S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DRL brightness adjust

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL brightness adjust

I was messing with this Vag-com setting in my garage, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything for me (but the DRLs seem pretty bright already).

I used Adaptation channel 3 in central electric (which is labeled as turn signal dimming) and the default value was 9. I tried 40, 75, and 100 but didn't note any brightness change in the reflection of the lights off the wall of my garage.

Has anyone been able to see the DRL brightness changes while you were adjusting the values and clicking the TEST button?
(I have a 2012 prestige if that matters)
Old 02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Aren't those values only used when the headlights are on (at night)? And the LEDs are on 100% during the day?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereodude
Aren't those values only used when the headlights are on (at night)? And the LEDs are on 100% during the day?
BINGO!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Changing the value from 9% to 100% when the head lights are on makes a big difference! I did my wife's A4 and she was following me home just before dark and I'm actually thinking now I may have to turn them down a bit.

On a side note, if you have disabled the amber side markers and you have set your LED value at 100% with lights on. It's a different look in the front when turning your parking lights on and fogs as the only lights on will be your LED's and fogs, especially if you have the Xenon match fogs.

Last edited by RCM09; 02-12-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll have to see if I can track down the threads that led me to believe it had to do with DRL brightness during daylight driving, and that the default from the factory was they were set pretty dim. I seem to recall the comments were from people that are generally knowledgable about things like this, but it's also possible I misunderstood.

What would be the point of full bright DRLs while the headlights are on, especially with the adaptive xenon headlights that come with the prestige model?

The LEDs in the DRLs are not the long-range headlight type of LED (which are very costly) so they don't have much illumination range. The DRL LEDs also seem very angle-sensitive and look pretty dim when you're slightly off axis, but that could be more about the lens that covers the LEDs and that was Audi's intent.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

[Pedant mode]
When the head lights are on the LEDs are no longer DRLs. They are "side lights" or "marker lights" or what ever you want to call them.
[/pedant]

I increased mine to 50% and decided higher was too much.

Bear in mind that DRLs (by default) will dim when you use the turn signals. When the LED's are working as "side lights" then they don't dim as they aren't intended to be used at a brightness that would need dimming.

i.e. if you make your "side lights" too bright then people can't see your turn signals.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey EF99. I don't recall adaptation channel 3 or 'turn signal dimming'. I did mess around with the settings a bit a couple times and can dig up what I've done if you'd like. Here are my comments:

DRL mode for the LEDs should be 100% day and night as far as I know. Note that you can change what lights are used for DRL with VAGCOM.

Parking light mode can be set to full brightness via VAGCOM (check box soemwhere, can look it up). My LEDs were at a reduced brightness of 9% untill I went for full brightness. I drive in this mode just about all the time during the day as I prefer to have rear tail lights on and full LED brightness in the front.

In headlight mode, the LEDs are reduced to 9%. I had these set to 100% via VAGCOM as some others have done, but I was high beamed a few times and dropped this back down to 9% and then made the parking light mode of full brightness instead.

I can't speak to Auto mode as I never use it.

Scotty makes a good point that the turn signals may be hard to see if overall lighting is too bright. This is probably why Audi put in the 'wink'. I removed the wink though.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got a 2012 Premium+ and have never witness the "wink". When using my turn signature, the DRL remain lit. I keep hearing about how you have to use VAG-COM so the DRL are always on when turn signal is enabled.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some features such as the wink and the needle sweep were either there or not depending on the car. I don't know if anyone figured out why there have been variations (build dates, dealership intervention, other). I bought my 2010 used and the needle sweep was there and so was the wink.

EF, when changing the settings, you may have to fully save the updates with 'do it!' in order to see the change. Also, it can be helpful to have someone help you so you can see the change happening right away without running back and forth to the side of the car where your laptop is. Let me know if I can help with any of the settings I've enabled for the LEDs.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hiwasss
I got a 2012 Premium+ and have never witness the "wink". When using my turn signature, the DRL remain lit. I keep hearing about how you have to use VAG-COM so the DRL are always on when turn signal is enabled.
$20 you don't live in the US

Quick Reply: DRL brightness adjust