights Check all exterior and interior lights for proper operation

Brake Fluid Replace every two years regardless of mileage

Cloth Top Check function and rollover protection every two years regardless of mileage (Audi A4/S4/A5/S5 Cabriolet only)

1Actual scheduled maintenance checks vary based on vehicle model, model year and mileage. See vehicle Owner's Manual for details.

2Replacement parts and labor additional. See dealer for details.
3Whichever occurs first.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
Thanks. I just had a dealer quote me:

"Sure new car pre paid audi schedule maintenance for 4/45k fleet pricing for new cars is $2579.00 flat no tax. "

Does that $920 include the 15/25/45 services? Anything else it covers???
$2,579 is ridiculous. It is clearly $920 on the Audi site (and that has gone up from $800 when I bought in in August 2012):

http://www.audiusa.com/myaudi/service

Some people claim to have had it thrown in but I always doubt those claims and think they either paid for it in the price of the car, value of trade in or financing rate.

Quick Reply: Audi Care Plus?