S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Considering the S4 - questions (stripped new vs loaded CPO?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering the S4 - questions (stripped new vs loaded CPO?)

Hello! Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

I am a longtime VW owner (currently in a GTI), with one of the most unusual cross-shopping lists, which I think is being narrowed down to the Golf R, A4 and now S4.

So I took my first S4 test drive this weekend, and I was like "wow" the first time I pressed the gas pedal. From a "zippy" GTI to a sledgehammer is quite a contrast. Even though it was in Dynamic, I found the ride extremely smooth - almost to the point of being unnerving. At one point, I found myself going 70 MPH on the streets, but I felt like it was more like 40 to 45. There definitely seems to be more isolation from the road than the GTI. That would take some getting used to.

The instant torque, smooth arcing turns, and the like - well, I got to like that right away.

So the S4 is definitely a contender, although I also wonder if all that extra power would be lost in city driving, where I find myself most of time. There is something to be said for something small that can zip in and out of lanes.

Anyway, questions:

Locally, I have come across a completely stripped '13 S4. No options but the DSG. The dealer is willing to sell it for $46K, close to $4K off sticker. This was from a Fleet guy, and it was his first offer without any negotiation required.

Also found a used CPO '12 S4 for $42K, 35K miles. This one had the sports differential, navigation (which I could give a hoot about, except for the backup camera, which is nice - in fact, I would be happy to rip out all the electronic gizmos and go old school), 19 inch wheels (nice, but they will then be more expensive to replace). Clean CarFax report, one prior owner. Car looked new, but no new car smell.

Logically, the used model has a lot more to offer. However, I also like the idea of having a brand spanking new car of my own. For all I know, the last owner serviced the car at Jiffy Lube, or didn't bother to change the oil at all. The warranty is there, which is nice - but my preference is to not have to hassle with repairs in the first place.

S4 lease terms are not very favorable - Audi is projecting poor residual values, which I guess is another point in favor of the CPO model.

Any idea or thoughts on which way to go? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wouldn't be afraid of a used Audi. CPO standards are hard to pass, plus most Audi owners take care of heir cars and do the regular maintanence. If your worried abou maintanence have dealer pull records.

If you keep the car for 3-4 years go CPO 7-8 years and I would go new
Old 07-22-2013, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went through a similar process, looking at the Golf R vs CPO S4 vs new S4 (round numbers, $35K, $45K, $55K). I scored my loaded, yr-old CPO with 14K miles for just a little more than the deal you have on the table.

Find out how old that car is. 35K is a lot of miles, even if it is 2 years old. Feels more like $38K to me. Are you buying it from a dealership?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the one with the sport differential
Old 07-22-2013, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ewingsvt
I wouldn't be afraid of a used Audi. CPO standards are hard to pass, plus most Audi owners take care of heir cars and do the regular maintanence. If your worried abou maintanence have dealer pull records.

If you keep the car for 3-4 years go CPO 7-8 years and I would go new
I disagree. CPO standards are very low and each dealer uses their own discretion in what they certify. What one dealer refuses to certify, another will gladly certify. I traded in a car with $25K in accident damage that was bought at auction and CPO'd. (Search google or AZ for "Beware Atlanta Area CPO".). Another person had a car flagged as TD1 after he bought it (but without doing anything to it) that had to go to AoA to resolve. Another bought one with major damage that should not have been CPO'd and again had to go to AoA. It is common for dealers to pick up cars at auction they know nothing about, walk around checking boxes on a clip board and certify, to effectively sell a warranty. Just search the forums...

If you go CPO for the warranty, just get the car inspected by someone independent and do not relay AT ALL on the dealer's CPO inspection / process. Personally, I would not buy a CPO Audi (a) for this reason and (b) because of higher maintenance and non-warranty repair costs that escalate with age. You are that much closer to replacing components that wear out so just be sure the price difference is worth it. Find a new 2013 with sports diff somewhere else or be very diligent about the CPO purchase.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you can afford $46,000, then you can probably afford $50,000. You can get the new 13 or 14 for $50,000 with the options you want. Only thing that could hold you back from that is if you really prefer the 12 style to the 13 style.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
I went through a similar process, looking at the Golf R vs CPO S4 vs new S4 (round numbers, $35K, $45K, $55K). I scored my loaded, yr-old CPO with 14K miles for just a little more than the deal you have on the table.

Find out how old that car is. 35K is a lot of miles, even if it is 2 years old. Feels more like $38K to me. Are you buying it from a dealership?

So what pushed you to the S4 over the R?

The used model is a dealer's CPO. According to CarFax, it has been there for over a month, so I am sure they will come down on the price.

The comments here that "CPO" doesn't really mean anything beyond an extended warranty is of concern. Except for one time, I have always bought new. The one time I went used, I sorely regretted it.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Go with the new one. I'm in the market for a new S4 but I have owned two BMW M3s. The first was a 97 sedan that I bought used from a dealer in 1999, coming off a two year lease. Clean Carfax, my mechanic checked it out and it looked good, but I kept that car four years and discovered, the hard way, that the prior owner drove the crap out of it. Finally sold it and bought a new 2003 coupe, which was a great car but not very kid friendly, so I sold it in 2006 after my first kid was born.

Cars like the M3 and S4 are extremely risky to buy used unless you know the prior owner and feel comfortable that it wasn't abused. Carfax and service records are nice, but given that you don't get a huge discount these days buying used, and as noted above 35K in a little over a year is a LOT of miles, I'd stay away from that one.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Muggsy2006
Go with the new one. I'm in the market for a new S4 but I have owned two BMW M3s. The first was a 97 sedan that I bought used from a dealer in 1999, coming off a two year lease. Clean Carfax, my mechanic checked it out and it looked good, but I kept that car four years and discovered, the hard way, that the prior owner drove the crap out of it. Finally sold it and bought a new 2003 coupe, which was a great car but not very kid friendly, so I sold it in 2006 after my first kid was born.

Cars like the M3 and S4 are extremely risky to buy used unless you know the prior owner and feel comfortable that it wasn't abused. Carfax and service records are nice, but given that you don't get a huge discount these days buying used, and as noted above 35K in a little over a year is a LOT of miles, I'd stay away from that one.
There's always the fantasy that you'll get a used car that was gently driven by a little old lady. But I don't think little old ladies or gentle drivers are attracted to this type of car.

CarFax only tells you what was reported. I know firsthand of a car that was crunched, but nothing showed up on the report. Police were not involved and the body shop apparently did not report it to CarFax.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by torquesteer11
So what pushed you to the S4 over the R?

The used model is a dealer's CPO. According to CarFax, it has been there for over a month, so I am sure they will come down on the price.

The comments here that "CPO" doesn't really mean anything beyond an extended warranty is of concern. Except for one time, I have always bought new. The one time I went used, I sorely regretted it.
A few things made me choose the S4 over the R:
- Supercharge vs Turbo. The R was fun, but had the turbo-y feel to it. I've also been raise with an old-school, avoid-a-turbo attitude and prefer the supercharger technology... I know... get over it.
- Seats. I've always loved the German seats, but the R squeezed me a little more than I liked.
- "dream car" status... The B8 S4 has been on my list for a LONG time. (Sometimes I think I'd still be driving my B5 if I would have spent the extra cash on the S4 at the time.) With the R I'd always be wondering what the S4 was like.
- MPG... Golf R is too close to the S4 for me. If it was a definite 5 mpg better it might have swayed me.
- Dealership... Audi dealers are more likely to give loaners and other premium-brand perks.

By the way, I did have a strategy of driving an R for 5 years or so, then "giving" it to my son to drive. However, I am alive today because my cars in my teens and 20s were 8-10 seconds in 0-60, and I could not see letting my son drive the R early on. Too easy to go fast these days.

Last edited by Tweakophyte; 07-22-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering the S4 - questions (stripped new vs loaded CPO?)