S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Considering trading in my S5 for a new S4

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakimano
where did I say the RS4 motor was 'the same' as the S5 motor?

Now...think hard about it. Also remember that I have read the study guide for both motors, and have owned 4.2 Audis and posted and read more on the car on this and other forums than anyone on the planet.

Knowing that...do you really think I don't know every single difference between the RS4 and S5 engine? And do you really think I'd say they're the same by accident? Also, knowing the best tuner in the Audi world personally...do you really think I don't know how the S5 4.2 responds to proper modifications? Knowing that I've been there when JHM pulled the motor out of an S5 4.2 FSI and tore the engine down, noting all the similarities and differences between it and the other 4.2 motors, including it's sister motor the RS4 4.2 FSI high revving variant...knowing that, do you still think I don't know what I'm talking about?
You are special.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, you need to calm your *** down.

where did I say the RS4 motor was 'the same' as the S5 motor?
You did not say this, but you talked about the gains of a JHM tune and exhaust on an S5, said it made "excellent gains".... and then talked about times on an RS4 with mods. So from there, i dont see a connection between the two arguments. And from there, i assumed you thought it would be similar.

Regardless, i would like to see the dynos of the mods on an S5 you are talking about. It's ignorance on my part - i never looked into JHM mods. But in the end it all comes down to (as a drug rep has said in a presentation) "show me the data, or shut up" - i would want to see a dyno and/or 1/4 times.

In the end all i was trying to do is provide advice to someone who was not enjoying their S5 and sharing the considerations i had for moving to an S4.

Maybe i should rephrase what i said and say - you get more "bang for your buck" when modding an S4.

Of course you can always just supercharge the S5 4.2 motor and get a ton of power, but it's 13K.

oh and back to this...
Same applies to the B8 S4. Buy an MTM piggyback, some intake and an exhaust that is a replica of stock other than being louder, and you're looking at $6,000 and you're no faster than stock. Ask voltron's head.
That's nice, but i was referring to a GIAC or REVO tune. These have shown pretty nice gains again and again.. and i have seen a REVO S4 (and no other mods) do 12.4@113. Obviously, this will not happen with all cars, but it's nice to know there is potential for that.

In the end, I do not think (and i'm not about to waste my time stalking you to see what you have posted on) you have ever owned an S5. I have, and thats why i'm trying to help someone out. Your arguments seem to really for RS4's, which i love, but does not help out the OP.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TinS5
First off, you need to calm your *** down.

You did not say this, but you talked about the gains of a JHM tune and exhaust on an S5, said it made "excellent gains".... and then talked about times on an RS4 with mods. So from there, i dont see a connection between the two arguments. And from there, i assumed you thought it would be similar.

Regardless, i would like to see the dynos of the mods on an S5 you are talking about. It's ignorance on my part - i never looked into JHM mods. But in the end it all comes down to (as a drug rep has said in a presentation) "show me the data, or shut up" - i would want to see a dyno and/or 1/4 times.

In the end all i was trying to do is provide advice to someone who was not enjoying their S5 and sharing the considerations i had for moving to an S4.

Maybe i should rephrase what i said and say - you get more "bang for your buck" when modding an S4.

Of course you can always just supercharge the S5 4.2 motor and get a ton of power, but it's 13K.

oh and back to this...

That's nice, but i was referring to a GIAC or REVO tune. These have shown pretty nice gains again and again.. and i have seen a REVO S4 (and no other mods) do 12.4@113. Obviously, this will not happen with all cars, but it's nice to know there is potential for that.

In the end, I do not think (and i'm not about to waste my time stalking you to see what you have posted on) you have ever owned an S5. I have, and thats why i'm trying to help someone out. Your arguments seem to really for RS4's, which i love, but does not help out the OP.
I know you were referring to REVO or GIAC...but again, why are you looking only at the top tune for the S4 but the worst mods for the S5? See my point? As for REVO or GIAC...REVO is kicking ***, but as we discussed and tested on audirevolution, they are desensitizing knock sensors to prevent the ECU from pulling timing. As for GIAC, they've had 1 good quarter mile time (from a GIAC dealer on race gas) and one good dyno (from another GIAC dealer on 91 fatezero-RavenMS). The Giac 91 B8 S4 I raced at the dragstrip was a full car length or two behind me all day. 12.89 I believe was his best. 12.9-13.0 the rest of the day. My stock RS4 was 12.75-12.85 all day for perspective.

The JHM S5 program is doing basically what the B6/7 S4 and B7 RS4 program did...so when I quote the gains those cars made (5-7 tenths and 5-7 mph trap speed gained from tune/exhaust work) it's because that's what the S5 program should/is doing. I've also spent some time with them on the S5 as I mentioned above...and know a couple of guys who were JHM Beta testers for the S5. All good results.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by akkordN2U
Thats happened to me and If it's the same issue then it only happens when the ESP is on. If you turn it off I'm positive you will have a hard time replicating the problem. My guess is that it's limiting your power until a decent level of traction is achieved in which the system quits interfering altogether. For me it almost feels like the engine bogs and then all power is returned within a very short space if time. It is likely hard to replicate even when the ESP is on because it depends on the level of traction you have and how much slip is occuring while launching. Now I'm not sure if it's an actual issue or we are just dealing with a sub par traction control system. You're the first I've seen mention the issue but then again I haven't researched it thoroughly.
I have seen a couple of other members try to explain the problem. One particular member said that my "stick-learning curve" example to describe the issue turned a light on in his head as this was the same exact feeling he had whe it happened to him

I have yet to disengage the traction system so its happening when its on, not off. The dealer said the flash should have corrected it, but again, dealers will say anything as long as it means work so they can get paid by AUDI
Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love my 2011 S4 and it has 45,000km on it. Only had the "rear diff" leak addressed which really isn't your rear diff but your CV leaking.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The JHM S5 program is doing basically what the B6/7 S4 and B7 RS4 program did...so when I quote the gains those cars made (5-7 tenths and 5-7 mph trap speed gained from tune/exhaust work) it's because that's what the S5 program should/is doing. I've also spent some time with them on the S5 as I mentioned above...and know a couple of guys who were JHM Beta testers for the S5. All good results.
Well maybe if there were more info out there, MAYBE I would have kept my S5. But apparently the info out there in this tune is limited.. And still in the beta stages. So as I said before.. It seems as though the S4 3.0T has better tunability than the S5.

As I said before.. I would like to see the data on the JHM tune - either dynos or times.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
I have seen a couple of other members try to explain the problem. One particular member said that my "stick-learning curve" example to describe the issue turned a light on in his head as this was the same exact feeling he had whe it happened to him

I have yet to disengage the traction system so its happening when its on, not off. The dealer said the flash should have corrected it, but again, dealers will say anything as long as it means work so they can get paid by AUDI
Yeah that description pretty much sums it up as well. Let me know if your flash works because I had my 5k service about 2 weeks ago and they claimed everything was up to date and no flashes or software upgrades were available.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TinS5
Well maybe if there were more info out there, MAYBE I would have kept my S5. But apparently the info out there in this tune is limited.. And still in the beta stages. So as I said before.. It seems as though the S4 3.0T has better tunability than the S5.

As I said before.. I would like to see the data on the JHM tune - either dynos or times.
yeah, me too...but they won't give you dynos but they'll hit Sacramento Raceway Park and produce a video like this one. This is why I was saying guys who have 4.2 cars and miss JHM miss a lot. Best tuner in the industry (APR called him in to fix their supercharger kits for the S5/RS4 last year. Remember when the APR RS4 SC cars were running mid 12s..then suddenly went 11s? That was JHM's tuner's file that he gave to APR that made the change). Not only great tune for performance but he even writes launch control right into the file (for S4/S5/RS4).

as I also said before, S4 or S5...both awesome. The S4 is an incredible over-achiever, and I recommend them to all my friends/family who ask for car advice. It's the easiest recommendation to make yourself look like a car genius. $55,000...loaded...looks great...goes like heck...handles even better...can't go wrong.

Last edited by sakimano; 06-03-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah, me too...but they won't give you dynos but they'll hit Sacramento Raceway Park and produce a video like this one. This is why I was saying guys who have 4.2 cars and miss JHM miss a lot. Best tuner in the industry (APR called him in to fix their supercharger kits for the S5/RS4 last year. Remember when the APR RS4 SC cars were running mid 12s..then suddenly went 11s? That was JHM's tuner's file that he gave to APR that made the change). Not only great tune for performance but he even writes launch control right into the file (for S4/S5/RS4).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhDcNObZLpo
All of your arguments against mine are for the RS4. I think the RS4 is awesome, never said it wasn't. But we established that the motor is DIFFERENT from the S5. I dont understand why youre still throwing all of this stuff towards me showing how well the RS4 responds and performs well with mods. I always said the S5 doesn't, and you still havent proven me to be 'flat wrong' yet.

I still doubt an S5 can be in the mid-high 12s and trapping above 110 with just a tune and exhaust.

Anyway, nice video.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks All for your responses. This helps me a lot. Didn't mean to stir the pot.

Quick Reply: Considering trading in my S5 for a new S4