S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Strange Noise (kinda long post)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Noise (kinda long post)

So, for some time now, when I start up my car, after a few moments, there's a strange noise coming from the dashboard. It's coming from the center all the way forward, just in front of the grille thing in the dashboard. It's a very noticeable (can even be heard over a loud radio), popping noise.

The can does not have to be driving to hear it, even when idling it happens. It only happens when the car is completely cold (ie. hasn't been driven for a at least many hours), so I hear it 99% of the time in the morning when I leave for work. The popping noise will occur anywhere from 5 or 6 to dozens of times and after 5 to 10 minutes, it goes away and isn't heard from until the car is started cold again.

I was thinking that perhaps it's due to expansion (as the car heats up) in the ventilation system and that there are a couple of parts that aren't fitting together as well as they should. I've tried adjusting the ventilation to direct the air to my face, feet, etc. and even tried turning the air system off completely ... but the sound is still there, regardless of the climate control settings.

Any thoughts? I'm at around 2000K miles, so I'm a bit off from my first service, but I may take it in earlier to take care of this. I just don't want to be without my car. PLUS ... it seems like any time I've got something quirky that's wrong with a car, service techs can never "recreate" what I'm getting.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will pay extra attention but I haven't experienced anything similar. I live in Buffalo so I have already experienced some "cold" starts. Like I said I will listen carefully and let you know.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounde very odd, the only sound I get is when I open the driver's door, I can her a mechanical whizz sound coming from the passenger's rear side, which is the fuel pump pre-loading to start the car (since it's direct injection it takes a lot of pressure).
Old 01-17-2010, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Sounde very odd, the only sound I get is when I open the driver's door, I can her a mechanical whizz sound coming from the passenger's rear side, which is the fuel pump pre-loading to start the car (since it's direct injection it takes a lot of pressure).
This is what I hear too and may be what you are describing Chris. I hear it every time in the morning when I get into my car.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It probably the stepper motor .
Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zillmc
This is what I hear too and may be what you are describing Chris. I hear it every time in the morning when I get into my car.
Hmmm ... I don't know. It's a very "plastic-y" sound. It doesn't sound mechanical at all and it's most certainly from the front and center of the dash board. It's like a quick, loud popping/snapping sound. I guess I just need to take it in ...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, what I am referring to is the whirr of a little motor, nothing pops, nothing plasticy. Sounds like something loose on the dash, or steering if it's coming from where you say - the fuel pump I am hearing is in the rear of the car in the gas tank.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My bet is the stepper motor for the heater system - it opens the hot air mix inlet in " steps " as the engine coolant temperature rises so that you are not blown fridgid air from the floor ducts as you first drive off . It makes a series of subtle plasticky pop/click and even faint groan sounds as it does so. It's located where you describe it. Most Audi's do this .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

Last edited by Inclined; 01-18-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Inclined
My bet is the stepper motor for the heater system - it opens the hot air mix inlet in " steps " as the engine coolant temperature rises so that you are not blown fridgid air from the floor ducts as you first drive off . It makes a series of subtle plasticky pop/click and even faint groan sounds as it does so. It's located where you describe it. Most Audi's do this .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor
That sounds like a good candidate. It's VERY loud though. I was listening to "Come Sail Away" the other day (the stereo was quite loud) and it was at the part of the song where it builds up loudly (for the second time) and I could still hear the annoying noise from the dash! Thanks for all of everyone's suggestions and theories. I appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never hear any loud sounds with my S4. I do hear the fuel pump whirr when I first unlock the doors, but that's it. No loud pops or cracks. I think you should have the dealer take a look at it.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise (kinda long post)