S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Bluetooth question. My phone seems to connect, disconnect, reconnect on a peridoic..

Old 01-24-2010, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth question. My phone seems to connect, disconnect, reconnect on a peridoic..

basis. It is an LG phone (Verizon). Seems to connect for 30 secs or so then disconnect for a few minutes, then repeat cycle. Any insight?

Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited by rktskicar; 01-24-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Bruce, if you haven't already, try checking your LG phone to see if it's Bluetooth settings are still set to be in the 'Discovery' mode in which it tries to pair itself to another device.

Also check to see if there is an option to "Hide" the device. Once you set up the bluetooth on your phone and MMI you can turn your device to Hidden so it doesn't search or get searched by other devices. You should have your Audi MMI in the Trusted Devices list (or whatever LG calls it).
Old 01-24-2010, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Discovery is set for hands free on LG (audio device). It is a trusted device UHV 2109. It looks like to me that it comes up and says "Bluetooth Device Connected" on phone, then that goes out and after 15 sec another message saying "Bluetooth PBAP requested by Audi UHV 2109, Accept?" on phone. The second message, I believe is a message to upload phone book to car from phone. It looks like to me that if I do nothing, it disconnects my phone. Then tries again in a few minutes.

Bruce
Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

If it's possible, try turning the Discovery mode off, it sounds like this is what could be causing the problem, as it sounds like it's constantly trying to discover a device, and it successfully does so in your Audi but gets stuck in the infinite loop your are facing. You really only want Discovery enabled when first pairing the phone then switching it off.

You might want to try from scratch and remove all trusted devices. Re-add the Audi as a trusted device in the phone, then change the Discovery mode to off, and make the device as "Hidden". No idea how this works on the LG phone but both my previous Samsung phones had this sort of functionality so I'd imagine it's the same on most devices.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

there is no option for turning discovery mode off on my phone.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
basis. It is an LG phone (Verizon). Seems to connect for 30 secs or so then disconnect for a few minutes, then repeat cycle. Any insight?

Thanks,
Bruce
I had a similar problem in my B7 A4 with a Samsung phone a couple of times. Whenever it happened, I would remove the phone battery for a few minutes to completely power it off and that would fix the problem.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There should definately be a way to turn off discovery, and just have BT turned on.

Discovery is when the phone is soliciting anything listening, saying "HI! I want to connect to someone here I am!" rather than just checking it's approved list and seeing if those few devices are availible or not. No device should stay in discovery, this will greatly increase the battery drain.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I figured it out. When first "Bluetooth PBAP requested by Audi UHV 2109, Accept?" message comes up on my phone and I accept it, it stays connected and works fine. If I do nothing when this message comes up, it goes into this periodic connect/disconnect/reconnect/disconnect cycle.

Bruce
Old 01-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Do you need to acknowledge each time?

My LG work phone does the same thing (can't figure out which model it is), but eventually it seems to give up and work fine. Does your model allow BT access to the phones directory through MMI?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does (3+ year old windows smartphone). I was prompted as soon as I paired the phone with the car. On the phone screen was the message: Audi MMI <random # here> wants to access your directory, do you wish to allow this?

Chose yes, and it downloaded the entire directory no problems. This past Sunday I was in the car waiting on my wife and cleaning up my phone directory and as I was deleting entries, they were going poof from my MMI.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bluetooth question. My phone seems to connect, disconnect, reconnect on a peridoic..