S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Clutch slipping at 4,500 miles??

Old 10-25-2012, 06:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of people seem to want to slip into every gear for some reason on these cars. Be careful not to do that or you'll glaze the **** out of it. Since the B8 clutch appears to be a little less....strong...than previous models, you have to be very careful. i.e. don't get on the gas till you're OFF the clutch. I know a few people who have needed premature clutch replacements, and ALL of them were guilty of this. Certainly there are other reasons out there to contribute to hurting a clutch, but this reason can certainly cause that situation.

It seems academic not to slip, but I could post up a dozen videos of people doing it in various b5/6/7/8 S4/RS4s.

Here are a few RS4 owners doing it...

maxbhp

'cherrybomb'.
You can really hear it with the blower as coming into the next gear, the blower really winds up but he's still on the clutch for a bit...then he fully passes the engagement poin of the clutch and it grabs, at a lower RPM

Here's the dopes at automobilemag doing it on the 1st-2nd shift

Here's one of the guys at NGP doing it on a supercharged RS4. I actually made a comment about it on the video a year ago lol

Here's me not doing it. The first quarter mile run starting at like 20 seconds is in my car. The second run is George (red) vs the B8. George doesn't do it either.

Here's keith at apr not doing it. aggressive launch RPM!

Last edited by sakimano; 10-25-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch is the weakest link on the B8 S4. If you really want to be aggressive or upgrade your car you are going to have to upgrade the clutch.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4CE FED NOGARO
The clutch is the weakest link on the B8 S4. If you really want to be aggressive or upgrade your car you are going to have to upgrade the clutch.
Lets clarify that. Its not really the clutch that is weak, but the pressure plate and flywheel. So lets call it the clutch assembly. Obviously you will be replacing all the components. But the OEM clutch itself is not the culprit.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
Lets clarify that. Its not really the clutch that is weak, but the pressure plate and flywheel. So lets call it the clutch assembly. Obviously you will be replacing all the components. But the OEM clutch itself is not the culprit.
Wow. Thanks for all the education everyone. I thought I did the research before I added the upgrades..I guess not. Either way, I wouldn't have gotten the DSG - I just love the left foot action to much...and this is probably the last 6MT that I'll ever have, the way things are going.

So...suggestions on where/what type of clutch assembly to get to meet the power of APR and the pulley? Thanks for all the comments.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bandersen
Wow. Thanks for all the education everyone. I thought I did the research before I added the upgrades..I guess not. Either way, I wouldn't have gotten the DSG - I just love the left foot action to much...and this is probably the last 6MT that I'll ever have, the way things are going.

So...suggestions on where/what type of clutch assembly to get to meet the power of APR and the pulley? Thanks for all the comments.
There is no alternative available for the flywheel and pressure plate at this time. That said, there is plenty of talk that something is brewing