S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

B5 S4 owner looking at purchasing B8.5 S4, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B5 S4 owner looking at purchasing B8.5 S4, have questions

Hello Forum Friends, I am looking to buy a 2016 S4 with 16,000 miles and CPO for $45k. It has the rear sports diff, Technology Package, Carbon trim, Glossy Black Optics, and is Glacier White Metallic. I want to know if the CPO is a good value, and what the fatal flaws in this car are that might not be covered by the CPO. I heard that it doesn't cover timing belt replacement which was a big concern in the B5.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by D'Agua S4
Hello Forum Friends, I am looking to buy a 2016 S4 with 16,000 miles and CPO for $45k. It has the rear sports diff, Technology Package, Carbon trim, Glossy Black Optics, and is Glacier White Metallic. I want to know if the CPO is a good value, and what the fatal flaws in this car are that might not be covered by the CPO. I heard that it doesn't cover timing belt replacement which was a big concern in the B5.

Thanks!
In the case of this '16 S4, I think CPO does not make sense since it is just 1 year old and has 3 more years of bumper-to-bumper warranty left on it. The B8.5 S4/S5 models have been quite reliable. If you do a search in this forum, you'll hardly hear of any major issues with these cars.

FYI, the 3.0L TFSI engine does not have timing belts. They have chains. The timing chain tensioner issues found in the 3.2L V6 FSI engines have been resolved years ago.

As with all used car purchases, it is best to have it inspected and try to learn as much of its service history as possible before deciding to purchase it.

If you plan to keep it for a longer period of time and put in a lot of mileage on it, I suggest saving up to purchase extended warranty on it. Alternatively, start putting money in a Car Repair Fund so you have some 'rainy day' money in case your car needs repairs outside the warranty period.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Unfortunately, the CPO comes with the car and it is being sold through an Audi dealership. It would seem to be a good thing to have on the car in the event I want to resell it before the CPO expires in October of 2021 or 100,000 miles. Also good to hear about the timing chain / belt resolution. Seems to be a great vehicle all around and I've loved owning an S4 for the past 14 years. However, it will take some getting used to not using my left foot and right hand as much while driving as I am getting the automatic.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by D'Agua S4
Unfortunately, the CPO comes with the car and it is being sold through an Audi dealership. It would seem to be a good thing to have on the car in the event I want to resell it before the CPO expires in October of 2021 or 100,000 miles. Also good to hear about the timing chain / belt resolution. Seems to be a great vehicle all around and I've loved owning an S4 for the past 14 years. However, it will take some getting used to not using my left foot and right hand as much while driving as I am getting the automatic.
If it is CPO then I would say, go for it! CPO will give you some peace of mind that the Audi dealer has given it the required inspections.

Don't worry too much about changing from manual shifting to an automatic especially if you are getting an S4 with a dual-clutch tranny. You can still shift manually using the paddle shifters if you want more manual control. It will feel funny at first but you'll get the hang of it.

I used to drive manual years ago and got fed up with it because I was driving through a lot of high traffic areas and along the way is a stretch of read with traffic lights at almost every block or two. Can you imagine driving a Honda VTEC engine and not getting past second gear before hitting another red light. My car went through two clutch master cylinders in the process. I decided that it was time to move on to an automatic.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2016 has been flawless in 13.5k miles.The CPO at that price seems fine, even if just for future resale.

The transmission is great. It gives you plenty of control and options not available with the stick. e.g. You can also use the console snifter to 'manually' shift (like the paddles) if you must. (I can't master using paddles at speed on twisties...but have lost any interest in this now). Once you adjust to the DCT you'll probably like it and not look back except nostalgically or perhaps in a very difficult winter situation. "Sport" mode is very good for performance driving.

(P.S. I hope you like the seats )

Last edited by huskyz; 09-12-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

as a bonus the 2016 is not involved with the TSB for timing chain tensioners.