S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

door handle sensors question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door handle sensors question

so my wife's keyless entry on her S4 stopped working a while ago, seemed to happen after changing the battery in the key fob, but that could be a coincidence, i've tried various ways to "reprogram" it, lock, unlock, stand on one foot, shake the key, do a dance, etc......anyway, tried a few ways to no avail, and my mechanic couldn't make it work either so i'm guessing it's the handle sensor, question is, is there only one sensor in the driver handle or is there one in each handle? if they all have one, are they like xmas tree lights - when one fails the whole system won't work? who's replaced them and what did it cost? i see the oem ones are like $160 but generic ones are like $25-30....how much labor is involved, and if you've used the generic ones, did they work? not sure i'd spring for the oem ones, especially if i need more than one.....it's not the end of the world to have to press a button to unlock the car, but it is nice not to have to! i believe the trunk sensor does work though. appreciate any input
Old 04-29-2018, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you checked your fuses?
Old 05-01-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Don't want to sound like a broken record but if you really need technical help, this is the wrong forum. Very little traffic here and few with technical knowledge. You are better off posting on the Audizine B8 S4 forum where you will get help
i'm noticing that these days, the C5 forum used to be very helpful here back when i had my old 2.7, just as audirevolution seems to be a lot more helpful with my S6 than the forum here.....anyway, i'll check the fuse, not sure if the mechanic did or not......if there is a sensor in each handle, none of them are working, so maybe it is the fuse, that would be fantastic
Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

anyone have any idea what fuse(s) are for the sensors? i couldn't figure it out from the diagram labels.... the trunk does unlock but none of the four doors will, so i'm wondering if maybe they're on a separate fuse? if not it's not a fuse, i guess all four door sensors could be dead
Old 05-07-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VONBOTTLE
anyone have any idea what fuse(s) are for the sensors? i couldn't figure it out from the diagram labels.... the trunk does unlock but none of the four doors will, so i'm wondering if maybe they're on a separate fuse? if not it's not a fuse, i guess all four door sensors could be dead
Highly unlikely all four door sensors are dead.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have two keys? Do both not work on the door handles but do work with remote button? IMO. the battery change thing is suspect.

There are various sets of instructions on reprogramming Audi keys online. Not sure which apply to your situation. Some are sorta bizarre and complex. None I skimmed are clear that they address the door sensors. if the normal remote function works.

It appears from my reading the door and trunk sensors act independently so you have a central issue of some kind.

I am not a tech..just an interested observer/owner.

Let us know how you do...
Old 05-08-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by huskyz
Do you have two keys? Do both not work on the door handles but do work with remote button? IMO. the battery change thing is suspect.

There are various sets of instructions on reprogramming Audi keys online. Not sure which apply to your situation. Some are sorta bizarre and complex. None I skimmed are clear that they address the door sensors. if the normal remote function works.

It appears from my reading the door and trunk sensors act independently so you have a central issue of some kind.

I am not a tech..just an interested observer/owner.

Let us know how you do...
unfortunately only have one key fob, they all seemed to stop working after changing the fob battery maybe a year ago, but as i said, the trunk still opens and remote engine start work fine, and all the other fob functions work. the batteries are from the dollar store, but are sylvania 3V lithium and works fine in my S6 fob. now, did they stop functioning right after changing the battery? - i'm not exactly sure as it's my wife's car so who knows for sure, she doesn't remember.......as for fuses, there are so many with names that might be the one(s), but who knows
Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

unfortunately only have one key fob, they all seemed to stop working after changing the fob battery maybe a year ago, but as i said, the trunk still opens and remote engine start work fine, and all the other fob functions work. the batteries are from the dollar store, but are sylvania 3V lithium and works fine in my S6 fob. now, did they stop functioning right after changing the battery? - i'm not exactly sure as it's my wife's car so who knows for sure, she doesn't remember.......as for fuses, there are so many with names that might be the one(s), but who knows
It isn't the battery type that is suspect, it's that the key may need to be resynched/connected to the car in some way. (But since you say everything BUT the doors/handles work OK I am growing less sure this is involved...but electronics/computers are funny things some time so I wouldn't rule it out completely). Since you only have one key, it could slso complicate the resynch (I am guessing from some previous reading).

You probably saw this vid
unfortunately it gives no idea what he learned/did to fix it...if he did. Nevertheless it looks different than your problem.

I can't really help. Hopefully someone will jump into this thread with a good answer or you will goto the other fora. If it were me I'd either live with it or take it to someone who knows what they are doing and has experience with the problem. As the video shows (and the comments and the items for sale...) you aren't the only one.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by huskyz
It isn't the battery type that is suspect, it's that the key may need to be resynched/connected to the car in some way. (But since you say everything BUT the doors/handles work OK I am growing less sure this is involved...but electronics/computers are funny things some time so I wouldn't rule it out completely). Since you only have one key, it could slso complicate the resynch (I am guessing from some previous reading).

You probably saw this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9ICnxOu0o unfortunately it gives no idea what he learned/did to fix it...if he did. Nevertheless it looks different than your problem.

I can't really help. Hopefully someone will jump into this thread with a good answer or you will goto the other fora. If it were me I'd either live with it or take it to someone who knows what they are doing and has experience with the problem. As the video shows (and the comments and the items for sale...) you aren't the only one.
i've tried various reprogramming methods i've found here and none have worked.....i'll keep looking into trying to figure out which fuse it is
Old 05-08-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

i've tried various reprogramming methods i've found here and none have worked.....i'll keep looking into trying to figure out which fuse it is
Trying the various incantations to reset the key system must have been funnn

Fuse box list B8

Quick Reply: door handle sensors question