S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi Connect - Speed AWFUL?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slightly off topic but related to Audi Connect services. I came across info that shows AT&T provides service for Audi Connect ONLY to the new A3 sedan. All other models using T-Mobile. Any idea as to why that is?? Personally for my particular area, I would prefer AT&T because I think the coverage is better.

Last edited by Timmay; 05-08-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
Slightly off topic but related to Audi Connect services. I came across info that shows AT&T provides service for Audi Connect ONLY to the new A3 sedan. All other models using T-Mobile. Any idea as to why that is?? Personally for my particular area, I would prefer AT&T because I think the coverage is better.
Audi had contracted with T-Mobile for some period of time on all previous Nav Plus Audi models with but with the new A3/S3, they elected to sign on with AT&T's 4G. It's very possible that once the T-Mobile contracts run out on existing models, they will switch to AT&T 4G at some point. If the agreement is running out this year, perhaps other 2016 models will have it.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Audi had contracted with T-Mobile for some period of time on all previous Nav Plus Audi models with but with the new A3/S3, they elected to sign on with AT&T's 4G. It's very possible that once the T-Mobile contracts run out on existing models, they will switch to AT&T 4G at some point. If the agreement is running out this year, perhaps other 2016 models will have it.
I hope so, that'd be nice to get 4G. I'm still a new owner and under a free 6 month trial of Audi Connect. Haven't really messed with it too much but like having the up-to-date information about weather, news, events, etc. I have a question about the Google Earth aspect of the navigation system. I'm assuming the bandwidth or strength of the data signal will impact the imagery on the mapping, no? Just curious. Or is that simply the Nvidia(?)graphics chip set with respect to rendering?

I'm still head over heels about having Google Maps rendering the satellite imagery on the screen! Having Google Earth for the mapping would also ensure the maps and locations are pretty up to date too or is that not correct? I'm just wondering whether it's ever necessary to pay for the navigation map update anymore, especially in light of these new technologies.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

These speeds are 5-6x what I'm seeing...
Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
We cannot get T-Mobile here ... Aspen and the Roaring Fork Valley. we have ATT 4G*

*My neighbor says there really is no 4G. The US could never agree on a standard like Europe. So 4G is really something like 3.5G depending on your provider. so no US provider is really a bona fide 4G.

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 05-08-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I use mine to stream Pandora almost every time I drive. Some areas work well and some areas have drop outs. The time of day also seems to matter as it works great around my office in the morning but crap in the evening. Turning on the NAV display with google earth makes all of the connection problems worse. In all cases dropping the wifi and switching back to 4G LTE on my phone works much better.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Timmay
I hope so, that'd be nice to get 4G. I'm still a new owner and under a free 6 month trial of Audi Connect. Haven't really messed with it too much but like having the up-to-date information about weather, news, events, etc. I have a question about the Google Earth aspect of the navigation system. I'm assuming the bandwidth or strength of the data signal will impact the imagery on the mapping, no? Just curious. Or is that simply the Nvidia(?)graphics chip set with respect to rendering?

I'm still head over heels about having Google Maps rendering the satellite imagery on the screen! Having Google Earth for the mapping would also ensure the maps and locations are pretty up to date too or is that not correct? I'm just wondering whether it's ever necessary to pay for the navigation map update anymore, especially in light of these new technologies.
As to AT&T 4G upgrades to existing T-Mobile 3G Audi Connect, it would require a new communication module and new coding. Knowing Audi, if this was even possible, it wouldn't be inexpensive.

For the Google Earth overlay, yes, the speed of the overlay downloads to the screen are dependent on the the data connection. I suspect the refresh rate of the Nvidia chipset exceeds the online cellular data transfer rates.

Regarding your question on the built-in NavTeq sourced map data and the Google Earth overlay, it can be a bit confusing so it's important to understand the differences in capabilities and design between the two.

The Google Earth overlay is not a "map" as found in the car's base nav data - it simply overlays the existing NavTeq map.

While the Google Earth images are dynamically updated from Google (as well as the Online Destination POIs), the underlying roads and addresses in the car's nav database are static. Therefore, if you input an address in the nav on a new street that isn't in the car's internal NavTeq database, the Nav will not see it or allow you to navigate to that location, even if the new street is showing on the Earth overlay. The only way to register and navigate to that new address or street would be to update the Nav at the dealer (providing the update map data includes the new info).

Nevertheless, assuming Google had updated their data, new streets would show in the Earth image on your screen and updated POIs would be visible and navigable via Online Destinations (though you would get the "destination is not on a digitized street" message). Note that Google Online destinations do not allow for searching by address alone, just POIs; only the car's built-in destination search supports entering a specific address.

Last edited by snagitseven; 05-09-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

snagitseven: Excellent explanation and I think I fully understand now. That's the best explanation I've heard on this setup, thanks a lot. I guess in the end there's no avoiding the NavTeq map update after all. Oh well.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
We cannot get T-Mobile here ... Aspen and the Roaring Fork Valley. we have ATT 4G*

*My neighbor says there really is no 4G. The US could never agree on a standard like Europe. So 4G is really something like 3.5G depending on your provider. so no US provider is really a bona fide 4G.

Best

Oversimplifying, HSPA+ "4G" is a faster 3G (sort of a 3G+). LTE, is classified as "true 4G". While real world actual speeds will vary, and in some cases HSPA+ can actually be as fast or faster depending on location and carrier, LTE is theoretically (and usually in actual use) the fastest.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I wish they could use Sprint believe it or not. That's what I use for my cell service for work and there are a lot of 4G towers around me so it's a good connection.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect - Speed AWFUL?????