S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi Connect - Speed AWFUL?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be happiest with using my cell phone as the hotspot for the car (inverse of now) so everyone could use whatever carrier and speed they wanted / worked best for where they live and connectivity technology could be updated more frequently and easily. Second best choice would be AT&T to add a device to current share plan I pay for by using a free SIM from AT&T. Unlikely either option will be available in the car as long as I own it (or maybe ever) so at least for now, sticking with ptel. I really don't want a separate data plan for my car given the amount I use it.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Used for the right purpose Audi Connect works very well for me. I love being able to send destinations directly to the car from Google Maps before leaving the house or doing a voice controlled online search while out and about or checking the weather at my destination. The other day for example, I was driving in an unfamiliar area and started to get a headache. Quick click on the voice button on the steering wheel, followed by "Google search pharmacy"...., "Line 1"...., "Start route guidance" and 10 seconds later I was on my way to the nearest pharmacy without ever taking my hands of the steering wheel. Here in NorCal, the T-Mobile network has improved noticeable in the year I had my car. It was sluggish at the beginning, but now it's adequate for the features in the MMI. However, don't connect your phone to the car's wifi. That makes no sense. Why bogging down the car's 3G connection with your phone when your phone most likely has a much better connection on its own. I do have my old iPhone in the glovebox connected to AMI and the car's Wifi. I have it so that I can send destinations to my car on the go with the new Audi Connect App since my main phone is a Windows Phone 8, however I don't have a SIM in it anymore, so I either have to swap the SIM from my active phone to the iPhone or connect to Wifi nearby.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's plenty of reasons to use the car's wifi, such as long trips for tablet or laptop use and saving data plans. Mine works perfectly fine streaming Pandora on the car's wifi. With the number of miles I drive a week, that saves me a ton of data towards my limit.