S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Bang and Olufsen (B&O) Subwoofer / Amplifier Add-On DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts
Default break in

After a week of pretty loud music I'm pleased to report that it only gets better with time. The most noticeable difference is the bass that was lacking at low volume has improved considerably. It's generally better across that board, but bass at volume 10 is much fuller and enjoyable. Even my wife complimented how it brought out the deeper tones without overwhelming her in the back seat. She listened to some Bob Marley on it and was very please.

So anybody who's still on the fence, time to hop down. Remember, if you still want more bass you can always add a compact amp later.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine arrived this morning
Old 12-17-2013, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the Pioneer sub from Amazon. Less than $54 shipped. Looks like that will be my first mod.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
To be honest, the sub will change so slowly during break in that I doubt I will be able to notice the difference. I set the bass a little high to see if it later becomes annoyingly high. Without a good SPL meter I won't be able to give any meaningful evaluation.

My general feeling is, if Audi built the system this way, I would not have messed with it. I remember the old adage, "No highs, no lows, must be Bose" and I though of a new one. B&O stands for Bass for Old people.

No offense to any old people that may be reading this.
Please save me some hassle...how did you wire your sub (colours)??
Old 12-21-2013, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Originally Posted by MerkurRS
Please save me some hassle...how did you wire your sub (colours)??
The blue and yellow wire is positive.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I finished with the installation today. It went a bit differently that the previous examples with the JL subwoofers. Total install time was 2.5 hours.

The Good:
Bass is greatly improved. It's not tremendously "louder" but has excellent bass response down to 30 Hz, and also the bass attack is vastly tighter. No more rumbly bumbly boomy bass. I unwrapped the cable going to the sub about 6" and then it was able to reach the back side of the sub without an extension. That means having the terminals concealed on the back side where I won't bang into them. The Dynamat greatly reduced rattle from the rear deck. I showed my wife the old sub and she laughed while asking "Is that a joke?"

The Bad:
While it meshes nicely with the system, it isn't really what I'd call loud bass. You'll need an amp for that. I used to have the bass set to 4 and was unhappy, now I have the bass set to 2 and I'm pretty happy. You won't hear it next door. It might get louder when the new woofer breaks in. It was so tight that I could hardly move it with my hand. Tighter than the old Solobaric I had in my B5. I was hoping to see 20Hz, but really 28Hz was the lowest frequency with an acceptable tone. I can hear 20Hz but it barely registered on the SPL meter. It was more of a wobobobobobow sound than a bass tone.

The Ugly:
This subwoofer has six screw holes and none of them align with the factory screw holes. It also doesn't fit in the cutout (the other install had the same problem). I applied three layers of dynamat and the foam gasket that came with the subwoofer. That gave me a loose fit that tightened up perfectly when I screwed it down. I used the screws that came with the sub which required drilling a small pilot hole with a right angle drill and then screwed it down very snugly. I only used 4 of the six screws because I just couldn't get the drill in the back two holes. Despite that the sub is solidly mounted. I still need the cut off the screws that protrude into the trunk.

The Verdict:
Worth the effort, and I can always add an amp later if I want. The JL sub would be an easier install since it aligns with the three factory screw locations. It about doubles the perception of bass. The phone SPL meter turned out to be utter crap so unfortunately I couldn't get meaningful decibel values to compare with.

Finally here's a few pictures:

Awesome write-up thanks, I ordered mine too 53 shipped. Just wondering did you experience any increased rattles in the cabin?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2013, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Originally Posted by rkool
Awesome write-up thanks, I ordered mine too 53 shipped. Just wondering did you experience any increased rattles in the cabin?
No, but since I already had rattles I added the dynamat and actually eliminated a few rattles. The doors still rattle though.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, but since I already had rattles I added the dynamat and actually eliminated a few rattles. The doors still rattle though.
For the doors rattle there is a TSB actually which I will try to have my dealer apply.

Its TSB 2022773/3
Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the original post:

"Let's wire in the LOC. The wires we're after are White and Yellow (positive) and Blue and Yellow (negative). These can be cut directly, no splicing."

what are those wires and why can they just be cut? Thanks.

Steve
Old 12-30-2013, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Originally Posted by Steve Trac, Sec 303
From the original post:

"Let's wire in the LOC. The wires we're after are White and Yellow (positive) and Blue and Yellow (negative). These can be cut directly, no splicing."

what are those wires and why can they just be cut? Thanks.
The wires that went to the old B&O sub terminate on a black locking connector. I cut the wires as close to the plastic as I could then stripped about half an inch of insulation back and then connected it to the terminals on the new sub. You will need to unravel some of the fabric tape to get enough wire length to reach the back of your new sub.

Since the new sub fires in the opposite direction as the old one, BLUE/YELLOW goes to the RED terminal, and WHITE/YELLOW goes to the black terminal. You will also need to add a wire jumper between the middle two terminals to put the voice coils in series.

Last edited by Bobby Kinstle; 12-30-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Bang and Olufsen (B&O) Subwoofer / Amplifier Add-On DIY