S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRL brightness adjust

Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good info, thanks. Removing the wink then is a violation in the US, but I don't think we have much to worry about. I don't think it is legal to drive with fog lights on in good weather, at least here, but people do it every day of the year. Still, I believe in safety where possible, and ensuring people can see the turn signal is a good thing. I'll try the dimming feature via VAGCOM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have seen several Audi's with the goofy wink turned off and I must admit, it IS harder to pick up the turn signal esp in bright daylight , esp with your peripheral vision as you look down your lane, as that car is about to turn left in front of you.

The wink is goofy, but I prefer that vs getting hit making a turn, plus you as the driver don't see it. We have a MBZ that turns on ONE fog light ( R or L) during very low speed turns to light you around a parking garage or neighborhood corner and stays on for another 5-10 seconds afterwards : looks totally lame I suppose to others- like you have a burned out bulb, but again, I as a driver don't see it.

Too me, it is a sign of poor engineering that Audi were caught with their pants down , so to speak, of US lighting laws that they have to do this wink, vs all the other makes with similar LED DRLs .

Last edited by Inclined; 02-16-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zulujams View Post
Good info, thanks. Removing the wink then is a violation in the US...
I'm not encouraging anyone to disable the wink (I'm not going to, and it does seem like a plausible safety issue ) but I don't think it's correct to say that it a violation of anything, for the end consumer to disable the wink. It's a regulation rather than a law, and it applies to auto manufacturers (on the input side) not to consumers (on the output side).

There would need to be a separate law that says something to the effect that it's illegal for the owner of a car to circumvent the things the auto manufacturers do to comply with the regulation. There may or may not be such a law (don't know) but it wouldn't be the first time that regulations failed to completely close the loop on the enforcement side.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Inclined View Post
I have seen several Audi's with the goofy wink turned off and I must admit, it IS harder to pick up the turn signal esp in bright daylight , esp with your peripheral vision as you look down your lane, as that car is about to turn left in front of you.

The wink is goofy, but I prefer that vs getting hit making a turn, plus you as the driver don't see it. We have a MBZ that turns on ONE fog light ( R or L) during very low speed turns to light you around a parking garage or neighborhood corner and stays on for another 5-10 seconds afterwards : looks totally lame I suppose to others- like you have a burned out bulb, but again, I as a driver don't see it.

Too me, it is a sign of poor engineering that Audi were caught with their pants down , so to speak, of US lighting laws that they have to do this wink, vs all the other makes with similar LED DRLs .
If there were not very notable bright turn indicators embedded into the side mirrors, I might say I understood.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy View Post
If there were not very notable bright turn indicators embedded into the side mirrors, I might say I understood.
Most of my cars have had side mirror signals ( and some like of my older Audis and Porsches with signals in front fender just ahead of the mirrors for lane changing ) for years so I am aware of their purpose , but from my experience as a driver, I tend to look at the face of approaching car's drivers as well as their grill/ front light area for the turn signal, not their side mirrors to read their intent and I would say 99% of the time I have no memory of " seeing " a car's mirror lights flashing in peripheral vision as I pass by or defer. I suspect other drivers may be the same in their ingrained eye scan habits and if I turned off the wink I would expect the oncoming driver not to see the mirror flashing.

Last edited by Inclined; 02-17-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mirror indicators, when viewed from the front, can easily be lost. Since they stick out and the background to them is changing it is easy for the light to be lost in a see of other lights or just the backdrop.

The indicators in the mirrors are simply where manufacturers have moved their side repeaters to so people scan see the intentions from the side.

Sure, they can often be seen from the front but would you want to reply on that thin bar of light?
Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok EF and others. I messed around with LED settings more. This may get a little lengthy, so apologies in advance.

The module EF was going into, [09-Cent Electric] -> [Adaptation-10] -> Channel 3 states that the percentage is for 'turn signal dimming'. First off, you need to enable the [security access-16] module to get to Channel 3. What I verified from other sources is that Channel 3 is for the brightness of the LEDs overall, regardless of the turn signal on. I had set this in the past to 100% but didnt realize that the channel was labeled 'turn signal dimming'. The default is 9%, but you can set the value up to 100%. The problem is that you can set the LEDs to 100% here even when the headlights are on....such as at night. Some have had no problems with this, but I have been high beamed several times. Maybe that was just the drivers out here in the northeast. Note: in DRL mode, the LEDs are 100% regardless. In parking light mode or with the headlights on (Auto or On), the LEDs are at the level stated in Channel 3 with an exception noted below.

I tested out some more scenarios. Personally, I think leaving channel 3 at 9% is a good thing. The headlights are plenty bright in the night without needing the LEDs at 100%. The LEDs don't really light up the road in front of you--they just annoy other drivers at times. I do like having the LEDs at 100% during the day though. That is simple enough when using the LEDs as DRLs. I like to drive in parking light mode though during the day to enable the tailights. You can set [09-Cent Electric] -> [07-coding] -> Byte 03, bit 2 (check box provided to make it easy) to enabled which allows for fully bright LEDs in parking light mode according to some sources, but it seems that you must enable the DRL setting in MMI even if you're not driving in 'DRL' mode. The problem though in parking light mode is that no dimming occurs when signaling.

I found a fix for this I think. I re-enabled the wink (I know, not everyone loves it, but read on). I enabled the DRL LEDs--I had them shut off initially as I never drive in that mode, but this setting is important elsewhere. With DRLs enabled, I went into Parking Light mode which now runs at 100%, BUT if you turn on a turn signal, the LED on that side dims to the percentage set in Channel 3 above. Once the turn signal is cancelled, the LED turns back on to 100% on that side. This should be the best of both worlds for me at least. I can run at 100% LEDs during the day, with tail lights on, and the LED dims for turns. Note that in DRL mode, these settings will bring back the full wink (no LEDs on the turning side).

I had thought initially that [07-coding] -> Byte 3, bit 2 would force the LEDs to be 100% in parking light mode regardless of the DRL being set to on or off in MMI, but so far it seems that MMI must be set to 'on'. At least in the garage, I was able to notice the dimming of the LEDs on the turn signal side. I'll have to test this in full daylight outside with someone turning the signal on and off. I don't know how helpful this will be for others, but maybe a couple of you will find this useful.

On a side note, I shut off my amber side markers in the front for the moment. You can do this with [07-coding] -> Byte 10, bit 3 (unselect check box). During the day, i think this will help other drivers focus on the turn signal which is on the inside of the light units. At night, it would be nice to have this on, but these HID lights are really bright and I'm hoping that is all I would need (plus the side markers are reflective). Comments/abuse welcome on that.

Separate side note: I went into [07-coding] -> byte 23 and unchecked the rain/light sensor. I don't use the lights in auto mode anyway, and the wipers annoy me when I set the interval and they just do whatever they want based on the amount of 'perceived' rain. I look forward to the next rainy day to see if I have re-gained control of the wipers or not...partly just to know if I can do so but just making a simple VAGCOM change.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Guys,

Do you also have the vagcom for AUDI A1 ?