S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Individual Drive Select

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Individual Drive Select

Love driving the car in the Dynamic drive select mode but find that it just absolutely pisses through gas! Even when I have it in Automatic I find the gas mileage pretty abysmal so I'm usually driving around in Comfort which is Eh. Do you guys normally do every day driving in the custom individual setting? I was thinking about doing all setting to Dynamic except for engine. Maybe that would offer good balance of fun yet not completely burn gas.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I set ADS on Indvidual for everyday driving with everything in Auto except Dynamic Suspension which is set in Dynamic.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i leave my car in comfort except for steering

Originally Posted by tony boons33
Love driving the car in the Dynamic drive select mode but find that it just absolutely pisses through gas! Even when I have it in Automatic I find the gas mileage pretty abysmal so I'm usually driving around in Comfort which is Eh. Do you guys normally do every day driving in the custom individual setting? I was thinking about doing all setting to Dynamic except for engine. Maybe that would offer good balance of fun yet not completely burn gas.
which is in dynamic. When I want to get faster acceleration I pull back on gear shift and it goes from D to S. when I finish playing, I pull back to D. DSG car of course.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Not an S4, but yes I used to drive primarily in individual mode with my RS5. Everything in Auto, except the sport differential in Dynamic. I like the sharper turn-in with the sport diff in Dynamic. However, I recently replaced the P Zeros with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which have a sharper turn-in on their own, so I've found myself dialing back the sport differential and am now doing most of the driving in Auto mode.

I also take full advantage of the DSG. If the road opens up and I want to be a bit frisky as stated above, I simply pull back on the shifter to go into S. This puts the engine and transmission in Dynamic mode, but leaves everything else untouched. I then generally flip it over to Manual mode and take over the shifting. Once I get back into mundane driving, I just put it back to D.

Comfort mode is largely reserved for long highway trips and full Dynamic mode for when I hit up the canyon roads.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-03-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I set my Individual to everything Dynamic except throttle with is Auto. But if you are looking for better fuel economy, (which is a prime reason NOT to buy an S4), set your throttle to Comfort. I personally use dynamic for selected spirited driving episodes BTW, most of us are pretty satisfied with the fuel economy we are getting with our B8 S4s. IMHO, its really good for the performance we are getting. BUT spirited driving will definitely play havoc with the gas mileage. Also factor in that gas prices are not near what they had been when premium was over $4/gal.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

If your FACELIFT S4/S5 has both Audi Drive Select AND the DSG transmission, you can enable Efficiency Mode as an additional drive select profile. We didn't get this mode in the states and the reasons are beyond me considering the cornucopia of EPA regulation going on. The mode understandably neutered the car to a degree by adjusting engine power curve values as well as transmission shift points. It will also do other minor tweaks to save energy like subtle adjustments to HVAC settings etc. (Stuff in the background you probably wouldn't even notice). But the really cool thing I've heard it does, and this is why the DSG transmission is required, is it allows it to freewheel when coasting. I have enabled this on our S4 and through conservative driving, hit 32 MPG. If you have a VCDS cable: 09-Central Elec.>16-Security Access>20113 and click 'Do It'>10-Adaptation>Type Channel 66 and click Read. My value was 15. Add 32 to this number to make it 47. Click test and then save.

You should now have the efficiency mode in your drive select menu.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

if you drive an s4 why would you want to use economy mode?.It defeats the whole reason for buying it, power performance and handling.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

To each his own. Some people just want to drive as economically as possible if there's no reason to drive in a performance manner. A good example is when one is driving in stop/go traffic. If you have economy or comfort mode, why not use it. It's not as if driving in dynamic mode would make you go any faster in crawling traffic. If you can save a bit of gas, why not?
Old 04-15-2017, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually drive in individual mode
Everything set to comfort except engine/ transmission to dynamic, and engine sound and sport diff on auto.