S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: And the winner is...
Buy the M4 now, take the beating when she gets home
14.29%
Buy the S4 now and get an M4 down the road.
57.14%
Buy the M4 in the fall and everyone is happy.
28.57%
Fix your A6 up, sell private party, and hope you can find cheap F82
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Looking to buy a s4 or m3/4, such an emotional roller coaster

Old 04-24-2017, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm now old. In the 60s and early 70s I had a bunch of "muscle cars". Most were bought new. All were street raced and often tracked (usually drags) ... including 2 new Z-28 Camaros, a Datsun 240z, Buick Gran Sport, Pontiac Gran Prix...and many others. One thing in common was they were all coupes/2 doors.

Fast forward through a decade of these cars into the mid 80s. Then I owned 2 BMWs simultaneously...overlapped with a couple turbo Mazdas (for winter driving). One BMW was the first sedan...an '86 535i stick, special in its day ... bought low mileage from a friend. After a year or two of this form factor, my tastes changed...I haven't bought a 2 door since.

Once I got over the "coupe look" and excellent performing AWD/FWD sedans became common, the improved "ease of use" ... in shopping, traveling, commuting, became second nature to me/us...quick easy back seat access. Note that it was just two of us, usually with 3 or 4 cars. We had/have no kids...or other back seat riders... which would have only underlined the natural value of a well put together sedan (or wagon). Fast forward a bit more...we started to keep cars longer. Changing them often got boring, busy, and costly too Oh, and I cared less and less what others thought about what I drove...especially hot "looks". Cops and thieves tend to like them.

Of course, not everyone goes this way, but I thought I'd share my experience. The S4 is a great fit/compromise for me, despite my (unusual) perception of uncomfortable front seats!!! I'm now trying to convince my wife that a new Allroad is preferable (despite #$^#@ Audi's stinky resistance to bring a performance Avant here) to an SUV ... and thinking about an S6 or?

These are all great cars, don't second guess this or similar decisions ...once it's done it's done. If you can't logic your way to a decision, go with your gut and move on Good luck.

(BTW, why don't you just find a different color and, if need be, equipped S4?)
Old 04-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by huskyz
I'm now old. In the 60s and early 70s I had a bunch of "muscle cars". Most were bought new. All were street raced and often tracked (usually drags) ... including 2 new Z-28 Camaros, a Datsun 240z, Buick Gran Sport, Pontiac Gran Prix...and many others. One thing in common was they were all coupes/2 doors.

Fast forward through a decade of these cars into the mid 80s. Then I owned 2 BMWs simultaneously...overlapped with a couple turbo Mazdas (for winter driving). One BMW was the first sedan...an '86 535i stick, special in its day ... bought low mileage from a friend. After a year or two of this form factor, my tastes changed...I haven't bought a 2 door since.

Once I got over the "coupe look" and excellent performing AWD/FWD sedans became common, the improved "ease of use" ... in shopping, traveling, commuting, became second nature to me/us...quick easy back seat access. Note that it was just two of us, usually with 3 or 4 cars. We had/have no kids...or other back seat riders... which would have only underlined the natural value of a well put together sedan (or wagon). Fast forward a bit more...we started to keep cars longer. Changing them often got boring, busy, and costly too Oh, and I cared less and less what others thought about what I drove...especially hot "looks". Cops and thieves tend to like them.

Of course, not everyone goes this way, but I thought I'd share my experience. The S4 is a great fit/compromise for me, despite my (unusual) perception of uncomfortable front seats!!! I'm now trying to convince my wife that a new Allroad is preferable (despite #$^#@ Audi's stinky resistance to bring a performance Avant here) to an SUV ... and thinking about an S6 or?

These are all great cars, don't second guess this or similar decisions ...once it's done it's done. If you can't logic your way to a decision, go with your gut and move on Good luck.

(BTW, why don't you just find a different color and, if need be, equipped S4?)
Many have complained about the uncomfortable seats in the S4. For me(with some sciatica and spinal stenosis), they are fine. I believe that many find the seats uncomfortable due to underlying undiagnosed back issues,especially when we get older. I am in my late 60's and can definitely relate to many of the things you say.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

To me the AWD is the deciding factor. Even if you do not get snow where you live, the AWD just handles so much better than a RWD in most situations, especially if it is going to be a daily driver. That is one of many reasons why I currently have a S5 on order instead of going with something like a M3 or Corvette.

Have you looked at the 2018 S4's? You were quoting prices over $50K, and depending on how you option a new S4 (or new S5 sportback for that matter) you would be in the same neighborhood.

Last edited by heisnuts; 04-25-2017 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Many have complained about the uncomfortable seats in the S4. For me(with some sciatica and spinal stenosis), they are fine. I believe that many find the seats uncomfortable due to underlying undiagnosed back issues,especially when we get older. I am in my late 60's and can definitely relate to many of the things you say.
Age, youth sports, a lifetime of sitting at a computer and 30 years of running haven't helped my back BUTT.. I still drive other cars, and have driven many more. This car's seat is the most uncomfortable I can recall, even the passenger seat isn't great and no fun for people to enter and exit. They are probably great for tracking (butt not needed for drag racing).

I know I've also mentioned the terribly placed high beam indicator which gets obscured by the steering wheel no matter how I try to be comfortable. Again tonight it tricked me into hitting an approaching car with my BRIGHTS as we rounded a hill/curve on a two lane country road.

For my butt, I use a foam seat pad that I was literally given by a recycling yard guy who was throwing out a pile of stuff a year ago...it helps...butt it's ugly in the beautiful interior.

Other than that really like the car including the AWD and four doors
Old 04-26-2017, 06:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had problems with the seats on my 98 M3. Sciatica was acting up back than. I could not ride for more than 10 mins before I had excruciating pain. That subsided and had another issue a few yrs later. But I find if I am going on a long trip, regardless of what car I am driving, If I take a bath towel and roll it up and place it between the seat and the lumbar concavity of the spine, I rarely have any issues. But that's just me. Usually don't have any problems right now on trips of 2 hrs or less. I like the S4 seats
Old 05-01-2017, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update: Closing in on a CPO S4...hopefully it works out. Not a fan of buying a car 5 states away, but I have a pretty specific list I'm looking for, and Kansas isn't exactly a hot bed for nice German cars.