S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Grill filler plate on front of car

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grill filler plate on front of car

when i picked up may car in November, it had the grill plate on front with the license plate bracket. I see there are some that do not have the bracket. Was i suppose to have the option of having on or the other, or should i have received both?

thanks

Steve
Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I didn't have to ask for the license plate delete, my SA assumed I'd want it that way. It's more of an option.

*edit* I live in California where it is against the law to not have a front license plate.

Last edited by ShadowJet; 01-13-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
when i picked up may car in November, it had the grill plate on front with the license plate bracket. I see there are some that do not have the bracket. Was i suppose to have the option of having on or the other, or should i have received both?

thanks

Steve
The dealer is the one who usually decides if it is ordered or not unless the buyer specifically requests it. I live in a state with no front license plate so the local dealer never orders a car with the front license plate bracket.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you live in a state that requires a front plate? If so that might be the reason unless as the others stated, you requested a blank filler.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live in CA, and had to specifically order it without the license plate holder.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Iowa- and they require it. I figured that is why it came with one, but i thought i still had the option, or that it might have come with both, and the buyer could swap them out at their discretion.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took mine off, in WA they are required, but I drove my G35 for 5 years without using one and never had any issues. I carry it in the trunk so I *have* it, just not installed.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IAS5

thanks

Steve
You dont recieve both plate fillers, you have to request the one that you want. When I purchased my car it had a plate holder in the front and living in florida its not necessary, so I refused to take delivery unless they switched out the plate filler. Which they ordered and placed on the car on delivery day.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If your state requires a front plate, the dealer is legally required to provide you..

with the means to fix one. That's why you car shipped with one, because, based on your location, the dealer had to order it that way.

Fortunately, it's very easy (and relatively inexpensive) to swap out the filler plate. Many dealers will order the part and swap it out for you as part of the deal if you ask them to ahead of time.

What's annoying is when you live in a state where no front plate is required and through an allocation/car swap your car is delivered with the front plate filler plate.

Last edited by Bob58; 01-14-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I specifically put on my order sheet that I wanted the grill filler plate and not the front license plate holder/bracket.

I also live and have been driving in California for the past 15 years and have never been pulled over for not having a front license plate. I've had one friend who was speeding pretty drastically and when he was pulled over for that the cop wrote him a fix-it ticket for not having a front plate.

Quick Reply: Grill filler plate on front of car