S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Clear Bra & Tint Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

I had Xpel Ultimate installed on full front, mirrors, headlights, A pillars, rocker panels and "luggage" strip on rear bumper with wrapped edges on the fenders and hood (no seams). Going on 2 years and not one rock chip or any fade or peel. The Xpel Ultimate, while not the least expensive film available, is the only one on the market that has self healing properties and a built-in clear coat plus a 10 year warranty. I also had Opti-Coat Pro applied on the entire car and it still looks glossy. After a wash, it looks like I just waxed it.

I paid about $1500 for the Ultimate and $300 for the Opti-Coat application. Best investments I ever made on "mods". The cost of a single hood or fender repaint and I'm ahead. IMO, definitely NOT a rip-off.
(Note: I'm not an Xpel or Optimum employee, just a very satisfied customer).

Check these out:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/My2hWaJlwk4?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BzemnoR72Q0?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T6oEgfdwUU0?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

And this one for Opti-Coat Pro:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3W7t1O_9NiI?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
Old 06-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I ended up going with the full hood + full fenders + rockers + mirrors + headlights + rear trunk area + underside of rear bumper + tinting all the way around (20% Rear, 35% Front) for $2,200.

My wife will not let me live for this, but hey, I hope it's worth it.

Reason: Basically, I talked with my neighbor who has a brand new Cadillac ELR (talk about a waste of money). He takes the same road as me and and looked at is car without film on it and < 1 month it has a ton of paint chips (only a few on the upper part of the hood but lots on the front and underside of rear bumper).

I'm not trying to be the flyest guy on the block or anything, but I don't want my new ride to look like his in under a month. Therefore, I'm shelling out the dough and wearing a helmet to ward off my wife's rolling pin.

Thank you guys for your help!
Old 06-12-2014, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Taxmaster
Hello All,

I ended up going with the full hood + full fenders + rockers + mirrors + headlights + rear trunk area + underside of rear bumper + tinting all the way around (20% Rear, 35% Front) for $2,200.
Yikes! Hope that at least includes front bumper too. Make sure you keep it cleaned and sealed on a white car to keep the yellow away. Xpel makes a good cleaner and sealant. Dawn dish detergent is also good for cleaning the PPF but not recommended for paint.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I use Venture Shield with excellent results.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
Yikes! Hope that at least includes front bumper too. Make sure you keep it cleaned and sealed on a white car to keep the yellow away. Xpel makes a good cleaner and sealant. Dawn dish detergent is also good for cleaning the PPF but not recommended for paint.
Yes, it definitely includes the whole front bumper!

By the way - can you actually take your car through a car wash with this film on? Or does it have to be hand washed? Just wondering in case I'm in a pinch ...
Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxmaster
Yes, it definitely includes the whole front bumper!

By the way - can you actually take your car through a car wash with this film on? Or does it have to be hand washed? Just wondering in case I'm in a pinch ...
In the winter, when I have no choice, I take my Xpel Ultimate installed A6 to a touchless car wash. I found one nearby with pressure that's not excessive. I would stay away from any car wash that has anything besides soap and water that touches the car. I also do not option the wax stuff they use to avoid any additional harsh chemicals - just the wash and dryer. So far, no issues with the film over two winters.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
In the winter, when I have no choice, I take my Xpel Ultimate installed A6 to a touchless car wash. I found one nearby with pressure that's not excessive. I would stay away from any car wash that has anything besides soap and water that touches the car. I also do not option the wax stuff they use to avoid any additional harsh chemicals - just the wash and dryer. So far, no issues with the film over two winters.
Perfect, thank you!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just had Xpel Ultimate clear bra and 3M Crystalline tint installed yesterday. Looks awesome! The Xpel disappeared on the car, ppl wouldn't even notice if I don't tell them. Crystalline reduced solar heat by a ton! Expensive, but totally worth it for me...
Old 07-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The clear coat that comes on cars nowadays is horrible. Every new car has paint chips all over the front bumper after a couple of months. It almost seems as though car manufacturers are doing this on purpose in order to partner with clear bra company's. Yes, it's highly unlikely, but it's real funny. Cars start to chip within months of ownership, and miraculously this innovative clear bra is here to save the day. My car for instance would be trash at this point, if it wasn't for the clear bra. Two years of daily driven ownership in the Northeast, and not one mark on my front end!