S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

LED lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED lights

I love this car. Just hit 3000 km today. Now that break-in is finished I can really have fun with the S-tronic in the upper RPM range!

My only significant issue has been the 'LED wink' when the turn signal is on when on Auto daylights. I know from this site that you can change the settings with VAG-COM. However the dealership will reset the settings everytime your car is in for service..

One interesting thing I noticed today while waiting for my car wash and seeing the reflection of the car in the window is that if you set the headlight **** to daytime (not Auto) the LED lights stay on while the turn signal is on. The LED lights on the side of the signal dim a bit but still stay on. When the Xenon lights are on the LED lights stay on with signal but both side LED are dimmer when the Xenons are on.

Just thought I'd share this information.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

eerrmm yeah!

Search the forum for the word "wink". It what this dimming is referred to as. Many people have tweak the car's codes so that the LED doesn't wink and stays bright all the time.

I think I recall hearing that MY2010 cars don't wink.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You need a vag com cable so you can change the coding. Just did it on my car. Bought the cable from Ross tech. MY2010 cars do wink.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The winking is required by U.S. law due to the proximity of the DRLs to the turn indicator.

Technically it is not legal to eliminate the wink via VAG-COM, but I can't imagine many cops know the specifics of the law in such a matter.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It doesn't wink if you are not on auto lights and use a turn signal. If you have the parking lights on or the head lights on, it doesn't wink.

Bruce
Old 01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rktskicar
It doesn't wink if you are not on auto lights and use a turn signal. If you have the parking lights on or the head lights on, it doesn't wink.

Bruce
Wait a minute...That means your Audi automatically winks if you're flasing legally, but it doesn't wink if you're flashing illegally? Sheez........ Where's the irony in that?! (grins)
Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar

Bruce
Yes, because the US law doesn't require this to wink with full lights of any sort are on so they only do what the law requires when programming these for US soil, unfortunately.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

pretty funny eh! It looks like to me the only difference if you have your parking lights on is that the front side marker (amber light) is on as well as the LED eyebrow DRL. I do not see why this should should be any different in visibility than the DRL only for turn signal.

Bruce
Old 01-08-2010, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes, but parking lights on are not "full lights" only the amber front marker is on with the DRL LEDs. It doesn't wink in this case, and the proximity to DRLs that Hobb stated goes out the window.

Bruce
Old 01-10-2010, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The regulatory code states that it has to do with proximity 'and' brightness... when your parking lights are on, the DRLs dim....

Quick Reply: LED lights