S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Did dealer overwrite my tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did dealer overwrite my tune?

Hi. I own a 2010 S4. A few years back, I got the Stasis tune installed through the dealer. Since I was still under factory warranty, it seemed a good idea at the time.

Last year I was talking to the service guy I always deal with about a software update that was out. I think it was something related to rough idle. He suggested it not be applied because it could overwrite the ECM flash I had paid for. Since by this time Stasis was out of business, I wrote APR (I think Stasis is a rebranded APR tune - could be mistaken though) if this was the case and they said the guy at the service desk was correct - I should not upgrade the software in the car if I wanted to keep my tune.

Flash forward to today, and I'm at the dealer for my "65,000 mile" service. My usual guy no longer works there, so I'm dealing with someone new. After a couple hours wait, she says the cars ready and I'm good to go. She tells me they did the oil change, the brake fluid,.... oh and btw there was a software update for your car so we applied that too. Uh.. what?

I was never asked or told about this until after the fact. I don't even understand how this could happen. When they plugged in, surely something would have popped up saying -HEY! This isn't stock! ?? When I told them my car was not only tuned, but it was installed by them... they hooked the car back up to the diagnostics and pulled codes. It still showed code TD1, which they assured me meant that the Stasis ECM was still there.

I'm sure it was an honest mistake, and this dealer has treated me well in the past. I don't feel like they would lie to me. But I'm not going to take their word for it. I've been doing some searching and I haven't been able to find a clear answer on this.

If my ECM were back to stock, would it still report a TD1 code? I've found conflicting answers.. I've seen comments from people claiming they have flashed to stock to get warranty work done, which would suggest the TD1 code goes away, and I've found others who say once it's set, TD1 can't be cleared, which means it shouldn't be used as an indicator on whether a tune is currently present.

I'd really like a clear answer on this. I didn't notice anything different when I drove off, but the Stasis tune is fairly mild, and I couldn't test very much in traffic anyway. It's not like I could have it reflashed by Stasis either.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FirestormX
Hi. I own a 2010 S4. A few years back, I got the Stasis tune installed through the dealer. Since I was still under factory warranty, it seemed a good idea at the time.

Last year I was talking to the service guy I always deal with about a software update that was out. I think it was something related to rough idle. He suggested it not be applied because it could overwrite the ECM flash I had paid for. Since by this time Stasis was out of business, I wrote APR (I think Stasis is a rebranded APR tune - could be mistaken though) if this was the case and they said the guy at the service desk was correct - I should not upgrade the software in the car if I wanted to keep my tune.

Flash forward to today, and I'm at the dealer for my "65,000 mile" service. My usual guy no longer works there, so I'm dealing with someone new. After a couple hours wait, she says the cars ready and I'm good to go. She tells me they did the oil change, the brake fluid,.... oh and btw there was a software update for your car so we applied that too. Uh.. what?

I was never asked or told about this until after the fact. I don't even understand how this could happen. When they plugged in, surely something would have popped up saying -HEY! This isn't stock! ?? When I told them my car was not only tuned, but it was installed by them... they hooked the car back up to the diagnostics and pulled codes. It still showed code TD1, which they assured me meant that the Stasis ECM was still there.

I'm sure it was an honest mistake, and this dealer has treated me well in the past. I don't feel like they would lie to me. But I'm not going to take their word for it. I've been doing some searching and I haven't been able to find a clear answer on this.

If my ECM were back to stock, would it still report a TD1 code? I've found conflicting answers.. I've seen comments from people claiming they have flashed to stock to get warranty work done, which would suggest the TD1 code goes away, and I've found others who say once it's set, TD1 can't be cleared, which means it shouldn't be used as an indicator on whether a tune is currently present.

I'd really like a clear answer on this. I didn't notice anything different when I drove off, but the Stasis tune is fairly mild, and I couldn't test very much in traffic anyway. It's not like I could have it reflashed by Stasis either.
Once a car is flagged "TD1", it's always a "TD1" regardless of if the tune is still present or not. If they updated your software, chances are the tune is gone.
Since you are flagged anyway, might as well get a new Stage 1 tune or Chipwerke now.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How can this be proved one way or the other? As far as the dealer is concerned, the ECM reports TD1, therefore the tune is still there.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any time you write and rewrite the checksum count changes. However you need to know what the count was when you wrote the tune to the ecu. Might be worth contacting APR and see if they provided the rebranded tune.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by togatown
Once a car is flagged "TD1", it's always a "TD1" regardless of if the tune is still present or not. If they updated your software, chances are the tune is gone.
Since you are flagged anyway, might as well get a new Stage 1 tune or Chipwerke now.

Took the car back to the dealer and they ran an SVM check. This confirmed the tune was indeed gone. The dealer readily agreed to compensate me to have it reflashed somewhere else; I'm just upset I had to waste my time taking it back again before they'd admit the issue.