AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   Hard Shift in the new S4 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/hard-shift-new-s4-2792934/)

bortokali 10-19-2010 10:34 PM

Hard Shift in the new S4

I have less than 3000 miles on my S4, but in stop & go traffic, it does a hard shift, that sometimes is hard enough to shake the car, I took in to the dealer, ran a test and said everything is fine. It still does it every once in a while, any idea?

aalui 10-20-2010 02:29 AM

is it s tronic? i have the same problem, it seems to be normal

DustinS 10-20-2010 03:22 AM

mine does the same thing.. I have about 2400 miles on it. In stop and go traffic, it seems that if I give it gas about when the car is going to downshift (because I'm slowing down) there's a very noticable shift. Very hard to explain.. like it's "catching" between gears and having to correct itself.

I thought (think?) it's normal with a car that has this type of gear ratio.

bmoney 10-20-2010 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by DustinS (Post 24049441)
mine does the same thing.. I have about 2400 miles on it. In stop and go traffic, it seems that if I give it gas about when the car is going to downshift (because I'm slowing down) there's a very noticable shift. Very hard to explain.. like it's "catching" between gears and having to correct itself.

I thought (think?) it's normal with a car that has this type of gear ratio.

I have it too from time to time. It's like you described above. I had the same behavior with my M3 DCT tranny too. I think it's normal.

81bear 10-20-2010 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by bortokali (Post 24049418)
I have less than 3000 miles on my S4, but in stop & go traffic, it does a hard shift, that sometimes is hard enough to shake the car, I took in to the dealer, ran a test and said everything is fine. It still does it every once in a while, any idea?

I have about 12,000km and I do not have that problem. The only time I have a, somewhat, hard shift is in S mode, shifting between 1st and 2nd, and I have to lift off the accelerator suddenly or I pause just before it shift to the next gear.

997C2S 10-20-2010 05:11 AM

I experience this sometimes in Sport mode. My expectation of Stronic is that it would pick up your driving style and adapt. For example coming up to a curve and you take foot off gas Stronic would sense and downshift. My car does not do that in D or S. Only way to achieve is downshifting myself.

drrick89 10-20-2010 05:17 AM

Yup, it's normal with my 2010 S4 S-tronic with over 10K miles. I drive with the gear select in the manual mode almost exclusively and I'd guess it happens a couple times a week. It seems like it's catching in between gears to me too and I figure it just a timing thing as if you're trying to shift when it's doing something else.

NWS4Guy 10-20-2010 05:34 AM

Take it in and have the DSG software revision looked at, there have been new releases which specifically address this.

DrizzTT 10-21-2010 09:50 AM

Only thing on notice on my MT is that during heavy throttle input and doing quick shifts I have to really force the 2-3 shift or else it won't go into gear. Never had this on any of my cars, and I've always driven MTs.

bortokali 10-21-2010 07:31 PM

It is S Tronic. They say that they are aware of the problem in Germany & they are working on software upgrade.