S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S4 with Stasis Chip & Exhaust - Good Buy or Trouble?

Old 06-21-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 S4 with Stasis Chip & Exhaust - Good Buy or Trouble?

My first post after lurking for a while here as I've been shopping for a B8 S4 for several months now. I have a couple particular wants and have now come across a 2010 S4, Manual, with 64,000 kms (40k miles) on it. It's fully loaded except it doesn't have the B&O speakers. The car also has a Stasis chip and Stasis stainless exhaust that was originally dealer installed back in 2010. Always dealer serviced, and the warranty is gone. I would classify the car as being in "very good" condition.

I originally test drove it right when it was listed a couple months back, but have been leery about getting a car with this many miles on a Stasis chip. Now the price is very attractive after sitting at the dealer, and am reconsidering.

Are my concerns about this chip running on the motor this long merited or am I just paranoid? I had a VW mkII GTI that had a G60 Motor for years, and it ran great! Never any major issues.... so I'm not adverse to performance packages, and would probably add it at some point later anyways.

Am I good with it or heading for trouble?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Personally, I'd skip it. Check around for information about Stasis' demise. Many reports (including a newspaper not just forum posts) indicate they are done. I'm sure others will disagree buy why buy a car with a product from a company going under? I'd shop CPO or stock but if you really want to buy a car with a tune there are other choices.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PsychoGTI
My first post after lurking for a while here as I've been shopping for a B8 S4 for several months now. I have a couple particular wants and have now come across a 2010 S4, Manual, with 64,000 kms (40k miles) on it. It's fully loaded except it doesn't have the B&O speakers. The car also has a Stasis chip and Stasis stainless exhaust that was originally dealer installed back in 2010. Always dealer serviced, and the warranty is gone. I would classify the car as being in "very good" condition.

I originally test drove it right when it was listed a couple months back, but have been leery about getting a car with this many miles on a Stasis chip. Now the price is very attractive after sitting at the dealer, and am reconsidering.

Are my concerns about this chip running on the motor this long merited or am I just paranoid? I had a VW mkII GTI that had a G60 Motor for years, and it ran great! Never any major issues.... so I'm not adverse to performance packages, and would probably add it at some point later anyways.

Am I good with it or heading for trouble?

I would see how friendly the dealer is to mods. The Stasis tune is a pretty mild tune and my dealer in Minneapolis was the one who sold mine to me. Maybe I am naive but I don't think they would sell a product that would be detrimental to their cars. Search the threads and you will find quite a few cars out there with double the miles and more aggressive tunes.
With that being said if you have any concerns maybe you should consider a CPO car with a warranty that doesn't have a tune.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't have any relationship with the dealer that is currently selling the car. It is an official Audi dealer, which is nice as they also have the complete service history of this car on their local file. But the dealer does sanction the Stasis kit and still sells the kits for current vehicles they sell/service.

I originally was looking for a CPO car.... but the B8 in 6-spd Manual is incredibly hard to find. The salesman at the dealer noted that they sell 150 cars a month, and only 3 on average are manuals. Not sure if that's BS or not.... but a tragic stat one way or another and shows in the local population. I want one that is also fully equipped with Nav and Sport Diff (willing to overlook the B&O Stereo upgrade). There's several available in Automatic in the city I live in, but Manual is a necessity for me.

If you have some suggestions on where I could also look to increase my selection... I'm all ears. :-) I've been looking since the beginning of the year, and this one is the closest that's come along so far.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the chances are higher with a tuned car that it was beat on, but who knows how this car was treated.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PsychoGTI
...Am I good with it or heading for trouble?
I personally wouldn't worry about the tune hurting the motor.

If the rest of the car is the way you want it, the price is right and you're not worried about no warranty, then it's probably worth considering.

That said, CPO would be more attractive to me, at least. The car you want is out there - you may just have to be a bit more patient...
Old 08-03-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Stasis tune is flawless. The exhaust should be fine, so long as you like the sound.

Their coilover kit has really bad problems with the valves leaking in as little as 8000 street/track miles.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did really enjoy the sound of the Exhaust, and wouldn't mind it. One of the better aftermarket one's I've heard in a while. Not too loud, good on highway driving and through the revs. The program with the mileage on the car and how the Stasis chip was long-term on these engines was the main concern, and if the car would have or probably been ragged on.

Thanks to everyone for the info! For the time being, my search continues... This one went to another home, and there's currently not a single Manual Audi S4 for sale in Vancouver, BC. :-P Guess I'm gonna have to wait a while longer... which is slowly eating at me.