S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Issues with B&O Sound B8 S4

Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with B&O Sound B8 S4

Sorry, I did some searching, and couldn't find too much on this forum on the B8 S4 for this specific issue...apologies if this is a duplicate thread (I feel like it might be). If so, please spare me the 'you're an idiot' conversation on the thread, and quickly answer my question or point me in the right direction...

Anyway, I am an old member and have been away for some time.

I bought a 2012 S4 about a week ago, and I love it. It's got 34K on it, and it's a blast to drive as you all know. The trouble is I felt like the B&O radio wasn't sounding great, so I started tinkering with it and listening to each zone independent of one another to ensure every place was putting out appropriate sounds levels. Well, my concerns were substantiated when I noticed that the rear speakers were putting out next to no sound. The rear speakers on the doors seemed to be doing fine, but the rear deck was awful...

That got me to worrying...the guy I bought the car from had the windows tinted, including the rear window. I worry that the shop he used ruined something by using too much water. I just wonder if they would be producing any sound of that was the case. They are making sound, but they are absolutely flat. When I say flat, I mean flat... No bass whatsoever.

I also think the radio could be stronger and cleaner too for 500+ watts, but maybe that's just a shortcoming due to the lack of rear sound.

What do you think, could the amp have pooped the bed? The car is warrantied yet, but I have read all kinda of horror stories over the past 24 hours pertaining to warranty and the sound system.

This has me a bit worried... Umm...help? Thanks!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Digital_Bees
Sorry, I did some searching, and couldn't find too much on this forum on the B8 S4 for this specific issue...apologies if this is a duplicate thread (I feel like it might be). If so, please spare me the 'you're an idiot' conversation on the thread, and quickly answer my question or point me in the right direction...

Anyway, I am an old member and have been away for some time.

I bought a 2012 S4 about a week ago, and I love it. It's got 34K on it, and it's a blast to drive as you all know. The trouble is I felt like the B&O radio wasn't sounding great, so I started tinkering with it and listening to each zone independent of one another to ensure every place was putting out appropriate sounds levels. Well, my concerns were substantiated when I noticed that the rear speakers were putting out next to no sound. The rear speakers on the doors seemed to be doing fine, but the rear deck was awful...

That got me to worrying...the guy I bought the car from had the windows tinted, including the rear window. I worry that the shop he used ruined something by using too much water. I just wonder if they would be producing any sound of that was the case. They are making sound, but they are absolutely flat. When I say flat, I mean flat... No bass whatsoever.

I also think the radio could be stronger and cleaner too for 500+ watts, but maybe that's just a shortcoming due to the lack of rear sound.

What do you think, could the amp have pooped the bed? The car is warrantied yet, but I have read all kinda of horror stories over the past 24 hours pertaining to warranty and the sound system.

This has me a bit worried... Umm...help? Thanks!
It is possible, I have seen posts on the various forums where the installer needed to be careful that the water used didn't fry the amp in the trunk. Something about making sure they put a towel on it. Try searching the Audi sites for "Tint".

Last edited by togatown; 06-05-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, I read some of that too. Had it been my car then, I certainly would have been more **** retentive and checked into these things... Sadly, I'm not sure he did.

My questions remains though...

Could the amp be dead and still produce sound? Is the amp powering all of the speakers, or are there different amps for different zones -- meaning the rear area has its own amp? I kind of feel as though if the amp were fried, it would just stop altogether, and not simply lower the volume levels... Unless the rear speakers were deadski themselves...

I looked at the amp in the rear driver side, and there doesn't seem to be any signs of water anywhere... If some of the components are dead, will the dealer be cool or will I run into issues?

Originally Posted by togatown
It is possible, I have seen posts on the various forums where the installer needed to be careful that the water used didn't fry the amp in the trunk. Something about making sure they put a towel on it. Try searching the Audi sites for "Tint".
Old 06-05-2014, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I seem to recall that the rear deck speakers are part of the surround sound and not for main output. Try turning surround to maximum in the DSP menu to see if you get more output from the 2 rear deck speakers.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC
I seem to recall that the rear deck speakers are part of the surround sound and not for main output. Try turning surround to maximum in the DSP menu to see if you get more output from the 2 rear deck speakers.
I believe that you need to do it for both Radio/ and Media
Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I was lead to believe as well.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey man,

I just dialed the surround all the way up, and it helped a bit. Still, it seems like something's wrong there...

I popped the trunk, and made sure the woofer was moving, and it was engaged -- albeit not doing what it's supposed to be doing. Something is certainly wrong there.

The question I have is what could be wrong, and will the dealer honor it as a warrantied item? The amp is certainly working for the speakers -- aside from the woofer itself. The speakers are fairly clean at volume, and get to the point where if I turn them up louder more creaks and vibrations start making me nuts. That is to say, they work...

Would tinting affect the woofer -- or is that just an amp problem? I looked at the amp again, and no signs of water or anything foreign to the area.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So it saves the settings for each input separately? Okay, then I will need to do it again for the radio as well. I changed it in the media setting, so it should be fine there.

Still, the woofer is not moving much at all. It's got a very subtle tone to it, but it's not doing what a woofer should be doing. I know the system's not supposed to be killer for bass, but the rear is putting out high frequency only -- as if a crossover is killing anything 80hz downward. I have to think that's not the case from the factory, as the woofer would be rendered virtually useless then...

Originally Posted by DrGP
I believe that you need to do it for both Radio/ and Media
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

water intrusion tint TSB

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-top...09-a5-b-o.html

91 Bang and Olufsen amplifier damaged by water
70 11 22
2024804/1
January 10, 201

AFFECTED VEHICLES
CONDITION
In vehicles with a Bang & Olufsen sound system (PR No. 9VK), the customer may complain the sound is distorted or completely inoperative. Often this complaint arises after accessories or aftermarket equipment has been installed (e.g. window tinting). TECHNICAL BACKGROUND
It is possible the amplifier has been damaged by water, for example from window tinting or ingress into the trunk compartment.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Tip: Amplifier damage as a result of window tinting is due to outside influence and is not covered by any Audi warranty.
If a leak is found in the trunk compartment, claim the complete repair on the service number of the leaking (damage-causing) part ID.

The following Technical Service Bulletin(s) will be necessary to complete this procedure:
<table cellpadding="1" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td>
</td> <td>TSB 2017729, 00 Electrical components malfunctioning after windows have been tinted</td></tr></tbody></table>
Old 06-11-2014, 03:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does this TSB only apply to certain years? I have a 2012 S4...

Also, I have to think if you fry an amp it simply goes out wholesale... Mine is producing good sound throughout the car (aside from a couple rattles), but is just buggy at times. The surrounds and woofer are fairly flat though, which makes me think something's afoot. That is to say, if the amp were dying or dead, I would think it would affect the entire car's sound -- not just the rear deck...

How could one look for water in the amp compartment? I glanced at it a few times and didn't see a thing. Nothing white or anything like it...

Originally Posted by m444
water intrusion tint TSB

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-top...09-a5-b-o.html

91 Bang and Olufsen amplifier damaged by water
70 11 22
2024804/1
January 10, 201

AFFECTED VEHICLES
CONDITION
In vehicles with a Bang & Olufsen sound system (PR No. 9VK), the customer may complain the sound is distorted or completely inoperative. Often this complaint arises after accessories or aftermarket equipment has been installed (e.g. window tinting). TECHNICAL BACKGROUND
It is possible the amplifier has been damaged by water, for example from window tinting or ingress into the trunk compartment.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Tip: Amplifier damage as a result of window tinting is due to outside influence and is not covered by any Audi warranty.
If a leak is found in the trunk compartment, claim the complete repair on the service number of the leaking (damage-causing) part ID.

The following Technical Service Bulletin(s) will be necessary to complete this procedure:
<table cellpadding="1" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td>
</td> <td>TSB 2017729, 00 Electrical components malfunctioning after windows have been tinted</td></tr></tbody></table>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Issues with B&O Sound B8 S4