S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Decisions Decisions ;-)

Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
jd- Yes, a most unusual program, and most unusual personal circumstances as well. There aren't many "aliens" on visa's trying to finance cars, compared to the larger market. From a finance company's perspective, you are a flight risk, so to speak. The car is costly to take home, if you have to leave the US, so they probably figure the odds of a default are pretty high IF you have any employment or visa problems.

I would guess things are different in the EU or Schengen zones, where people cross national borders on a more frequent basis.

I'd suspect that one of the larger banks (Citibank?) which has extensive offices both in the US and in Ireland, might be able to work with you, since their car loan systems operate in both places and that might make them less apprehensive about finding you, or the car, if you moved between the two.

When titled property can be moved across national boundaries by an owner who is going to be crossing them, lenders get nervous. Cars, boats, planes, doesn't matter, they get nervous because they know what the complications can cost them.

From that side of things, a lease might make better sense. Or, a purchase or lease co-signed by your US employer. If they have faith in you, they'll help you get a car, one way or another. If they're not willing to help with your "resettlement" here, that's something to think about as well.
Yes, it would be nice if my employer co-signed a loan, unfortunately they are not allowed to do that. I've already spoken to my bank and a company can not co-sign for a personal loan.

I did receive a re-location package. Honestly, I didn't foresee so many difficulties with starting up here. If I had a complaint, it's that my company didn't do enough to prepare me for it. I will be speaking to them about it at some point, but it's not going to change my current situation.

Don't really know why there's a question mark over the Audi finance deal. It seems perfectly legitimate and the rates are good. Yes, I have to pay over the odds (a few k) for an Audi extended warranty, but that's a small price to pay for the ability to finance at all.

Leasing doesn't make sense. I would still be going through the exact same finance program, but leasing a brand new car and losing all that off the lot depreciation. I've run the numbers and leasing is twice the cost over two years.... probably more.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I asked him about the price online he just said 'Ya, they put the price back up'. I mentioned that the website had gone up by 5k and he responded 'Don't mind the website, I can get it for about 39k' After saying $700 more than you offered on Saturday he just replied 'Ya, the price went up'.

He was completely rude about the car again, so to be honest, I don't think I'm going to go for it anyway. Still having decided about the other one though.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GRMick
I hit the free CarFax link on the Autotrader site. http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=ATD_8

Sure could be a dealer thing, but it looks like the dealer got it back and then sold it, and then got it back immediately…only 8 miles difference. However, the second registration is for "personal" and none of the other dealer transactions added to the number of owners. Strange.

There's also something a little weird when the car was originally sold…dealer offering it now had it for sale new, then it went to a dealer in NY, then it went back and was sold by this dealer. Maybe just two franchises with the same owner or perhaps it was traded to the NY dealer and the deal fell through at the last minute.

For the sprint blue S4, even if they won't come down much, I don't think the dealer is too far out on pricing. Took a quick look on Autotrader on what other similar S4's are around and then what Edmunds and KBB had to say.

The S4 is a fantastic car and I'm sure you will love it.
I wrecked my first S4 and traded it in at the dealer the day I got it back from the auto body shop. the transmission was involved it the crash and after all the body work (small frame work needed) they noticed the transmission. when the dealer got it they did something fishy with the car fax and the accident 33,000 dollars damage was never reported to car-fax. They purchased the car and then sold it (through paperwork) and purchased it again. I'll be willing to bet that it was involved in an accident or something weird.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jd_1
When I asked him about the price online he just said 'Ya, they put the price back up'. I mentioned that the website had gone up by 5k and he responded 'Don't mind the website, I can get it for about 39k' After saying $700 more than you offered on Saturday he just replied 'Ya, the price went up'.
If dealer is playing games with the price, what else will they play games with? I am sure there will be hidden fees when you go buy the car. Your saleman sounds sleezy.

I would find another car at another dealer. There are plenty of CPO S4's for sale. New listings pop up all the time
Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
If dealer is playing games with the price, what else will they play games with? I am sure there will be hidden fees when you go buy the car. Your saleman sounds sleezy.

I would find another car at another dealer. There are plenty of CPO S4's for sale. New listings pop up all the time

There's actually not that many to be honest. Not with the spec/price I'm looking for.
And the price has dropped back down again now. Well, online anyway.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And the price has dropped back down again now. Well, online anyway.
Ha, I found out why they dropped the price online this morning. Because they were after SELLING the car!!
What a joke. And that's from a dealer with better online reviews than most.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ha, I found out why they dropped the price online this morning. Because they were after SELLING the car!!
What a joke. And that's from a dealer with better online reviews than most.

Okay, so I didn't manage to find the right S4. A little disappointed, but I decided to be sensible and bought a loaded 2010 A5 3.2 V6. It doesn't have the S performance, but still nippy and I absolutely love the way it looks. It saved me about 10k and I'll still likely try and trade up to an S5 next year

Thanks for all the advice in this thread.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad you found a car you are happy with, you may find yourself itching for an "S" car sooner than later. Bottom line as long as you are happy with your purchase that is all that matters.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MVR 155
Glad you found a car you are happy with, you may find yourself itching for an "S" car sooner than later. Bottom line as long as you are happy with your purchase that is all that matters.
+1 Enjoy your A5