AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   Break Squeal Saga Continues (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/break-squeal-saga-continues-2841786/)

Lawaspen 01-31-2013 05:22 PM

Break Squeal Saga Continues

I have posted a few times on this subject. dealer has the car and is frustrated with AOA. AOA asked dealer to record the squeal for them to make a determination. Can you believe this? Like AOA doesn't know about break squeal? I am at a loss for more words.

MeehowTT 01-31-2013 05:54 PM

Let me know if you get anywhere, I'm dealing with the same issue.

Audi55 01-31-2013 08:18 PM

Same with me. After 22k miles, I was fed up and took it to Audi. My SA calls me to tell me that he needs the ok from AoA. I call AoA and open a case. It took them a week to 'study' the situation. They declined the TSB because my brakes are too worn out at this point. Told them this has been happening since day one. They said that I should have complained earlier -- so now the burden is on me. I told them there is a TSB for a reason.

Anyways, long story short, I am not happy with AoA. They refused to stand behind their product.

What happened with your situation?

Greeney 02-01-2013 05:37 AM

You all need to obtain attorneys and have them send a letter in. AoA will gladly oblige then.

Egan917 02-01-2013 07:41 AM

Same issues on a '13 S4 1100 miles. Sounds like I'm driving an 85 Buick and both dealer and AoA say it's "within normal operating ranges for brake noise"

Goony 02-01-2013 06:42 PM

I have not hade any cold weather queal/groan issues since the TSB was applied.

well_armed 02-01-2013 07:34 PM

Where are you guys located?

I am curious to see if the squealing stops once dot stops treating the roads (salt, etc.).

ob_1jr 02-01-2013 11:49 PM

i have the squeal too. there has been nothing put on the road. it only squeals when it is fairly cold. my car has not seen snow

ninjajack 02-03-2013 05:49 AM

My 2010 S4 had squeaky brakes only when the temps were below 35 degrees or so and only under very light pressure. IN other words, at the very end of the stop, the squeal would start.
Anyway, took it to dealer, YBH of Edgemont, PA and they replaced both the rotors and the pads at no charge!
This was at 26,000 miles! No, I am not unhappy with AofA!
Squeal has improved but when it is very cold, still apparent. I really don't care.

Egan917 02-03-2013 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by ninjajack (Post 24403504)
My 2010 S4 had squeaky brakes only when the temps were below 35 degrees or so and only under very light pressure. IN other words, at the very end of the stop, the squeal would start.
Anyway, took it to dealer, YBH of Edgemont, PA and they replaced both the rotors and the pads at no charge!
This was at 26,000 miles! No, I am not unhappy with AofA!
Squeal has improved but when it is very cold, still apparent. I really don't care.

That's exactly what I have on a '13 S4, seems that when I am "gently" coming to a stop and the temps are below 30 they squeal, if it's warmer or if I come to a more abrupt stop then they're dead silent.

DrGP 02-03-2013 11:06 AM

When I took my car in for the brake squeal(and it is still there but significantly reduced)I was given a pamphlet from Audi explaining why they squeal as if they were not really interested in solving the problem. But the reality is, bite the bullet and get yourself some new ceramic brake pads. They will not squeal and they will not create brake dust.

Egan917 02-04-2013 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by DrGP (Post 24403624)
When I took my car in for the brake squeal(and it is still there but significantly reduced)I was given a pamphlet from Audi explaining why they squeal as if they were not really interested in solving the problem. But the reality is, bite the bullet and get yourself some new ceramic brake pads. They will not squeal and they will not create brake dust.

I have a friend with ceramics on an S4 with no noise and no dust as DrGP mentioned; personally I am going to continue to push AoA to do something about it though as I just don't personally see how a brand new $60k car can have brake noise like a car from the 80's. At the very least I would expect AoA to cover costs of ceramic pads/install but we shall see...

jaybar 02-04-2013 07:55 AM

I posted this in another thread.

I took my 2012 S4 in for brake squeal 1 month ago. first TSB says for the dealer to sand brake pads down. That didn't work so they called HQ and Audi ok'd them to replace my front pads and rotors.. Let my car with them for 5 days so they had plenty of time to replicate the squeal.

Bas_sob 02-04-2013 05:39 PM

Man, I don't know what dealer you guys go to but I'm an tech and we perform the tsb where you sand the pads all the time. But s4 brake wear fairly quickly about 35k. Technically the warranty for brake noise is 12/12000, but just to keep customers happy our dealer will eat the cost, and the tsb does work if done right, but only for a little while

PhantomB8S4 02-04-2013 09:22 PM

just bought a 2011 S4 with 6k miles on it and had it for about 2 weeks now and I seem to be having the same problem which seemed to have started as of yesterday!

zerinS4 02-05-2013 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

Just had this issue addressed yesterday on my 2010 S4. All the info is in the workorder below. No fuss, no muss from the dealer and the problem is definitely gone. This TSB only covers cars to a certain build week in 2010 so I'm not sure when the cut off is. Basically all new rotors, pads, carriers and bolts.

Attachment 104535

Goony 02-05-2013 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bas_sob (Post 24404194)
and the tsb does work if done right, but only for a little while

Ummm.........over a year now and no noise since the TSB fix.

MeehowTT 02-08-2013 01:21 PM

Where did you get the TSB Done?

AutoHaus Lancaster by any chance. I'm having a really hard time getting it done on my 2012 S4. IF you have any contacts you could pass along, that would be great.

Originally Posted by Goony (Post 24404621)
Ummm.........over a year now and no noise since the TSB fix.

Goony 02-08-2013 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by MeehowTT (Post 24405871)
AutoHaus Lancaster by any chance. I'm having a really hard time getting it done on my 2012 S4. IF you have any contacts you could pass along, that would be great.

Yes, Autohaus Lancaster. I was one of the first to have it done back in January 2012. If you're not getting satisfaction, call Customer Care and ask them to get involved.

zerinS4 02-09-2013 04:52 AM

2012 S4s do not qualify under the TSB as they supposedly have the updated parts already.

Originally Posted by MeehowTT (Post 24405871)

MeehowTT 02-11-2013 04:50 AM

Have't gotten a clear answer

My brakes squeak like crazy. Started a case with AUDI Relations, told me to reach out to the dealer. What a ****ty run around.

Originally Posted by zerinS4 (Post 24406040)
2012 S4s do not qualify under the TSB as they supposedly have the updated parts already.

Nickyboy 02-12-2013 08:13 AM

My 2013 S4 has had squeaky brakes. Had the front discs and pads replaced today with 8500 miles on the clock. Just hope it's sorted it.

GR8-LIFE 02-12-2013 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Audi55 (Post 24402636)
Same with me. After 22k miles, I was fed up and took it to Audi. My SA calls me to tell me that he needs the ok from AoA. I call AoA and open a case. It took them a week to 'study' the situation. They declined the TSB because my brakes are too worn out at this point. Told them this has been happening since day one. They said that I should have complained earlier -- so now the burden is on me. I told them there is a TSB for a reason.

Anyways, long story short, I am not happy with AoA. They refused to stand behind their product.

What happened with your situation?

you must document, especially within the 1st 24 months (the lemon law period) I discovered my 2013 A8 had very grabby brakes. Have noticed it in the 1st month of ownership. I took it into the dealer to tell them but I also said I wanted to give her a break-in period. My S4 was strange too but after 1K miles, I began to see how well the S4 stopped! But the A8 now has over 2500 mi still with grabby brakes. So I called the dealer and they said yes, "we do see you had mentioned grabby brakes awhile back." They told me to bring the car in when I have time

Egan917 02-12-2013 02:39 PM

Got the car back from the dealer who also spoke to AoA on the issue, they ended up "removing brakes, cleaning all contact points, lubing guides". Surprisingly so far the brakes are dead silent now, not sure how long that will last though we shall see.

On a side note, driving the A4 loaner made me realize just how powerful the S4 brakes really are --- nearly went flying past my side street on the way back from the dealer in the A4..

gk1 02-13-2013 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mark_nimda (Post 24407456)
you must document, especially within the 1st 24 months (the lemon law period) I discovered my 2013 A8 had very grabby brakes. Have noticed it in the 1st month of ownership. I took it into the dealer to tell them but I also said I wanted to give her a break-in period. My S4 was strange too but after 1K miles, I began to see how well the S4 stopped! But the A8 now has over 2500 mi still with grabby brakes. So I called the dealer and they said yes, "we do see you had mentioned grabby brakes awhile back." They told me to bring the car in when I have time

A 2013 A8 with ANY issue at 2500 miles even if its the first time reported should be looked at by the dealer without any hassle whatsoever. It's their brand new top model. I would go nuts if they gave me any hassle with any issue on a $90k+ A8. But that's just me. :)

GUEST123 02-13-2013 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by gk1 (Post 24407759)
A 2013 A8 with ANY issue at 2500 miles even if its the first time reported should be looked at by the dealer without any hassle whatsoever. It's their brand new top model. I would go nuts if they gave me any hassle with any issue on a $90k+ A8. But that's just me. :)

+1 ^

Just saw an super clean black A8 with the W12 badge on it this afternoon pulling into a parking lot I was walking through. Very quiet and really elegant looking. Too big of a car for me though, but still nice.

Tweakophyte 02-14-2013 04:57 AM

Does anyone have a recording of this squeal? I don't doubt there is an issue, and am curious how it sounds.

GR8-LIFE 02-14-2013 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by gk1 (Post 24407759)

I didnt say anything about about the dealer hassling my A8 with my grabby brake issue. What I was trying to point out was the importance of documentaion from the moment you observe the problem. In the case of my A8, I let them know about the brakes immediately. The car will probably be brought in to be looked at soo and that is my responsibility but there is documentation that I have had grabby brakes early on.

Whenever you feel something is wrong, no matter how subtle it may be, it is in your best interest to notify your dealer immediately. You dont even have to go in. My SA and I have a relationship where when I have a problem, I email him and have him document it on my file. He documents it then within a few days, I bring the car in. In addition, I also email AoA so they have a record of it (even though they can retrieve it form the dealer). I always keep AoA in the loop, especially with recurring issues. Then I always follow it up with an email. If you file for Lemon law (like i did), you will need all the documentation you can get your hands on.

Lawaspen 02-14-2013 09:30 AM

I do, not the greatest recording. e-mail me at alan@aspen-law.com

seinsmeld13 02-15-2013 02:35 AM

It's brake not break.

StevehamS4 02-16-2013 06:05 AM

I had the brake noise for about 2 weeks recently and it has since gone away. I think it was due to the hot/cold/rain/snow and salt in the past month.
Never tried ceramic pads but have done hundreds of brake jobs in the past 35+ years. Even before the man made replacements for Asbestos.

One thing has always been the case.

Brake noise is cause by high frequency vibration. The harder, smoother and shinier the two surfaces the more squeal. Pads that make dust are softer and brake better. Hard pads have less wear and less dust. Wear is the dust you see. My previous BMW had severe dust but stopped on a dime. They were also velvet smooth. They never made a sound.

Hard pads also create more heat because they don't stop as well. Heat creates warping and a mess of other issues including a flat shiny surface.

Ceramic pads have to be harder so how do they effect the rotors? Too much heat can warp the rotors so have been passing on using them.

I always replaced my BMW pads with the OEM Textar pads. Best brake feel and stopping distance I ever saw. Yes had to replace them more often and also with new rotors all the time. Not sure of the mileage. When you pay 55-60k for a car it is worth replacing the brakes and rotors. The dust is a by product you have to deal with by protectants and maintanence. I often just wash the wheels in between car washes since on decent days the car stays clean but the wheels make the car dirty looking.

Only have an Audi for a year I am not sure about the rotor and brake wear yet but will be reluctant to put the ceramics on for a daily driver.

Is rotor replacement with brake pad replacement normal with Audi?
What are the reviews of the ceramic pads and were the rotors replaced at the same time?

Lawaspen 02-18-2013 08:56 PM

Problem solved for now

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13 (Post 24408360)
It's brake not break.

Very true. I think everyone knows that but are a little less concerned about typos over the brake problem.

My dealer did a great job and replaced the brakes. Put 500 miles on the car since the job done and so far no squealing. Keeping fingers crossed. I can say with certainty that Audi now knows a lot about this problem so feel free to hammer them on it and you should get the job done

Nickyboy 02-18-2013 11:26 PM

These are my brakes after being replaced.

BoostLE 02-20-2013 09:55 AM

OMG that sounds horrible. I'd crash into things just so I don't have to use the brakes. Hope they it sorted out quickly.

FatalBert 02-24-2013 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nickyboy (Post 24409942)
http://youtu.be/ebtu_fMd6j0

These are my brakes after being replaced.

Comes with the territory of big brakes. Don't Lambos and other exotic cars do the same thing?

BoostLE 02-25-2013 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by FatalBert (Post 24411832)
Comes with the territory of big brakes. Don't Lambos and other exotic cars do the same thing?

No, that's not aggressive pad noise. There's a strange harmonic issue going on for sure.

Nickyboy 02-26-2013 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by BoostLE (Post 24410430)
OMG that sounds horrible. I'd crash into things just so I don't have to use the brakes. Hope they it sorted out quickly.

To update.

I have given the car back to Audi until its sorted as I don't want to drive it. I have a brand new S5 cab until mine is sorted. Can't see it being quick though.