S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Backup Camera Stopped Working and TPMS Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Had the MMI TSB update today, which the SA said it was for the internal temperature sensor which had a too narrow of a operation window. On hot days the screen would go blank (safety feature, I guess for the LED backlighting). The TSB software update allows the temperature sensor to reach a higher temperature before the MMI backlight turns off.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedMagma2011S4
Does that mean I can buy a set of aftermarket wheels and winter tires and TPMS will keep working after the swap?
Yes, just reset the TPMS in MMI once you have the tires mounted and at your desired pressure and you are good to go.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedMagma2011S4
Does that mean I can buy a set of aftermarket wheels and winter tires and TPMS will keep working after the swap?
Yep and don't let the guys mouting your new stuff charge you for TPMS either - they will try it at some shops.

Once mounted go into Car -> Setup in the MMI and reset the TPMS so it can learn the new wheel diameters.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Yep and don't let the guys mouting your new stuff charge you for TPMS either - they will try it at some shops.

Once mounted go into Car -> Setup in the MMI and reset the TPMS so it can learn the new wheel diameters.
Awesome, thanks NWS4Guy and dr bryan! That really is a better system than the sensors in the wheel.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by asm777
First time I took the car in, the issue had gone away and the dealer didnt find any fault codes.

The next time, there were fault codes and I had recorded a video of the backup camera not working.

Ended up getting the rear view camera module replaced (not sure if that included the wiring harness).

I actually had to go in a third time to re-calibrate the rear view camera. Only knew it wasn't properly calibrated because of a VCDS fault. Turned out the dealer's calibration equipment was faulty and they had to borrow the equipment from another dealership!

Anyway, hope that helps and that you get yours repaired/replaced too!
Thanks ASM777

Mine also fixed itself after a restart the next day. Seems to be fine right now. So I will have to wait and record it as you said and push for a replacement.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Been having similar problems with the backup cam on my '11 A4 Avant with 4600 miles; 6 months old. First problem occurred about 2 months ago. It now happens at least once a week but "corrects" itself with an engine restart. Having my 5k service done on the 30th and will see if it results in replacement of any parts.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy

Question for you (or anyone that knows). After I do the step quoted is asks if the tires have the right inflation pressure and to store it. Once stored It says the pressure values have been stored, or something to that extent.
Then if I go back into the menu again it asks the same question, is this right?

Is there no way to monitor the actual pressure levels once they are stored? Are we to just wait for it to say that the pressure is low?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
Is there no way to monitor the actual pressure levels once they are stored? Are we to just wait for it to say that the pressure is low?
Exactly how it works. Does not tell you actual pressure, just warns you if it gets low.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The system doesn't actually check the pressure just the diameter of the wheel and tire itself. So make sure you have a proper tire pressure gauge to make sure your cold PSI is where you want it before you reset it.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I would have thought we'd have to add TPMSs to aftermarket wheels. That saves a little money. Does the TPMS reset in MMI also adjust the speedometer if you change between 18" and 19" wheels and differing tire thicknesses?

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Stopped Working and TPMS Recall?