S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DRL brightness adjust

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks zulujams. I was missing the dependence on the different headlight settings. I think I'll just put it back to the default of 9. I've just been leaving the headlights in AUTO mode.

I do have a question for you though...

Above you commented:

"In headlight mode, the LEDs are reduced to 9%. I had these set to 100% via VAGCOM as some others have done, but I was high beamed a few times and dropped this back down to 9% and then made the parking light mode of full brightness instead."

and

"I don't recall adaptation channel 3 or 'turn signal dimming'."

I'm just curious where you made the brightness adjustments for headlight mode and parking light mode, since I was only aware of the adjustment via 09-Central Electric, (unlock secure access) Adaption Channel 3. It was taken from one of the lists of vag-com mods floating around. No hurry; just curious is all.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey EF, I thought you might ask, so I brought my VAGCOM file into work.

For parking light mode, I first had a helper switch between DRLs and parking lights without any changes and I noticed that the LEDs got dim in parking light mode. To make them fully bright, I set this:
09-Central Elect->coding-7, byte 3, bit 2 (LEDs remain at full brightness w/ parking lights)

For adjusting LED brightness when headlights are on:
09-Central Elect->Security Access-16, enter security code, Adaptation 10, Channel 3, enter percent value desired (default is 8 or 9, full is 100)
**Sounds like you were in this section. I don't think you can just test but must "do it!" to enable the change? Even doing this in my garage it was tough to tell unless I was in front of the car to see the change happen. I still don't recall turn signal dimming. Maybe verify you were in the correct section of VAGCOM? I can re-check what I've done soon as needed, just let me know.

Side note: are you still checking out oil readings and such with VAGCOM? I'm still at full oil after my 15K service. I can run some scans if needed, maybe when my oil level drops to half in MMI? That will hopefully be awhile.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
Maybe verify you were in the correct section of VAGCOM?

Side note: are you still checking out oil readings and such with VAGCOM? I'm still at full oil after my 15K service. I can run some scans if needed, maybe when my oil level drops to half in MMI? That will hopefully be awhile.
Here's the screen capture from the window after I changed the value to 100:

Name:  drlbrightnesscentelecadapch3chgto100.jpg
Views: 11530
Size:  44.4 KB

On the oil, I'm still checking it, but I don't drive many miles so my progress on updates will be slow. I added my latest info to the "Oil level via vag-com" thread a couple days ago.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow EF, I have no idea what that screen is! There is a dropdown box at the top. Does that give other options? I wonder if that ties specifically to the channel you select at the bottom. For some reason, when we were working on oil scans, our location IDs or 'values' that we monitored did not line up. I wonder if there is something different about either your software or your cable from mine. Did changing your value to 100 change the brightness of the turn signal bulbs?? I don't have my cable with me today, and I can't test this tonight b/c of the Hallmark holiday. I can upgrade to the latest VCDS release and see what I can find out later this week. Maybe the LED brightness changed to a different channel?? If we can't figure this out, we can try posting on the vagcom thread.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Arrh... I was hoping I could further increase the LED brightness during the day. They look great now but I wish they can be brighter and more eye-catching lol.

Originally Posted by Stereodude
Aren't those values only used when the headlights are on (at night)? And the LEDs are on 100% during the day?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
$20 you don't live in the US
Northerners wish Oklahoma doesn't belong to the Union but as of now, we are.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hiwasss
Northerners wish Oklahoma doesn't belong to the Union but as of now, we are.
Then someone tweaked your car with VCDS, because DOT mandates that they wink in this country.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Then someone tweaked your car with VCDS, because DOT mandates that they wink in this country.
Interesting. Does this mandate have something to do with physical closeness of the LEDs to the front turn signal bulb? We can drive with headlights on during the day and they don't wink. I may mess around with the dimming of LEDs when using turn signals versus leaving the LEDs at 100% versus the wink this weekend.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

The regulation is probably somewhere in CFR Title 49, part 571, subpart B

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title49/49-6.1.2.3.36.html

my guess would be section 571.108 from that link above
Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EF99
The regulation is probably somewhere in CFR Title 49, part 571, subpart B

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title49/49-6.1.2.3.36.html

my guess would be section 571.108 from that link above
It had to do with other lighting sources putting out XXX amount of light within YYY distance of the turn indicators. Supposed to prevent them from not being able to be seen if another light source drowns them out.

Quick Reply: DRL brightness adjust