S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Gas smell, dealer can't find

Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another update:

10 days later, they finally got the car back to me. They could not find any other information from Audi USA concerning this problem. After a week of phone calls, they took the area of the car apart to find no obvious signs of fuel leaks. Since there was still a noticeable smell from that area of the car, I think they just decided to replace everything in that area and hope it fixes the problem. They replaced the fuel pressurizer pump and charcoal canister. They then drove the car around and didn't notice a fuel smell.

I have a nice long hot weather drive coming up this weekend. I will let you know if it returns, but for now the dealership claims the problem is fixed, as they could not replicate the smell after the parts were replaced. I'm still a little leery of believing them since the problem was so intermittent before, but only time will tell.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

it's disconcerting when they're all...'dunno'.

We expect they're tack sharp and will find it in a heartbeat. Oh well

Hopefully it works out. I bet your hardware (some of it) is shared among other platforms. Since the 3.0t is in the S5, Q7, A6, A7, I wonder if someone on those platform forums have noticed this.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Check your coil packs

I had exactly the same problem - my S4 2014 with 62K miles started smelling gas. Not always, but only sometimes after 1 hour or so of driving. There was no any alarm signals. Smell (when it happened) was way too strong and overwhelming. I took it to a dealer who "extensively checked" my car. After $180 and two days later they returned the car and told me that they could not find anything wrong with it. Yesterday my EPC light went on and I felt strong gas smell again. I check the codes by connecting computer and via Ros-Tech cable to my S4. And here we go - Cylinder 3 misfire. Little research told me that I need to change coil packs, which is a "normal" service item at that mileage. It took me $240 in parts and 30 min in labor to replace all six coil packs and now my car does not smell gas anymore.

I think that somehow there was a problem in one cylinder that did not cause any error code (don't ask me why). Then the error code initiated (may be the problem was gradually getting worse). The issue was resolved by replacing coil packs.

I hope this is helpful. I now need to go back to the dealer and get my $180 back.