S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

headlight flicker

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headlight flicker

Hi, I've searched here and at another site but haven't found a thread for B8s with a 'headlight flicker'. I did find some info for older models. My driver side headlight has been flickering slightly, but only when hitting bumps. Since it is only on bumps, I would think this rules out a ballast type issue as seen by some older models? I have the LEDs below the headlights set either to the stock level of 8 or 9 or maybe up to 50, can't remember at the moment. The headlight leveling seems fine at start up and have not had any bulb blackout events, just a flicker. Anyone experience this? I haven't checked the wiring of course. Hopefully this weekend. Temps have been ranging from 20s to 40s if that matters. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had to replace 3 ds3 bulbs over the years and each has flickered as they started to go. None just outright died

try swapping bulbs from driver to passenger side, being super careful not to touch the glass, and see if the flicker follows the bulb... if it does it's time to buy a new pair of bulbs (two new because the old one won't be as bright)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, good advice. I'll wear nitrile gloves when handling the bulbs like I have with the halogen bulbs. Hopefully I can get some time to swap them this weekend. Other than the flicker, these headlights are amazing to what I've had in the past.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Revisiting an old thread: I've noticed that the headlights will twitch briefly when accelerating from a dead stop (as noticed by the reflection off the car ahead of me). No movement on bumps, etc. Anyone else notice this? Thanks.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Though the S4 is long gone, I figured I'd reply since I started the thread. I never ended up swapping the bulbs, even when I took the nose off to plastidip the grille black. I get the same result on my ST but it seems more pronounced on the ST--flickering or bouncing of light on the pavement not far in front of the car. My wife thinks I'm crazy and never sees any of this. She's shorter so maybe she really doesn't see it. Or maybe my eyes and brain are off. I actually think now that the issue, with the ST anyway, is the LED eyebrows flexing on bumps. As the days get darker I may try to check that out but won't reply back since it won't be S4 info and won't know if whatever I find translates over.

Goony, good to see you still have the Imola--beautiful color. Good luck with your inquiry! I may return someday to Audi, maybe an S3, A4, or an eTron?? I ended up replacing my old BMW RT for a new F800GT so at least I have something shiny and fun from Germany...

Last edited by zulujams; 10-03-2014 at 08:37 AM.