AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   coolant below min. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/coolant-below-min-2795366/)

zamalek 11-28-2010 07:52 AM

coolant below min.

first time i opened the hood since i got the car in april(3600 m), the coolant level is 1/2 inch below min., the car was parked since last night, should i just add coolant or call the dealer, is 1/2 " below min. alarming or it has to be much lower to be a water pump issue, no coolant smell inside the car & the temp. gauge always on half. need some input please guys, thanks

DrGP 11-28-2010 08:34 AM

Take the car in for service and insist they replace the water pump. This is how it starts. I'm speaking from experience and low coolant level is consistant with all the other posts from those who have had WPs fail. Most likely the service dept will just fill it up and tell you to keep an on it. Believe me, it is a death watch. Where do you think the coolant is going other than leaking. Where have these cars been Known to leak? The WP. Get it replaced before it leaves you standed and you have to flatbed the car back to the dealer.I was in denial at first, but don't fool around too long with this. Winter is coming. IT WILL FAIL! Do you want to be left stranded somewhere? BTW, you will need G 12 ++ coolant.

drrick89 11-28-2010 11:24 AM

Second opinion

Other doctor agrees!

"Take the car in for service and insist they replace the water pump. This is how it starts. I'm speaking from experience and low coolant level is consistant with all the other posts from those who have had WPs fail."

zamalek 11-28-2010 11:57 AM

ok docs, i guess nothing like a confirming 2nd opinion, i was thinking wait another 1k for the 5k service, but i will schedule an appointment asap, i will add coolant meanwhile, thanks guys

DrGP 11-28-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by zamalek (Post 24066846)
ok docs, i guess nothing like a confirming 2nd opinion, i was thinking wait another 1k for the 5k service, but i will schedule an appointment asap, i will add coolant meanwhile, thanks guys

Thats exactly what I thought. Waited until 5k service and was told everything was OK. Continued monitoring. 2 weeks later it blew.

zamalek 11-28-2010 06:13 PM

i will definitely call tom., we'll see what happens

xtr3ma 11-28-2010 07:16 PM

What's the build date?

Can't believe apr delivery still got the pump problem. Thought it was fixed by Mar build.

FINA4 11-28-2010 08:21 PM

My 03/2010 build had the metal pump already.

seinsmeld13 11-29-2010 03:44 AM

Did buy your car in April with 3600 miles or is there 3600 miles on it now? You probably have the plastic pump. Don't wait insist on replacement.

NCAudiFan 11-29-2010 04:42 AM

I guess that I can now be welcomed to the water pump club. I was taking my son to the movies yesterday, stuck at a railroad crossing and noticed steam coming out from under my hood. I noticed that the temperature gauge was at about 50% when it would normally be about 25%. I then got the warning to turn off the engine and check the coolant level. After the train cleared I pulled into the parking lot of the movie theater and opened the hood. It was obvious that pressurized hot water was leaking from the front of the engine bay so I called Audi Roadside Assistance who arranged for a tow. My local dealer secures their parking lot so the driver could not drop my car yesterday. I am waiting to hear back this morning but I assume tha they are going to tell me that the water pump has died. I spoke with my salesman this morning who told me that he had not not heard anything about water pump issues on the new S4's so I cut and pasted about a dozen complaints from various Audi forums so his perusal. I picked up my car on February 8, 2010 and it has 18,500 miles on it. This is the first issue I have seen to date.