AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   Audi S4 2010 Greyed out on MMI (New Owner) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/audi-s4-2010-greyed-out-mmi-new-owner-2940691/)

Goat@2285 01-11-2018 02:07 AM

Audi S4 2010 Greyed out on MMI (New Owner)

Hi All,

I bought an S4 2010 on the 8th of January 2010.

It's been two days and I have the following questions:
  • 1. The car has the rear sensors in the bumper, but the option of "Rear Parking sensors" is grayed out. Does this mean the car has the bumper but no the "guts" of the actual sensors when it left the factory 8 yrs ago?
  • 2. The same for the key-less entry. All handles have that square but even with the key in pocket and holding my hand there not touching and then touching etcetcetcetc is still doesn't open.
Did Audi build one "mold" and then depending of car order (options) added features and such? or are mine just broken....

It is the 7-speed automatic 3.0 V6 without SAT/Nav and bang speakers etc ( I assume the basic version).

Thanks for taking time to reply. FYI this is my first Audi and loving the car.

DrGP 01-11-2018 08:04 AM

Are you saying in it is grayed out in the MMI display? If you put the car in reverse and you don't get a back up view, your car probably doesn't have the rear camera .But in retrospect, my 2010 did not have a NAV or rear camera and I don't remember there being any sensors in the rear bumper. But there is good news, the rear camera can be retrofitted of you want it. If you have keyless ignition,you will also have a start button on the console.No start button,no keyless entry.

Evan's Santorin S4 01-11-2018 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Goat@2285 (Post 25094824)
Hi All,

• 1. The car has the rear sensors in the bumper, but the option of "Rear Parking sensors" is grayed out. Does this mean the car has the bumper but no the "guts" of the actual sensors when it left the factory 8 yrs ago?
  • 2. The same for the key-less entry. All handles have that square but even with the key in pocket and holding my hand there not touching and then touching etcetcetcetc is still doesn't open.
Did Audi build one "mold" and then depending of car order (options) added features and such? or are mine just broken....

It is the 7-speed automatic 3.0 V6 without SAT/Nav and bang speakers etc ( I assume the basic version).

The square is for locking. Putting your hand on the handle unlocks if you have advanced key.

plat27265 01-11-2018 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Goat@2285 (Post 25094824)
Hi All,

Before we go on a wild goose chase, we need to know what came with the car when it was new. Use this website to pull up a copy of your S4's original window sticker: Window Stickers: Audi Vin Decoder and Audi Window Sticker Tool - Wikilender

The website says it will pull up the window stickers of any car with MY2011 and up. Just try your 2010 S4 and see if it works. If not, use the alternative method which is to grab all the PR codes in the PR sticker found in the spare wheel well. Then use this website to decode every PR code in the sticker: PlanetVAG.com - VW & Audi PR Code Search

Goat@2285 01-12-2018 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by plat27265 (Post 25095111)
Before we go on a wild goose chase, we need to know what came with the car when it was new. Use this website to pull up a copy of your S4's original window sticker: Window Stickers: Audi Vin Decoder and Audi Window Sticker Tool - Wikilender

The website says it will pull up the window stickers of any car with MY2011 and up. Just try your 2010 S4 and see if it works. If not, use the alternative method which is to grab all the PR codes in the PR sticker found in the spare wheel well. Then use this website to decode every PR code in the sticker: PlanetVAG.com - VW & Audi PR Code Search

Hi,

Thank you very much for the website. It told me everything that I needed to know. Interestingly it has the park distance control listed. Here is the list:

PRCode: 0G7 = Tiptronic
PRCode: 0JH = Weight category front axle weight range 8
PRCode: 0YJ = Weight range 9 installation control only no requirement forecast
PRCode: 1AS = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
PRCode: 1BD = Suspension/shock absorption for special sports design
PRCode: 1KE = Disc brakes rear
PRCode: 1LJ = Disc brakes front
PRCode: 1N3 = Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
PRCode: 1SH = Additional engine and transmission guard
PRCode: 1XX = Leather trimmed multi-function sports steering wheel w/ Tiptronic
PRCode: 2K3 = Reinforced bumpers
PRCode: 3FE = Electric slide/tilt sunroof with sun screen/sunblind
PRCode: 3L5 = Electric seat adjustment for both front seats
PRCode: 3NZ = Rear seat bench unsplit backrest split folding
PRCode: 3Y0 = Without roll-up sun screen
PRCode: 4GQ = Windshield in heat-insulating glass
PRCode: 4K4 = Radio remote controlled central locking
PRCode: 4KC = Side and rear windows in heat-insulatingglass
PRCode: 4UE = Air bag for driver and front seat passenger
PRCode: 4X3 = Side air bag front with curtain air bag
PRCode: 5D7 = Carrier frequency 868 MHz without panic button
PRCode: 5MK = Decorative inserts carbon weave
PRCode: 5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
PRCode: 6TS = Right exterior mirror: aspherical large viewing field
PRCode: 6XD = Exterior mirrors: electrically adjustable/heated
PRCode: 7A3 = CD player
PRCode: 7K0 = Without tire pressure warning light
PRCode: 7MG = Emission standard EU5
PRCode: 7Q0 = Without navigation device
PRCode: 7X1 = Park distance control
PRCode: 8BP = Bi-functional headlight with gas discharge lamp
PRCode: 8GR = Alternator 150 A
PRCode: 8Q3 = Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self-adjusting while driving)
PRCode: 8Z6 = Hot country
PRCode: 9Q4 = Multi-function display/on-board computerwith check control
PRCode: C2R = Alloy wheels 8J x 18
PRCode: D11 = 6-cyl. gasoline eng. 3.0 l/245 kW (24V) TFSI homogeneous Base engine is TC6/TE8
PRCode: E0A = No special edition
PRCode: F0A = No special purpose vehicle standard equipment
PRCode: J1U = Battery 450 A (95 Ah)
PRCode: Q1D = Sports front seats
PRCode: TC6 = 6-cylinder gasoline engine 3 L unit 06E.C
PRCode: U1A = Instrument insert with km/h speedometer clock tachometer and trip odometer
PRCode: X6K = National sales program South Africa

I guess I have a valid reason to visit Audi and ask why its grayed out then?

plat27265 01-12-2018 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Goat@2285 (Post 25095559)
Hi,

Thank you very much for the website. It told me everything that I needed to know. Interestingly it has the park distance control listed. Here is the list:

PRCode: 0G7 = Tiptronic
PRCode: 0JH = Weight category front axle weight range 8
PRCode: 0YJ = Weight range 9 installation control only no requirement forecast
PRCode: 1AS = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
PRCode: 1BD = Suspension/shock absorption for special sports design
PRCode: 1KE = Disc brakes rear
PRCode: 1LJ = Disc brakes front
PRCode: 1N3 = Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
PRCode: 1SH = Additional engine and transmission guard
PRCode: 1XX = Leather trimmed multi-function sports steering wheel w/ Tiptronic
PRCode: 2K3 = Reinforced bumpers
PRCode: 3FE = Electric slide/tilt sunroof with sun screen/sunblind
PRCode: 3L5 = Electric seat adjustment for both front seats
PRCode: 3NZ = Rear seat bench unsplit backrest split folding
PRCode: 3Y0 = Without roll-up sun screen
PRCode: 4GQ = Windshield in heat-insulating glass
PRCode: 4K4 = Radio remote controlled central locking
PRCode: 4KC = Side and rear windows in heat-insulatingglass
PRCode: 4UE = Air bag for driver and front seat passenger
PRCode: 4X3 = Side air bag front with curtain air bag
PRCode: 5D7 = Carrier frequency 868 MHz without panic button
PRCode: 5MK = Decorative inserts carbon weave
PRCode: 5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
PRCode: 6TS = Right exterior mirror: aspherical large viewing field
PRCode: 6XD = Exterior mirrors: electrically adjustable/heated
PRCode: 7A3 = CD player
PRCode: 7K0 = Without tire pressure warning light
PRCode: 7MG = Emission standard EU5
PRCode: 7Q0 = Without navigation device
PRCode: 7X1 = Park distance control
PRCode: 8BP = Bi-functional headlight with gas discharge lamp
PRCode: 8GR = Alternator 150 A
PRCode: 8Q3 = Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self-adjusting while driving)
PRCode: 8Z6 = Hot country
PRCode: 9Q4 = Multi-function display/on-board computerwith check control
PRCode: C2R = Alloy wheels 8J x 18
PRCode: D11 = 6-cyl. gasoline eng. 3.0 l/245 kW (24V) TFSI homogeneous Base engine is TC6/TE8
PRCode: E0A = No special edition
PRCode: F0A = No special purpose vehicle standard equipment
PRCode: J1U = Battery 450 A (95 Ah)
PRCode: Q1D = Sports front seats
PRCode: TC6 = 6-cylinder gasoline engine 3 L unit 06E.C
PRCode: U1A = Instrument insert with km/h speedometer clock tachometer and trip odometer
PRCode: X6K = National sales program South Africa

I guess I have a valid reason to visit Audi and ask why its grayed out then?

Good job! I am glad you were able to find the PR Sticker and decode all those codes. Based on these codes:
1. Your car does not have a rear camera, at least, not from the factory. Otherwise, the code will be 7X7 - Park Distance Control Rear with rear view camera or 7X8 - Park Distance Control Front and Rear with rear view camera instead of 7X1. Are the rear sensors working when you put the car into Reverse? If not, I suspect that the Rear Parking Sensor Module must be unplugged, faulty, or missing. If you have access to the Ross Tech VCDS cable or OBDEleven, you can scan the system and find out what happened to the Rear Parking Sensor module. FYI, for the B8 S4, the module is located inside the RH side section in the trunk/boot along with other electronic modules.

2. Your car also not have Keyless Entry. Otherwise, the code will be 4K5 instead of 4K4. Those tiny squares on the door handles are just blank covers.

Goat@2285 01-14-2018 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by plat27265 (Post 25095567)
Good job! I am glad you were able to find the PR Sticker and decode all those codes. Based on these codes:
1. Your car does not have a rear camera, at least, not from the factory. Otherwise, the code will be 7X7 - Park Distance Control Rear with rear view camera or 7X8 - Park Distance Control Front and Rear with rear view camera instead of 7X1. Are the rear sensors working when you put the car into Reverse? If not, I suspect that the Rear Parking Sensor Module must be unplugged, faulty, or missing. If you have access to the Ross Tech VCDS cable or OBDEleven, you can scan the system and find out what happened to the Rear Parking Sensor module. FYI, for the B8 S4, the module is located inside the RH side section in the trunk/boot along with other electronic modules.

2. Your car also not have Keyless Entry. Otherwise, the code will be 4K5 instead of 4K4. Those tiny squares on the door handles are just blank covers.

Hi plat27265,

thanks for replying. apologies for being quiet on the forum. I will check this out later tonight from my side and post about it.

*interesting story:
The other night I decided to go above 120kmh right. At 160km/h it sounded like i picked up a bag.Turns out, the scratch skirt came loose and scraped on the tar. (which really sucks.)
So I stopped and looked deeper inside and saw that its actually leaking oil. (new and old oil)
There is oil from before I bought it on the 9th of Jan. And a fresh drop or two.

Since I opened the oil cap that night, the computer sometimes say "Drain off oil." So i thought its from to much oil that its pressuring out from weak gaps. (The car has full service history so a certain someone might have always added to much oil.) ...went to an audi mechanic and he said too much oil wont cause that...

anyway, though id just share that. I will post some pics later on that. and the skit pan looks like through the years mechanics refitted less and less screws once they completed their work..and my luck that night it happened.

Sbtw, it looks like the oil cooler is leaking from a corner. but who knows with oil...

ptbradford 05-03-2019 10:08 AM

Did you ever find out what was causing the grayed out parking assist options?