S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How many miles out of a set of tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles out of a set of tires?

I just switched to my snow tires and realized i'm completely through my summer tires in only 12,000 miles. Is this normal for an S4? I got more mileage out of that in my 911? These are the stock conti tires.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
I just switched to my snow tires and realized i'm completely through my summer tires in only 12,000 miles. Is this normal for an S4? I got more mileage out of that in my 911? These are the stock conti tires.
I had a 2009 with the 19" wheel/tire (summer tires) set up. I "enjoyed" less than 15K miles out of the MaxPerf Dunlop's that Audi put on the car.

I replaced them with UHP A/S's (I live in Cincinnati which has 'moderate' winters and not much snow, usually) -- the UHP's (W rated, often) from several name brand companies (I have Conti DWS 06's now) I would think would be good for perhaps 40K miles if the car never sees the track (which mine does not).

I got 30K miles out of the Grand Touring tires that came with my 2014 S4. The tires were very comfortable -- but not very inspiring. The DWS's on the other hand feel much more like top performance tires, even though they have the A/S designation.

I would think the OEM tires SHOULD be good for 20K miles. The issue I had is that that the S4 is such a blast to drive "with vigor" that I tended to sacrifice the tires in some 25% fewer miles than I could have, had I shown some restraint.

If you cannot use an A/S UHP tire, or, perhaps, simply don't want to, you can find the tires with the greatest tread life by digging into www.tirerack.com's reviews and ratings.

The S4 with the best summer only Max Perf tires is certainly a great performing car, if you have the purse for perhaps annual "new shoes."
Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
It depends on how you drive. I tend to get around 15k to 17k miles on a set of UHP all season tires. Last two sets were DWS, now on Pilot A/S 3.

I had the same 15k to 17k miles lifetime with Pzero Nero on a AMG C32.

If you drive a lot on the freeway, the mileage will generally be better.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 65 yrs old so I don't drive really aggressively to excess. But I have never been able to get good mileage on any UHP summer tires regardless of brand or what car I am driving. That being said, I did get 21k miles out of my 19" Dunlop Maxx tires and was satisfied with that. I always replace the OEM summer UHP tires with a/s tires when the wear out. They handle well enough for me and get me where I need to go in the winter. They are cheaper and give better tread life. Some owners claim they get much better mileage out of their tires. And If you have the stock Contis that come on the s4s, they have really poor tread life
Old 10-22-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

The tires that came on the car fro the factory lasted about 25,000 miles. I'm only 35K now on my new tires so I can't say further than that.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here are the data so far...

… for my California S-cars and the mileage for their first full tire change:

2013 S5 Manual: 16,000 miles

2014 S4 7-speed: 9000 miles

2014 S5 7-speed: 10,000 miles

2105 RS5 7-speed: 9000 miles

The first S5 was before I could commit much time to weekend excisions in the mountains. Now, my wife and I go each week at least once on a 150 mile twisty loop, driven with passion. Sometimes, twice per week. I rotate every 4000 miles and measure inflation pressure versus wear obsessively. Your Porsche is lighter and on wider tires, so your wear might be different (although Porsche used very aggressive camber and toe-in settings on the front). The driven front tires on the Audi are like sausage grinders. The little ***** of rubber stuck to the tires after a drive are more abundant up front than out back. Such is the life of UHP tires, that have UTQG ratings around 200 or less. A colleague of mine has a new Corvette with Michelin Sport Cups (UTQG 180) and they are used up at 4000 miles. He is looking at Hankook Ventus Evo 2's which are half the price and a UTQG of 320.

The new Bridgestones on my RS5 are 280, so I am hoping for a bit of relief. My wife is quite spirited with her S4 and she is into the third set at 16K and second set of brakes. I have created a bit of a monster as she only recently became enthralled with canyon carving. She used to have an A6. So now we are collectively chewing through at least three sets of tires and two sets of brakes each year. She loves the aggressive driving and wants to be on a track - yikes!

We test drove a Mazda Miata Club last week as it is so fun and CHEAP to maintain. She is 5'2" and fits well. I am 6'4" and do not. I am pretty sure the RS5 will find a new home soon too as it is a beast and not as fun to toss around as I had hoped. I miss the manual transmission as it is such an engaging process (I know, the S-Tronic is faster). I am not trying to set lap times, instead I am in a dance with these cars. The RS5 is a wonderful GT however with looks to kill.

Happy Motoring as the S4 is such a great compromise solution for all that we ask of a car.

Happy Motoring

Eric

Last edited by eric strauss; 10-26-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2014 S4 came with Continental Sport Contact 3 and I have to say those are the worst tires that I ever received on a new Audi. After about 5k miles the road noise became intolerable and I contacted the manufacturer about it. They sent me to the dealership to have the tires evaluated turned out that the tires had to be replaced after only 9k miles which apparently caused the increased road noise. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sport probably one of the best tires on the market. I kept the Conti tires to put on my track wheels as they still have some track life in them but again I'm disappointed with those Continental tires.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only got about 12k on my stock Conti summer tires, too. I have had really two really aggressive driving situations, the first through the mountains the day after the break in period ended, and the second a couple of runs on the Tail of the Dragon. I imagine I scrubbed off quite a bit of rubber Other than that, I drive fairly conservatively (or so I think). Still, I was unpleasantly surprised at the wear.
I am shopping now, looks like I'll be going Michelin PS A/S 3 or Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. Looks like I am choosing between better handling/less comfortable vs. more comfortable, longer lasting. The classic choice. Sigh.

As my summer conti's seem to have gotten alot louder, less comfortable (AND WORN) as they've aged, I am leaning toward the Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06's as they seem to better address those gripes. TireRack users seem to prefer it, too, scoring better in almost every category.
What do you guys think?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dawgfanjeff
I only got about 12k on my stock Conti summer tires, too. I have had really two really aggressive driving situations, the first through the mountains the day after the break in period ended, and the second a couple of runs on the Tail of the Dragon. I imagine I scrubbed off quite a bit of rubber Other than that, I drive fairly conservatively (or so I think). Still, I was unpleasantly surprised at the wear.
I am shopping now, looks like I'll be going Michelin PS A/S 3 or Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. Looks like I am choosing between better handling/less comfortable vs. more comfortable, longer lasting. The classic choice. Sigh.

As my summer conti's seem to have gotten alot louder, less comfortable (AND WORN) as they've aged, I am leaning toward the Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06's as they seem to better address those gripes. TireRack users seem to prefer it, too, scoring better in almost every category.
What do you guys think?
I just put the DWS06 on my 18" winter wheels last week, so I don't have any mileage on them yet. Had a $ 70 rebate and also got a good price on them from Town Fair Tire in CT, but tire Rack was within $5 total of them.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

17K out of the OEM - Continental tires.
Replaced with Michelin (pilot super sport) with 30K miles tread wear warranty.

Quick Reply: How many miles out of a set of tires?