S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Buying 2013- Ice Silver /Alcatera Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2013- Ice Silver /Alcatera Question

I am coming back to Audi after driving an M3 for 7 years. Looking forward!

I am finalizing my 2013 order for my S4. I have settled on Ice Silver but debating the Alu-stone guards. Does any have a picture of the Ice Silver with the Alu stone guards? My concern is that you won't see them as well on Ice Silver.

Also, debating Alcatera vs. leather. I am sure this is a dead horse that has been beat many times, but I wanted to better understand how much wear and staining people get with the Alcatera over time. I tend to keep my cars (purchasing- not leasing) for 5-8 years and I have 4 young kids, so I am concerned that come year 6, they will be stained and worn and hurt resale and the overall driving experience.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

My dealer (who I have a very good relationship with) told me that with the Alcantera and only the two of us we'd be fine. However, he did caution that with kids you would be better off in the long run with leather.

Coming from leather sport seats in my A4, I'm really pleased with the Alcantera inserts so far.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a S6 Avant with silver alcantara and put 60,000 miles on it with two young boys. The alcantara wears incredibly well and is easy to clean. A damp cloth takes care of almost everything. Try hot chocolate! Washed right out. Eventually you will get a little pilling on the alcantara. Buy a $12.00 fabric shaver and that will take the pilling out. Looks like new after that.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've got silver alcantara and a 20 month old son, my solution for now is the rear seat cover http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4-...ior/ES1877423/

mine doesn't say truth in engineering and just has the 4 rings but it does a fantastic job of keeping the rear clean - I would use it even if I chose full leather
Old 08-17-2012, 04:52 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest that if you have kids or dogs, the leather will hold up better in the long term. Liquids and dirt will obviously get on the upholstery. Its easier to clean it off leather. I also suggest getting Black leather. If it get scuffed, you can just take a little black shoe polish to restore the leather. My $.02. Nothing wrong with the Alcantera. Much better than leatherette.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the Alacantra-to be honest I was a little worried but I went with it as I was in need of a car and the S4 I got have everything else I was looking for--minus the leather.

In 6 months of driving I am very pleased with how it is holding up. I also am happy with how the Alacantra really holds you in place in very spirited driving---no sliding at all---you stay 100% planted.

So overall I have been very pleased with the alacantra seat surfaces.

No regrets. They are solid.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two kids, ages 8 and 11, and after three years on Alcantara the seats look...brand new.

It's a great material.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ive only had mine with alcantara for a month or so now. Love it but cant really comment on the durability yet. Those who have had it for awhile, any special care info you can share?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Ice Silver with Alu stone guards?

Thanks. It seems like most people feel like leather may be more durable over time, but with the right care, alcatera can do pretty well.

Anyone have Alu stone guards on an ice silver car? If so, could you send a pic?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 AM
esz
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by virsipe
Thanks. It seems like most people feel like leather may be more durable over time, but with the right care, alcatera can do pretty well.

Anyone have Alu stone guards on an ice silver car? If so, could you send a pic?
I am picking up my MY13 Ice Silver with alu stone guards on Monday evening and will post a pic.

Quick Reply: Buying 2013- Ice Silver /Alcatera Question