S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Buying one! S4 or A4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying one! S4 or A4?

Hi all,

I'm in the market to purchase my first Audi. I've been a Mini Cooper S owner for quite a few years. I love the way they handle, but they just don't fit my needs any longer. I've narrowed my search down to the A4 (2013-2016) and the S4 from a similar year range. Quattro and Automatic for sure, and I've been looking at Premium Plus/Prestige models. I want a backup camera but don't need the Nav. I always use Google on my phone, though it seems like the two features are always together anyways. I've test driven several A4's and really like the fit, finish, and feel. The last one I drove was Glacier white, with dark chestnut brown interior, and I fell in love. I didn't get that one, but now I have a better idea of what I like.

I wanted to ask for your opinions on the A4 vs the S4?

Is the extra power worth the drop in MPG and extra sticker price? Is one engine more reliable? Does the A4 have a softer, more pleasant ride?

Anything specific to those years/models I should be on the look out for in my test drives? I am fairly mechanical and do all my own repair work.

Thanks!,

Nick
Old 01-27-2019, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's a good question DrGP. One that I need to figure out myself. Going to test drive an S4 this week. Thanks for the reply,

The sport dif option, is that the adjustable suspension package I've read about or something different? I really like driving a sporty car with firm handling most of the time. But when I'm just cruising having something that rides softly is important too. Coming from My Mini Cooper with very stiff suspension, its a fun car to drive, but one nobody else likes riding in.

I do like the chestnut brown, but I've only seen it in a couple A4s with in 500mi, I have yet to see it in an S4. I may never find that.

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2019, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Get the s4 sir

Originally Posted by simpsonna
That's a good question DrGP. One that I need to figure out myself. Going to test drive an S4 this week. Thanks for the reply,

The sport dif option, is that the adjustable suspension package I've read about or something different? I really like driving a sporty car with firm handling most of the time. But when I'm just cruising having something that rides softly is important too. Coming from My Mini Cooper with very stiff suspension, its a fun car to drive, but one nobody else likes riding in.

I do like the chestnut brown, but I've only seen it in a couple A4s with in 500mi, I have yet to see it in an S4. I may never find that.

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is awesome!

So how do I know if the car I'm looking at has the SD? Especially if its just an add on?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ah, I found some threads discussing that. I've seen a picture of the sport diff from under the car, and I see how you can find it in the MMI. Now I just need to test drive one.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try AZ as well.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove a 2013 S4 with SD yesterday. I was happy to have found one with only 40,000 miles on it and they were asking 24k. I was disappointed to find that it was very abused and in bad shape. I did enjoy driving the car for the little test drive I did. I can certainly feel the difference from an A4, but it didn't feel quite as powerful as I had imagined. There are only 3 within 300 miles of me that match what I am looking for, that was one of them. There is another with 70,000 miles for 22k that I am planning to test drive tomorrow. I'm just not sure how much I would be happy with that mileage.

Don't get me wrong, I've never bought any vehicle with less than 80,000 before, but I've really never paid 20k for any of them either. I'm not scared of a little maintenance, but I don't like to gamble with that much money.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Hands down, the S4
Old 02-28-2019, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I’ve had both cars and I also highly recommend the S4. The A4 is a really nice car for the average person, but the S4 is on another level. I leased a 2014 A4 for 3 years. During that time, it served my needs. Daily driving in San Francisco, and the occasional road trip to Los Angeles. However, coming from an E92 335i, I was craving a little more power. When that lease was over, I did a lease takeover of a 2015 S4 that had 1 year left. I loved the car so much that I bought it after the lease ended. The non-enthusiasts will think that they look almost identical. However, they are completely different cars. Major differences are engine, suspension, brakes, wheels, exhaust, seats, steering wheel…just to name a few. The maintenance on the S4 might be a little more expensive, but so far, mine has been pretty much bulletproof. The only problem I’ve had to get fixed was a broken sun visor clip.

So, it depends on what your needs and wants are. You can’t go wrong with either. If you’re not in a hurry and plan to keep the car for a long time, take your time in finding a lower mileage S4. Two years ago, I went all the way across the country to New York to get my S4 that only had 21K miles. My search might have been a little more difficult though, since I only wanted a 6MT.