S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

If your Thermostat goes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked mine up from Barrier today. They replaced the hose (the one I "found" the pinhole leak) and pressure tested the whole system to make sure there wasn't any other. It had to stay overnight waiting for the hose to arrive. Seems to be leak free so far!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my thermostat replaced yesterday along with the 5k service. No issues with the replacement so far. Going to keep an eye on the coolant level for the next week just in case, but seems pretty seamless.

Steve, I was talking to Graham yesterday and he mentioned driving a customer's S4 back to their house the other day. He commented about how much he loved the sound of the exhaust. I think he was talking about your car.

Alas, my "power steering" whirring/groaning sound did not get reduced as others have reported after thermostat replacement.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brandonb
Had my thermostat replaced yesterday along with the 5k service. No issues with the replacement so far. Going to keep an eye on the coolant level for the next week just in case, but seems pretty seamless.

Steve, I was talking to Graham yesterday and he mentioned driving a customer's S4 back to their house the other day. He commented about how much he loved the sound of the exhaust. I think he was talking about your car.

Alas, my "power steering" whirring/groaning sound did not get reduced as others have reported after thermostat replacement.
Yep that was mine. When he came to the door he said several times how much he loved the sound! It was cool to hear it from him. We need to do pizza and beer again.

Steve
Old 05-01-2011, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Picked mine up from Barrier on Friday - had the t-stat replaced.

Seems to be fine, but I was a little disappointed in how messy the car was: coolant on the front grill and clear evidence of spills in the engine compartment. My garage stinks like coolant once the engine has been running - I assume it's burning off the spills they did (doesn't seem like it's a leak).

Anyone else have the smell of coolant outside their car after this service?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mellow - no such problems here. Had mine done at Barrier on Friday as well.

If it's a problem, I'm sure they'd clean off the engine compartment for you if you dropped back by. Lame the tech didn't do that on their own.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Barrier cleaned my engine bay up of any coolant after the leak. Exterior had tons of water spots though (not to nitpick, but I forgot to ask them NOT to put it through the car wash). Made it nice and shiny again yesterday though.

Make sure to check your coolant levels closely for the next week.