S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

daytime instrument cluster too dark?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daytime instrument cluster too dark?

i've noticed that only needles are lit while driving during the day. i think B5 and B6 had numbers lit as well when lights are off.
is this something that can be changed via VAG-COM?
looks a bit darkish to me.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ivansis
i've noticed that only needles are lit while driving during the day. i think B5 and B6 had numbers lit as well when lights are off.
is this something that can be changed via VAG-COM?
looks a bit darkish to me.
In most cases the lights on the instruments will stay off if the headlight switch is in the off position. If you put the headlights in Auto position the instrument lights will stay on even if the headlights aren't on yet (just DRLs on during the daytime). Strangely, under certain conditions even when the headlights are off the instrument lights will come on dimly and change as the lighting condition changes, its weird. But in general the instrument panel lights are determined by the position of the headlight switch. Oddly, I kinda like the look of the panel without the instrument lights on (just the needles as you mentioned) since I mainly use the digital speedo readout anyway. Personal preference I guess.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust light sensitivity while light switch is in 'off' position?
i usually don't use 'auto' lights selection and turn on/off them manually.
as you've mentioned i did notice once that the dashboard lit up when in 'off' position but i'd like to be able to adjust it.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ivansis
I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust light sensitivity while light switch is in 'off' position?
i usually don't use 'auto' lights selection and turn on/off them manually.
as you've mentioned i did notice once that the dashboard lit up when in 'off' position but i'd like to be able to adjust it.
Pretty sure you can't. It seems to have a mind of its own in that regard. The vast majority of the time when in "off" the instrument lights are off as well. I still haven't figured out what conditions cause it to partially or fully bring the instrument lights up. It's pretty bizarre.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monsoon
Pretty sure you can't. It seems to have a mind of its own in that regard. The vast majority of the time when in "off" the instrument lights are off as well. I still haven't figured out what conditions cause it to partially or fully bring the instrument lights up. It's pretty bizarre.
You can adjust it manually using the button that pops out on the right side of the switch for the headlights.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kczach
You can adjust it manually using the button that pops out on the right side of the switch for the headlights.
that control is for the brightness, not related to how the gauges is lit up when light switch in off position... (mine is at max anyway)