S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

B&O Subwoofer Upgrade Install Guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
http://www.eliteinstallersupply.com/...roducts_id=184

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=74

I used a 1.5" thick spacer ring (9.125" inside, 10.125" outside) trimmed by 0.5" on one side, to float the 10" 8 ohm Kicker Comp sub mounting above the stock mounting holes. The stock hole is about 8.875" diameter and the Kicker needs 9.125" hole.

It looks like MAYBE, one could use a 1.25" thick spacer ring, but the size should really be 9.125" inside, 9.625" outside.

Custom Single Layer Speaker Ring, $15.99
<small> - Cutout Diameter 9 1/8"</small>
<small> - MDF 1 1/4"</small>
<small> - Outside Diameter 9 5/8"</small>

Stock mounting holes line up and used 2" long 8x32 screws to mount. The new sub works very nicely. Needed to trim the grille and rear deck cover for clearance. Wired to stock amp and reversed polarity from stock. I used lots of Dynamat in the rear deck and sealed all the holes. This install takes very little room in the trunk.
Thanks for this. I'm going to order it 1.5" thick just to be safe.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by keiran
Thanks for this. I'm going to order it 1.5" thick just to be safe.
Actually looking at your pictures m444 it really does look like 1.25 would be fine at least from the outside, I'll give that a shot.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

1.25 works for sure and makes for less trimming of deck lid and speaker grill. You should easily be able to do 1" or less. Just depends on how much trunk space you want to encroach on.

I would definitely skip elite installer supply. I ordered from him (Ryan Swank is the name on the associated paypal account) and never heard a peep! Attempted to contact him multiple times in the 2 weeks leading up to filing a clam with paypal. Had my money back via paypal by the 3rd week.
got it from this ebay seller who custom made the spacer for me. That's how I did it the second time. (1.25 tall, 9 1/8 ID, 10 1/8 OD). The first time local stereo shop did it for me at about 40 bucks.

Last edited by dr bryan; 09-09-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

I ordered from Elite installer supply, it only took two days to ship, after I ordered. He did send me an email to clarify the order. I used Paypal for payment.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by keiran
Actually looking at your pictures m444 it really does look like 1.25 would be fine at least from the outside, I'll give that a shot.
Actually a tilted ring would work even better, higher on the back side of car (maybe 2" one side and 3/4" inch on the other)
Old 09-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dr bryan
1.25 works for sure and makes for less trimming of deck lid and speaker grill. You should easily be able to do 1" or less. Just depends on how much trunk space you want to encroach on.

I would definitely skip elite installer supply. I ordered from him (Ryan Swank is the name on the associated paypal account) and never heard a peep! Attempted to contact him multiple times in the 2 weeks leading up to filing a clam with paypal. Had my money back via paypal by the 3rd week.
got it from this ebay seller who custom made the spacer for me. That's how I did it the second time. (1.25 all, 9 1/8 ID, 10 1/8 OD). The first time local stereo shop did it for me at about 30 bucks.
Which local shop (I'm in Portland/Lake Oswego)? I'll just go that route, it's worth the extra cash to simply have it done.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.kingpincaraudio.com/
Old 09-06-2011, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamesPaul
Below are photos of the install that a friend and I worked on during the past couple of weeks. We tried to keep it looking as factory as possible and am really impressed with the improvement to the sound that we were able to achieve.

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Kyee. Without the photos and details he posted about his system, we would never have been able to complete mine.

In case anyone is interested, we also took some step-by-step photos.
(http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/a...Sub%20Install/)

That looks great James. I was considering upgrading the subwoofer on my B&O system for my S4, but in my view, I can't imagine upgrading an existing 10" driver to another 10" driver but leaving the same amp power and location the same would make enough of an appreciable difference, save possibly the new driver is at least 3db more efficient than the exiting driver which I'd guess no one has the T/S specs for?

Did you keep the existing driver in this install? It looks like there is a downfiring driver next to the amp?

How was the new amp hooked up to the head unit to bypass the B&O amp?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sub and Amp

I put in a Kicker Comp 10 sub and a Rockford Fosgarte P300-1 amp, dynamat, made a spacer ring out of 3/4" mdf and sanded it to match the deck profile. Still had to grind a bit of deck metal as the Kicker's basket was a bit too large. but it's a fairly shallow sub so with the spacer it doesn't intrude into the trunk too badly, the amp fits in the open spot between the units in the left bay, just had to make a mount shelf to lift it 1/2" (plywood). Added a controller under the drivers left kneepanel. After a bit of dialing in it sounds amazing, deep tight bass, no rattles (unless i want to break something).

Whether you do it yourself or have one installed it's a great upgrade, the rest of the system is wonderful, a sub just completes it.

one pic, can't get more than one to load.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2011, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lancerb
I put in a Kicker Comp 10 sub and a Rockford Fosgarte P300-1 amp, dynamat, made a spacer ring out of 3/4" mdf and sanded it to match the deck profile. Still had to grind a bit of deck metal as the Kicker's basket was a bit too large. but it's a fairly shallow sub so with the spacer it doesn't intrude into the trunk too badly, the amp fits in the open spot between the units in the left bay, just had to make a mount shelf to lift it 1/2" (plywood). Added a controller under the drivers left kneepanel. After a bit of dialing in it sounds amazing, deep tight bass, no rattles (unless i want to break something).

Whether you do it yourself or have one installed it's a great upgrade, the rest of the system is wonderful, a sub just completes it.

one pic, can't get more than one to load.
Looks good. Try putting some sound deading on the bottom of the rear deck. It makes a really big difference when i did it.

Quick Reply: B&O Subwoofer Upgrade Install Guide