S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Narrowed my daily driver list include 2012 S4 ...tell me about CPO, ext warranty, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrowed my daily driver list include 2012 S4 ...tell me about CPO, ext warranty, etc

So I think I've about narrowed the list of daily drivers down to CPO Audi S4 (2012 model) or a 2013 328i M Sport.

I don't want to start a debate about BMW or Audi.

What I want to know is what are the primary differences on a 2012 car and the various trims I see listed? Is there anything in particular to stay away from? NAV units prone to fail for example? I don't particularly care for NAV but wouldn't shy away unless I needed to?

Are there any suspension differences between the various S4 trims? Anything to watch out for there?

Also can you all help me think about warranty options for repair/maintenance once warranty is over? It seems CPO is a good option for warranty coverage, but are there big exclusions in the CPO? Are there any "maintenance" type options with these cars similar to BMW's?

The S4 is a much better performing car than the 328i but you pay a bit more in gas, maintenance/repairs might be a wash, it seems other than a few errant water pumps these cars are pretty solid and 2012 seems to have most issues ironed out?

Another big positive for the S4 it seems to retain its value better than a 328i just looking at estimates and current NADA values on an 07 S4 with 100k miles, it's value is about 20k a 2008 BMW 328i with 100k miles is worth about 15k both can be had for mid 30's in CPO form it seems.

I would very much appreciate any additional information and education you all can provide since I'll embark on this hunt likely beginning in mid august.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Forgot to subscribe. And I can't edit posts.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything that I will post about the S4 is secondary to the fact that although the 328 is a nice car, the S4 is a great car.

There are 2 trim levels in the US.(Prestige and Prem +) The Prestige has adaptive headlights and a greater number of standard features. All of the features can be optioned out on a Prem + except the adaptive headlights. I 've had 2 s4s with Nav and one without. Prestige will include Nav. Nav gives you a better B&O radio and more ability to adjust it. There are no real issues with the S4. Early problems with defective water pumps and thermostats have all been replaced under warranty. But persistent t stat failures continue to be reported. On either trim you can get adaptive suspension which allows you to adjust the ride quality of the suspension . On either trim you can get the sports differential. Most, including myself, will tell you not to buy an s4 without the sport dif. It is THE option that makes the s4 special. You can find cars that are CPO'd that will give you an extended factory warranty. Some car have Audicare, which gives you free maintenance. Which isn't free since you paid for in advance. The used s4s are not plentiful and are in high demand. They are holding their value much better than bmw 3 series because they have been trouble free and used B8 S4s are pretty much similar to new ones. Also popular since they can be easily modded for higher performance. Just a better car than the BMW 328 or 335i . S4 is the direct completion to the 335i, not the 328i, with or without X drive
Old 07-04-2014, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DrGP
Everything that I will post about the S4 is secondary to the fact that although the 328 is a nice car, the S4 is a great car.

There are 2 trim levels in the US.(Prestige and Prem +) The Prestige has adaptive headlights and a greater number of standard features. All of the features can be optioned out on a Prem + except the adaptive headlights. I 've had 2 s4s with Nav and one without. Prestige will include Nav. Nav gives you a better B&O radio and more ability to adjust it. There are no real issues with the S4. Early problems with defective water pumps and thermostats have all been replaced under warranty. But persistent t stat failures continue to be reported. On either trim you can get adaptive suspension which allows you to adjust the ride quality of the suspension . On either trim you can get the sports differential. Most, including myself, will tell you not to buy an s4 without the sport dif. It is THE option that makes the s4 special. You can find cars that are CPO'd that will give you an extended factory warranty. Some car have Audicare, which gives you free maintenance. Which isn't free since you paid for in advance. The used s4s are not plentiful and are in high demand. They are holding their value much better than bmw 3 series because they have been trouble free and used B8 S4s are pretty much similar to new ones. Also popular since they can be easily modded for higher performance. Just a better car than the BMW 328 or 335i . S4 is the direct completion to the 335i, not the 328i, with or without X drive
I definitely agree the S4 competes with the 335i and is the better of the two cars. I don't really want a first year 335i and the S4 seems to be the better car IMO. The 328i is a better car than the base A4 IMO the drivetrain is just better...

Which is why it's also a consideration, lower running costs, etc help. But the S4 is probably number one on the list and there doesn't seem to be a shortage when doing a nationwide search. So with 2015's about to come out we'll see continued lease returns on 2012's and 2013's (though i'm not sure I can score a 2013 in the mid/low 30k range).
Old 07-04-2014, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How does the dual clutch compare to the 6MT? Is the dual clutch reliable? Seems that I've driven the 6MT in the A4 and the throws were longish as was the clutch travel, not a bad manual but not great, not sure the same carries over to the S4? My neighbor had a dual clutch for awhile and said it was great but he didn't keep cars more than about 18 months.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
I definitely agree the S4 competes with the 335i and is the better of the two cars. I don't really want a first year 335i and the S4 seems to be the better car IMO. The 328i is a better car than the base A4 IMO the drivetrain is just better...

Which is why it's also a consideration, lower running costs, etc help. But the S4 is probably number one on the list and there doesn't seem to be a shortage when doing a nationwide search. So with 2015's about to come out we'll see continued lease returns on 2012's and 2013's (though i'm not sure I can score a 2013 in the mid/low 30k range).
Bought a 2011 in nice condition with 49K miles 6 weeks ago for $32K. I would expect what you are looking for to cost more. In fact, last yr, I traded in my 2010 and the dealer put it on the lot for $40.5K. Not saying that is what he sold it for.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DrGP
Bought a 2011 in nice condition with 49K miles 6 weeks ago for $32K. I would expect what you are looking for to cost more. In fact, last yr, I traded in my 2010 and the dealer put it on the lot for $40.5K. Not saying that is what he sold it for.
Yeah, there's a few dozen CPO's ranging from mid 30s to upper 30s. With the 2015's around the corner it's just a matter of time. Not a lot of room to negotiate on CPO's I don't think? Maybe 2k tops? Unless I'm mistaken.