S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

If you had to do it over again... (Options)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody has really discussed the merits of the 6MT versus DSG S-Tronic from a sound or acoustics perspective.

When I ordered my 2014 6MT two months ago, they only had the S-Tronic DSG transmission to test drive.

What I loved about the car (and basically sold me) was the exhaust note in Dynamic mode. Specifically the backfire or fart noise when you upshift on power.

That fart noise is really what I wanted to key in on. I've done tons of research but no definitive conclusions.

Since this thread is about options that you would or would not do over again. . . .

What about 6MT or Auto? Outside of a pure control point of view and simply from a sound perspective . . . Does the 6MT have that same fart sound that the Auto does??

I emailed the website AutoSavant because their main review person and S4 owner seems very knowledgeable. http://www.autosavant.com/2013/10/17/2013-audi-s4/

His response was:

The manual will not make that noise. The only reason that the dual clutch version makes that noise is it retards throttle timing (and a few other things) while keeping the throttle open during shifts. The only manual cars that would have a chance of making this noise are the ones with a “no lift shift” function like the Camaro ZL1. While that noise is fun, you’ll still be happy with the sounds the car makes during throttle lift off/deceleration.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

The fart sound has really grown on me. I like it. I would like to know exactly what causes it though.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
It is well established that DSGs are not slower than manuals. It is the opposite. I can appreciate the idea of having a manual, but at least get the facts straight. Perhaps your buddy sucks at driving and is still better off in the DSG because he wouldn't be able to drive the manual.
++1

I am still loving my fairly-loaded Prestige S4. I really like the Alcantera (thought I wanted full leather- not now), carbon fiber trim, advance key and push-button start is all a must-have in my book as is sport-diff. I prefer the DSG for MY daily driver, but trans is as personal as color choice and favorite flavor of ice cream.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Does the Sports Differential come standard with either of the options, Premium or Prestige? Is there a Premium AND a Premium Plus or are they the same?

I ask cause I don't want to assume it comes with whatever package or if the Stealership says the car has it, I'm buying used here, how can I tell if it really does have it? Untrusting? You bet when it comes to fast talking salesmen.

I am so looking forward to joining this club!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by citykid22
Does the Sports Differential come standard with either of the options, Premium or Prestige? Is there a Premium AND a Premium Plus or are they the same?
No, it's not standard with any trim.
For the S4 in the US, there's only the Premium Plus and Prestige trims. "Premium" is an A4 trim.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by citykid22
I ask cause I don't want to assume it comes with whatever package or if the Stealership says the car has it, I'm buying used here, how can I tell if it really does have it? Untrusting? You bet when it comes to fast talking salesmen.
You can always look under the back of the car. It looks like this:

The Actuator is the dead giveaway. There's nothing on the regular diff that looks like that.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you Bobby!