S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

BJ's Gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pworld
Rats! no Arco! lol. Got to find an affordable Mobil, Shell or Chevron with Techron in the next week.
You must be bouncing off the walls waiting for your new ride to get here!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI
No, on my list in my brandnew a6 Sonoco is on there.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the ethanol, and by 2013 our fuel will be 20% ethanol. Which means even less engine performance

You can think the left side enviro nuts for that one

The closest non ethanol station is 460 miles from me, they are becoming few and far between
It has nothing to do with the environmentalists - it's big corn growers wanting to sell government subsidized corn-based ethanol which is a losing proposition for everyone except the farming conglomerates. http://www.gimme-five.com/2007/06/et...corn-is-worse/
Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For what it's worth, I only fill up with Shell or Mobil. At least Shell has a tie to Stop & Shop points so you can take up to $.30 per gallon off.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IvanS4
It has nothing to do with the environmentalists - it's big corn growers wanting to sell government subsidized corn-based ethanol which is a losing proposition for everyone except the farming conglomerates. http://www.gimme-five.com/2007/06/et...corn-is-worse/
totally true.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by troposphere
totally true.
Yup.......put an end to subsidizing the ethanol crap, lowering my fuel economy, and driving up food costs as a result.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default BJ's unofficial response

Originally Posted by Pyro451
BJ's wholesale club.

I guess I'm not surprised a discount gas station has a lower quality product. The only name brand gas I have near home are Sunoco, Hess and Mobil. I have been gassing up at a Cumberland Farms (convenience store) for convenience. I suppose I should switch to Sunoco?
Received BJ's seeming standard response about their gas, while it is still an unknown supplier they apparently do contain additives:

"Thank you for contacting BJ'S Member Care with your inquiry.

Depending on the trade area, BJ'S buys unbranded gasoline from many different suppliers, be they national brand refiners or smaller independent refiner/suppliers. Though BJ'S purchases from many sources to maintain our low prices, please be assured that BJ'S gas maintains the strict quality guideline established by the Federal Government's Environmental Protection Agency. At all times, though, BJ'S gas maintains the strict quality guidelines established by the federal government's Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). We sell 87 Octane Regular Unleaded and 93 Octane Premium Unleaded. BJ'S gasoline contains all detergent additives required by EPA guidelines."
Old 11-16-2016, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

While ethanol does reduce fuel economy it does the exact opposite for performance. Ethanol raises the octane of fuel and burns cooler allowing more aggressive spark timing which in turn makes more power. In older vehicles it can cause problems because it dissolves certain kinds of rubber. All newer cars are built to deal with ethanol so no issues. My boat (1968) always gets ethanol free. My cars get top tier ethanol blended fuel.

Here's a handy site for top tier fuels:
Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas
Old 11-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pworld
Rats! no Arco! lol. Got to find an affordable Mobil, Shell or Chevron with Techron in the next week.
Just buy the Techron and put it in yourself if you are worried.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Costco

Costco is Tier 1...and have always used (93 here) for the S4 and X5...but - DrGP is right...I usually thrown in a bottle of Techron....or the Luboly cleaning product every few months.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
While ethanol does reduce fuel economy it does the exact opposite for performance. Ethanol raises the octane of fuel and burns cooler allowing more aggressive spark timing which in turn makes more power. In older vehicles it can cause problems because it dissolves certain kinds of rubber. All newer cars are built to deal with ethanol so no issues. My boat (1968) always gets ethanol free. My cars get top tier ethanol blended fuel.

Here's a handy site for top tier fuels:
Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas
That is not true. Ethanol produces less power per unit than gasoline reducing engine performance. Ethanol costs more to produce and produces less power. There would probably not be a single gallon of ethanol produced if tax payer subsidies were ended.

EDIT: My phone started ringing as I wrote the above so didn't have time to complete the thought.

Ethanol produces far less energy than gasoline so fuel economy and power are reduced. Your statement could be theoretically correct but in the real world it's not true.

Consider a modern high performance gas engine requiring 89 octane gas. Burning ethanol that engine produces lowered fuel economy and reduced performance compared to gas. IF the owner could advance his ignition timing he might be able to improve performance and overcome the loss of power caused by ethanol but he can't actually advance ignition timing because his engine is computer controlled. An ECM manages ignition timing.

Perhaps the owner could advance ignition timing and regain lost horsepower on a high performance gas V8 of the late '50s through about 1970 if the compression ratio was high enough to take advantage of advanced ignition timing. Ignition timing was manually controlled by rotating the distributor back then. Not today.

Last edited by HBarlow; 12-13-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: BJ's Gas