S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Clutch Problem--2012 S4

Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problem--2012 S4

I have a 2012 S4 6MT. This is my third manual car. I've never had a clutch problem before this afternoon and need some advice.

I was in line in traffic. As the car in front of me moved forward, I put the clutch in to select first to roll forward. Clutch stayed stuck to the floor. I then noticed an awful burning type smell. As the clutch was in, I took the car back out of first and tried to pump the clutch pedal a bit. Nothing happened.

I then turned the car off, hoping that something would get reset upon restarting. The clutch pedal came up, but not really in response to anything, and the smell worsened.

I then push the clutch back in to try to start the car. I got a message on my dash saying that car couldn't start without depressing the clutch. But it was already in. I tried several more times, each time getting the same message about pushing the clutch in. Finally, it started.

I drove home, but at one red light had to go back to 1st and experienced a very jerky start. The clutch pedal now feels very light to push in and out.

Last week at my 5000 mile service I told the technician I felt an odd vibration in the clutch pedal. He took it for a drive and agreed that he felt a weird vibration that he never felt before. He checked on TSBs and said nothing came up for the clutch. We agreed to reschedule a new appointment to give more time to look at the clutch. No one at audi thought there was anything significant at that time.

After today's experience, I called my dealer. They agreed it sounded bad and made me an appointment for tomorrow to drop off the car. They said they would give me a loaner as it may take a few days to fix. Interestingly, I did not notice the pedal vibration after this incident, but did notice the lightness of the pedal.

Any idea what this could be? This is a brand new car (purchased 12/2011) and the thought of the clutch being an issue this early makes me sick.

I appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

maybe have something wrong with clutch? there have been a few. I have not had any problems with my clutch.

hopefully will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Bruce
Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If I understood you right, the car is still drivable. There could be a problem with the throw-out bearing.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by av_audi
If I understood you right, the car is still drivable. There could be a problem with the throw-out bearing.
Still driveable. Need to take it to dealer tomorrow 150 miles away. The tech on the phone mentioned the same thing about the throw out bearing.

I'm not very mechanical, so is that a big deal? I read some posts around the net saying this could lead to issues with the clutch and flywheel because of the burnt smell. Hopefully its not to huge a problem.

I am safe to assume that there should be no issues with this being a warranty item?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jokehoops
I am safe to assume that there should be no issues with this being a warranty item?
Last time I checked, the whole clutch is warrantied for 12K, so you should be covered. Even if you were beyond the 12K limit, I would expect something like the throw out bearing to be covered. Even under abuse, that is not something that should go that quickly. I think what may wear it out faster might be things like keeping the clutch pedal depressed for long periods or making a habit of resting your hand on the shift ****. But none of these should wear out your throw out bearing this soon. Disclaimer: I am not an amateur mechanic and it could be something other than the bearing
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi there, I have a 2011 A4 Quattro 2.0 T. I have suffered what you are talking about, which I found elsewhere on the internet referred to as "Sudden Clutch Failure." If you look at the NHTSA (Nat'l Highway Traffic Safety Administration) it is a "known issue" on 2009-2011 Audis. I have now suffered Sudden Clutch Failure TWICE, once at 4,800 miles and then a second time just recently, at 31,000. The first time, okay following lots of discussion, Audi covered the repair under the warranty. This time Audi is insisting on "driver influence." I have been driving manual shift Volkswagens for 40 years -- living in a big city with lots of traffic (the worst possible miles for a clutch) -- and have never, ever worn out a clutch. And here's the thing, the clutch is not just worn out -- it is in a "molten state." I had the same thing as you -- only I was on the freeway when my the pedal stuck to the floor. I am going to post my case separately, maybe have a look and see if there are any similarities? Good luck.