S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Can't decide between Audi or BMW, well there's more than that.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
If you are thinking of leasing, you will most likely get a better lease deal on the BMW. Although if you do lease an S4 and don't go over your mileage, you car will probably have equity at the end of the lease which you can capture by trading your car in (doesn't have to be on an Audi/VW)prior to the lease end. If you are buying, financially there will not be a difference. Sometimes, Audi has $1000 Conquest money that they will give you if you currently own or trade in a BMW/MB/Lexus. Not sure if that program is currently being offered. I had an 04 S4, 07 335i, 10 S4, 14 S4 all of which I leased. Overall operating cost for the BMW was less, EXCEPT, I ended up with $3k buying my leased S4and reselling it. Got $6k by trading my 2010 in on a 2014. Was able to get out of my lease in 10 month for $1k and bought a used 2011. (It did make sense for me due to health issues.)

All that being said,the current 335i is a minor evolutionary change from my E92 335i. Its your money and you can spend it as you desire. Both are good cars, IMHO, I was willing to spend more for a car that I felt was significantly better than the BMW. BTW, Car and Driver recently did comparison between a B8.5 S5 and a 435i. Both are pretty much 2 door versions of the S4 and 335i. The S5 blew away the 435i in most categories. Decisive victory for the Audi. I was a guy that always had to have the latest and greatest new thing in cars. When my lease on my 335i was up, I leased an new 2010 with less options on it just to keep the monthly payments the same as I had had on the BMW. I was not sorry. When lease was up on the 10, I could not find anything that I liked better, so I leased a new 2014 S4. When I decided I needed to get out of the lease on the 2014, I realised that there was nothing out there that I would be happy driving, so I found a 2011 in great shape that I purchased. BTW, I recently had a good look at a 335i Grand coupe. It is not pretty!
I had an E90 and I think the F30 is a huge regression, especially the steering. BMW has free maintenance but it has to, since the car is in the dealer every month for something or other. Blown halogen bulbs, seat sensors, wheel sensors, lights on the dash. I loved my BMW but I value my time more now. The Audi has been bulletproof, other than the normal wear and tear of the 10 days a year I put it on track. It just needs brakes and tires and oil. 0 defects.

BMW leases are stupid cheap because of the pyramid finance scheme they have going.

The main reason to get an S4 is still the sports diff, the special interior treatment equivalent to an M3, and the base price under $50,000 for what is essentially a loaded car to most people. Quattro is an amazing safety and performance system for the small penalty of 180 pounds in the floor boards.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default What do brakes cost?

After your track run,what do new brakes cost, and where do you get them done?
Old 09-04-2014, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jyges
After your track run,what do new brakes cost, and where do you get them done?
I'm assuming this is directed at me, if not please ignore.

I've attended 2 autocrosses and 2 track events, I've daily driven my car now for a 1.5 years, and my '13 S4 now has racked up 43,xxx miles..... I have not had to do my brakes yet (though I'm assuming it'll be due soon).

When my brakes are due, I plan to purchase rotors and pads online then have an independent shop perform the labor.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any S4 that sees track time (more than 4 days in the life of the car) needs a bigger rotor than OEM. Cost is usually secondary to safety in that case, meaning you're not worried about saving $100 to get into a much more expensive off track incident.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I purchased my 2014 Audi S4 in June of this year and considered the BMW 335i with X drive, BMW 435i, and one Mercedes that I have since forgotten..

The Mercedes is junk in my opinion and if u want AWD its even more crap.

BMW 435i was a great but Im 6'1 and do have friends so I would have needed the then unavailable Gran Coupe

The BMW 335i is a remarkable car that BMW has perfected and screwed over again and again. That being said it was the only remaining competitor to the S4

After numerous test drives I found that the 335 had a much better sounding engine. May seem weird but the purr of a 335 is preferred over the propeller plane of the s4. Also the BMW is lighter than the S4. With that being said the S4 had the better handling, acceleration, Horsepower and torque off the lot. One other thing of note was the interior. BMWs interior just feels like the same old thing from 1999. Were I found Audi interior to be so much more interesting. Everything from the leather (Which if you go fine Nappa its the best Ive ever sat in) to the look and layout of the Dashboard/Center Console.

So for me the S4 won 0-60, Torque, HP, and AWD with the Quattro. Add the BMW slaying interior in the S4 and my decision became a no-brainer.

Message me and I can tell you even more about my experiences with both cars
Old 09-09-2014, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

any issues with your s4 ? what tranny?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Great posts and comments by most.
I'd have to say after driving 5 series' for a decade, and the wife's X5 (so I am still driving new BMW service loaners).....I am WAY happy I went to the S4. Better car IMHO (though not as durable @ the track, if I even did that). Better looking, fewer out there (not a teeny-bopper car like the 3 series has become), REAL tires, Quattro, tighter steering, cheaper purchase price. Though yes, MPG is a little worse (heavy foot??). OEM Brake pads SUCK (easy fix - just buy Hawk's). Add some aftermarket stuff if you want/can (exhaust, APR tune, some VAG changes...)...and, WHAM!

I've got 41k miles in almost 3 years....and will keep this car for awhile. Audi now is like getting a Facebook or Gmail account early, before everyone else.

Enjoy!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jyges
any issues with your s4 ? what tranny?
Not a single issue yet. Automatic Transmission
Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Goody489
Not a single issue yet. Automatic Transmission
No issues. Manual Transmission.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a fantastically balanced thread addressing the pros and cons of three fiercely competitive vehicles!

I am sure a lot of people (myself included) consider all of these cars, so the discussion is very helpful.

Quick Reply: Can't decide between Audi or BMW, well there's more than that.