S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Considering trading in my S5 for a new S4

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering trading in my S5 for a new S4

Hey Guys,

I've had my first 08 Audi S5 for about 7 months, and I've had nothing but problems with it since I've gotten it. The car had 49k miles on it when I got it and now has 54k. During this time I've had the following problems with it:

1. 3 different trips to the dealership for engine misfire (carbon build-up).
2. Catalytic converter changed.
3. AC Compressor and Clutch went bad and had to replace
4. Replaced all 4 brakes (rotors/pads)
5. 4 new tires

And just recently, I was at a stop light, and the clutch never came back up when I pressed it down to shift gears. I'm hoping it doesn't need the entire clutch replaced.

So, even after all these issues, I'm considering getting a 2012 S4. For you guys that own S4's, how reliable has the car been for you, besides regular maintenance? I have no problem doing regular maintenance to the car, but don't like unexpected issues that come up.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks,
J
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 2011 S4, bought brand new about 13 months ago. Currently have about 15K km on it. There was no issues with the car except the rear diff was replaced by the dealer at 8000km scheduled maintenance. 2010 S4 have the water pump failure problem, 2011 S4 have the squeaking brakes and leaking rear sport diff problems. However, none of the problems should affect your purchase decision.

Your 2008 S5 was the first model year for the S5 and it was pre-owned, so not sure how the previous owner treated the car. I'm usually hesitant when buying a used premium car especially a lease return.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by bbmaster
I have 2011 S4, bought brand new about 13 months ago. Currently have about 15K km on it. There was no issues with the car except the rear diff was replaced by the dealer at 8000km scheduled maintenance. 2010 S4 have the water pump failure problem, 2011 S4 have the squeaking brakes and leaking rear sport diff problems. However, none of the problems should affect your purchase decision.

Your 2008 S5 was the first model year for the S5 and it was pre-owned, so not sure how the previous owner treated the car. I'm usually hesitant when buying a used premium car especially a lease return.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2012 is much too early to come to conclusions. JD Powers typiclly waits 3 years before reporting customer feedback

FWIW, My 2011 has 5800 miles on it and so far I have had the following issues

1. The DSG trans has had a hiccup
2. 2 Stereo amp replacements
3. The well known Diff flange leak (There is a TSB on it) New seals were installed to corrcet the leak

Most german cars are very enjoyable to drive but they dont have Lexus-like quality or reliability (having owned 3 Lexus cars myself since the late 90's) I'd have to say Porshce is the exception but it seems that if Porsche can do it, why cant BMW, AUDI or MERC?

We can only hope that AUDI strives to improve in these areas and I guess roll with the jabs as they occur.

BTW, brake and tire replacemnet are wear and tear and probably would not count as "reliability" issues unless an OEM brake part failed immediatley.

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 05-30-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
2012 is much too early to come to conclusions. JD Powers typiclly waits 3 years before reporting customer feedback

3. The well known Diff flange leak (There is a TSB on it) New seals were installed to corrcet the leak

Most german cars are very enjoyable to drive but they dont have Lexus-like quality or reliability (having owned 3 Lexus cars myself since the late 90's) I'd have to say Porshce is the exception but it seems that if Porsche can do it, why cant BMW, AUDI or MERC?

We can only hope that AUDI strives to improve in these areas and I guess roll with the jabs as they occur.

BTW, brake and tire replacemnet are wear and tear and probably would not count as "reliability" issues unless an OEM brake part failed immediatley.
Can you provide more on the DSG hiccup?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for sharing. You're right about the Lexus. I previously owned 2 myself, and never had any problems. The Audi's are so much more fun to drive. I guess you have to pay a little extra for that fun. ;-)

My hope is that I don't have too many unexpected issues occur for which I have to pay out of pocket. Brakes/tires/etc are fine as they're part of wear and tear. Just don't want those expensive surprises.

Originally Posted by mark_nimda

Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, I had the same experience of the clutch not returning and stayed on the floor when shifting . Many have experienced the RPMS not droppping when shifting while turning. Smelled burning clutch. Seems to work fine now.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have a 2010 S4 bought new and now have accumulated over 20K miles.
To date, nothing has failed or required changing except the dealer made me bring it in for the water pump swap.

Absolute joy to drive and now thanks to GIAC much faster than stock. I might add that I have to really think what I would improve....
Wait, I have something...the Jukebox won't accept my music. Stupid actually but not a deal breaker since I have my entire music library on my IPod and it works flawlessly while connected/parked in my glovebox.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Christo123
Can you provide more on the DSG hiccup?
First, it happens only when the car is in DYNAMIC Mode only and its difficult to reproduce. At WOT from a dead stop, (again car must be in dynamic mode) the car will once in a while violently buckle in low gears. Best way to describe this buckling is similar to when one is first learning how to drive stick and the car buckles as the driver has trouble rev matching in the lower gears

I had a flash recently and I am going to see If I can replicate the violent buckling in the low gears again (when WOT from a stop). The dealer said the flash shoud take care of it but sometimes I wish I coudl get on the horn with an AUDI engineer because dealers often times will say anything and they will fix things that arent broken just so they can get paid by AoA (which in my book Translates to FRAUD and a waste of my time)
Old 05-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm only into ownership for about 1.5 months, but I love the performance and looks of the car. No remorse here whatsoever

Quick Reply: Considering trading in my S5 for a new S4