S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DIY: Fog lamp replacement

Old 01-08-2012, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up. Cant wait till it warms up a bit to do this myself. Hate working in the cold. Miss having a garage.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great write up, allowed me to install a set in just a few minutes.

These Ziza "HID 6000K looking" ones from ecstuning look great.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_S4-...ights/ES11134/
Attached Images  

Last edited by will13k7; 09-06-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What is the bulb size for the 13 model? I found some people saying H11 and some other H8
Thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabio Corsi
What is the bulb size for the 13 model? I found some people saying H11 and some other H8
Thanks
Its not the H11's at least according to what ECS sells, they label the H8's as facelift and H11's as pre-facelift.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_S4-...hts/ES2526575/

Last edited by will13k7; 09-07-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Even though I never use them I'm installing those...great DIY and cheap.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fabio Corsi
Thanks
'13 has H8 bulbs. I did the upgrade.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 PM
aty
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

This is a great write up! Thanks for sharing. Are these 35 watt bulbs?

Thanks again,
aty
Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by aty
Hi,

This is a great write up! Thanks for sharing. Are these 35 watt bulbs?

Thanks again,
aty
If you click the link in the OP you will see that these "Endurance" bulbs are 55w.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:26 PM
aty
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
If you click the link in the OP you will see that these "Endurance" bulbs are 55w.
Okay, thanks!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No need to take out the wheel well. did the same front access.

Also gave me a chance to glass polish the outer lens. very pitted

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
OK gang, I had the time to bang out another mod, and document this. I ordered the Hoen H11 Endurance (very yellow) fog bulbs to replace the near white stock ones. Why? To aid in sight distance at night. Yellow cuts fog much better and farther, it is also easier to see for oncoming traffic, which might hit you!

You can find them at the bottom of this link:

Hoen

They look like this compared to our stock bulbs:

Tools needed:

#25 Torx bit - all screws for this use this size

Universal bit driver for torx bit

Clean dry soft cloth

Each side for our car is a little different, so I will go over both, starting with driver side. The drivers side black grille around the fog, is open due to the smaller cooler for the transmission placed here. Reaching inside the top and bottom where the black meets the painted portion of the valance, you can feel the little tabs shown here are the top tabs:

Here I have peeled it away to show the locations of the lower tabs, you will want to pull it away from the center of the car to the outside, as the fins of the grill actually penetrate the valance on the outer edge. Then you just pull it free.

You can see the bulb housing and lens clearly now on the drivers side, there are 2 silver screws to undo here, upper left (already removed here) and lower right (still in place).

Removing these allows the housing to come out (there is a small tab at the top of the housing which adds a 3rd point in addition to the removed screws, so slide it out of this)

Once out, you will twist the bulb counter clockwise (looking at the rear of the housing) and pull it out, wiring connector and all. Once loose of the housing, you will remove the bulb from the wiring harness by depressing tab at the rear of the bulb area, and pulling the bulb free once the clip is depressed enough (my thumb is on the clip portion you need to depress)

The bulbs have a tab which only allows them to be plugged in the correct way, so line up the tab, insert the bulb, and snap it to the wiring harness. Put the harness back into the light housing, and twist to tighten (the red gasket will seat on the back of the housing to form a water tight seal). Be sure the wiring harness is pointed DOWN when you have it done, to allow water to drip away from the wiring. Now just interst the tab at the top of the housing into the slot in the valance, and resecure the 2 silver screws. Replace the grille and snap this into place - Driver's side is done!

Since the passenger side is solid (no radiator here), ease of entry is to pull back the wheel well liner seen here:

This lower most screw (pictured) on the front of the well is all we need to remove.

Once out, just pull the liner back, it's soft and malleable:

Once pulled back, you can see inside with good lighting or a flashlight, and reach the back of the fog lamp easily - a quick counter clock turn and pull the bulb and wiring harness out:

Replace the bulb the same as the other side, re-insert into the housing back, twist clock wise to secure snugly, and be sure the wiring is pointing DOWN again. Replace the screw into the wheel well liner, and you are done!

Completed pics:

Close up:

I'll try to get some night shots of both the 6K HID's and these and update both threads.