S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Just installed a Chipwerke module in my S4... WOW

Old 04-04-2016, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just installed a Chipwerke module in my S4... WOW

For starters, this is my first post, so hello all. Picked up my S4 a of weeks ago and immediately fell in love with it. It's so incredibly responsive, and the handling.... I just love it. It did however feel a little under-powered, especially compared to the CLS63 I was leaving behind...

Enter Chipwerke. I was gonna go APR but the thought of voiding my CPO warranty had me worried. I was gonna do it anyway but then I read about Chipwerke - I figured what the hell, I've spent more on an intake!

The results:

I baselined with one other person in the car - combined we weigh about 420lbs. With two people and a full tank of 93 octane (up to 10% ethanol) gas we did 0-60 runs in 4.91, 4.9, 4.93, and 4.96. Nothing to brag about really, but whatever, I wasn't overly shocked.

Installed Chipwerke and went right back out - same load, about 2 gallons less gas =) This time we did 0-60 in 4.3, 4.31, 4.35, 4.3!

Incredible. I'm just blown away. Currently I have the internal dial set to 5... and I'm perfectly content to leave it there for the time being. I do however definitely plan to try it out on #6, but only after I get some slightly higher octane gas (and perhaps an intake).

Oh... and on a side-note - are there any intakes out there that are especially easy to install/remove? I really want to get one but, if i do, I want to be able to remove it prior to all service appointments.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which Chipwerke model do you have ? I understand there are 2 versions. Where did you get it? E Bay?

Last edited by DrGP; 04-04-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stook02@gmail.com
For starters, this is my first post, so hello all. Picked up my S4 a of weeks ago and immediately fell in love with it. It's so incredibly responsive, and the handling.... I just love it. It did however feel a little under-powered, especially compared to the CLS63 I was leaving behind...

Enter Chipwerke. I was gonna go APR but the thought of voiding my CPO warranty had me worried. I was gonna do it anyway but then I read about Chipwerke - I figured what the hell, I've spent more on an intake!

The results:

I baselined with one other person in the car - combined we weigh about 420lbs. With two people and a full tank of 93 octane (up to 10% ethanol) gas we did 0-60 runs in 4.91, 4.9, 4.93, and 4.96. Nothing to brag about really, but whatever, I wasn't overly shocked.

Installed Chipwerke and went right back out - same load, about 2 gallons less gas =) This time we did 0-60 in 4.3, 4.31, 4.35, 4.3!

Incredible. I'm just blown away. Currently I have the internal dial set to 5... and I'm perfectly content to leave it there for the time being. I do however definitely plan to try it out on #6, but only after I get some slightly higher octane gas (and perhaps an intake).

Oh... and on a side-note - are there any intakes out there that are especially easy to install/remove? I really want to get one but, if i do, I want to be able to remove it prior to all service appointments.
Great to hear this, as I am getting ready to go Chipwerke now that the weather is clearing here in NE, and I also have warranty left and don't want to go Stage 2, until it ends and I decide to keep the car.

Question: Do you have DSG and if so, are you getting any shift lag with it?
also, as Dr GP asked, is it the "S" or "Pro" model? I assume from your post, it is the Pro.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the Pro model, bought it directly from their website. Crazy fast shipping too, I bought it on a Tuesday and it was delivered on Thursday..... from CA to MD.

I have the DSG. No lag at all - it drives as if it came from the factory this way. It's incredible how responsive the throttle is, you need to be in the drivers seat to really appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (07-19-2021)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

At the risk of sounding like a marketer, let me put it like this - I'm only just now creating a profile for three reasons, all of which I owe to the installation of this mod: 1) I feel the need to give the folks at Chipwerke credit, 2) I feel somewhat obligated to inform my fellow enthusiasts of whats out there, and....

3) the added power has unearthed feelings I haven't had since the days of autocrossing my S2000 10 years ago. This car is so damn fun... it the handling and breaking is top notch, it's quick as hell, and, unlike my S2000, handles predictably even in the worst of driving conditions!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stook02@gmail.com
At the risk of sounding like a marketer, let me put it like this - I'm only just now creating a profile for three reasons, all of which I owe to the installation of this mod: 1) I feel the need to give the folks at Chipwerke credit, 2) I feel somewhat obligated to inform my fellow enthusiasts of whats out there, and....

3) the added power has unearthed feelings I haven't had since the days of autocrossing my S2000 10 years ago. This car is so damn fun... it the handling and breaking is top notch, it's quick as hell, and, unlike my S2000, handles predictably even in the worst of driving conditions!
It's good to hear someone new give feedback on this product on this forum. There have been Chipwerke discussions on another Audi forum including a shift lag for some with the DSG. However, all have said the customer service has been good and include a no hassle 30 day trial.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's so awesome. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on this for so long. With your review, I think I'll pull the trigger.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember that Audi can now detect if you have modified your performance, even though it's not done by re-flashing the ECU. They can tell if the engine has exceeded certain performance parameters that are factory maximums. This will void your warantee.
This is not something the service technician can circumvent. My Audi dealer service guy warned me about this the day I bought the car. As soon as they hook up the factory VAG tool it does a scan and reports the results to Audi (I'm assuming AoA) and he cannot prevent it. Now I know there is unlikely to be an engine failure, and if there is it's Audi's fault, not the chip. But Audi doesn't see it that way. After all, they want to maximize profits so any failure they can blame on someone else is a failure they don't have to fix at their expense.
Just sayin'.
My wife insisted on buying the very expensive 7-year B to B warantee, so it'll be 7 years before hers gets chipped. Thanks for the info on the Chipwerke product. I wonder if they make one for my V8 -- probably not.
Enjoy the extra power.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike B
Just remember that Audi can now detect if you have modified your performance, even though it's not done by re-flashing the ECU. They can tell if the engine has exceeded certain performance parameters that are factory maximums. This will void your warantee.
This is not something the service technician can circumvent. My Audi dealer service guy warned me about this the day I bought the car. As soon as they hook up the factory VAG tool it does a scan and reports the results to Audi (I'm assuming AoA) and he cannot prevent it. Now I know there is unlikely to be an engine failure, and if there is it's Audi's fault, not the chip. But Audi doesn't see it that way. After all, they want to maximize profits so any failure they can blame on someone else is a failure they don't have to fix at their expense.
Just sayin'.
My wife insisted on buying the very expensive 7-year B to B warantee, so it'll be 7 years before hers gets chipped. Thanks for the info on the Chipwerke product. I wonder if they make one for my V8 -- probably not.
Enjoy the extra power.
Good post Mike-

From what you are saying, it appears there is some conflicting info between forums, on whether or not the Chipwerke piggyback is detectable by the dealer.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by togatown
Good post Mike-

From what you are saying, it appears there is some conflicting info between forums, on whether or not the Chipwerke piggyback is detectable by the dealer.
Agreed, this is the first Ive heard of it being detectable.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually had theirs detected. Ive read the opposite - that folks with it installed fooled the dealer just fine, so long as they removed the harness before going in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed a Chipwerke module in my S4... WOW