S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

If your Thermostat goes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
redrocker- all this IC stuff and T-Stat is on their dime. The car is under warranty and they screwed up the T-Stat install.. It is only irritating to me. My loaner which I have had for 5 days now is a Jetta 2.5 (They are a VW/Audi dealer).

Bruce
Your service being done at University? How would you rate their service? Placed my S4 order there back in Feb. Should be taking delivery in June.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by redrocker55
Got cha...I meant I wonder if the dealer has to pay for the I/C or if Audi will pick it up since the dealer broke it.

I bet it's irritating. Thankfully I have not had any of the coolant system issues...but if I had I would be going nuts.

Nothing wrong with the Jetta...I almost bought one of those 2 months ago. It's not an S4...but it could be a lot worse. I would think it would be oK to call them and ask for an Audi as a loaner...especially if it's going to be a few more days. They should understand that simple request.
This is fine with me. I drive to work in heavy traffic, so a decent car is fine. A Jetta will work fine for me here. I drove a Jetta for 10 years many years ago. It is just not as fast or cushy as my S4, but still a decent ride.

Bruce
Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have been working with University now for probably 15 years. Very good experience. Who are you working with for an SA?

Bruce
Old 04-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Donald Frey. He's only been there for about 7 months. Great customer service and very laid back. Thanks for your feedback. They seem like a quality shop.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, glad to hear that you made it home safely. It was less than 2 weeks ago that we were just talking about this, and what to do in the event if it should happen. My guess is that these T-Stat are failing at an alarming rate which resulted in the RVU being issued. For the other members that are thinking about waiting until the next service, it may be a good idea to take the trouble and get it done sooner than later.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tifosi
First of all, glad to hear that you made it home safely. It was less than 2 weeks ago that we were just talking about this, and what to do in the event if it should happen. My guess is that these T-Stat are failing at an alarming rate which resulted in the RVU being issued. For the other members that are thinking about waiting until the next service, it may be a good idea to take the trouble and get it done sooner than later.
Anthony- I had my T-Stat done sooner (T-Stat did not fail) rather than later and it has been 5 days and I do not still have my car back. Apparently, they damaged one of the ICs replacing my T-Stat and there are no ICs in the USA. My car is dead in the water until they dig up some ICs from Germany. Sucks. No idea what timeframe will be.

Bruce
Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have about 3000 miles or 70 days until I'm required to bring my car in for it's 15k service. I was going to wait to get my T-stat replaced then, but now it might be a better idea to get it done earlier.

Glad you got yourself and your S4 home safely, Neal.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well that does suck. Glad you made it home ok.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all, I'll keep the thread updated as we progress today, the main reason for a new post (since as many point out, these seem to all be happening suddenly) was to let people know there are some steps they can take which might help.

My engine was still quite warm despite the oil and temp guage readings, as the fans up front were going like crazy still for another 10 seconds after I shut down last night.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK
That sucks! Mine is going back in on Wednesday for some slow coolant leak. I think I found a pinhole leak on one of the hoses (sounds like what Primetime experienced indeed!) that the slow leak originates from. Only seems to leak when the car is running/driving. Kept under 2500rpm the whole day today.

Do check the car when you get it back and monitor the coolant level...
Interesting... My dealer showed me the hose, it is one of the two that is used to connect the tubing to the harder plastic tubes that flow between the intercoolers... the hole was on the backside of it which made it even harder to detect and like yours only acted up when the car was driven hard... So I didn't notice anything until I hit the track and then popped the hood with coolant sprayed everywhere... The Service Manager said that AOA wanted to hose sent in for examiniation which I thought was weird unless they percieve a bigger problem... Keep us posted with what happens to yours and sorry about your luck... later Ron

Quick Reply: If your Thermostat goes