S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Brake Pad Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad Reccomendations

I'm due for brake service soon, as the brake pad light came on (but then went off, and hasn't returned for 2 days?? )

I'm not happy with the OEM pads. The amount of dust is nuts, and there's too much fade on track day. 3 laps in, the brake pedal is on the floor!

Just wondering which brake pads you all have installed that are a good everyday pad, with minimal dust, but also a good track day pad that helps push off the brake fade for a few more laps

Also, this is my first Audi, and I'm not sure if the dealerships will allow you to bring them non OEM parts to install? Can that happen?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I recommend Akebono ceramic pads. They are unbelievable. No perceivable change in brake pedal feel, but virtually zero dust. I could not believe it myself.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CashCanuck
I'm due for brake service soon, as the brake pad light came on (but then went off, and hasn't returned for 2 days?? )

I'm not happy with the OEM pads. The amount of dust is nuts, and there's too much fade on track day. 3 laps in, the brake pedal is on the floor!

Just wondering which brake pads you all have installed that are a good everyday pad, with minimal dust, but also a good track day pad that helps push off the brake fade for a few more laps

Also, this is my first Audi, and I'm not sure if the dealerships will allow you to bring them non OEM parts to install? Can that happen?

Thanks!!!
If you are up for new break pads I would definitely replace them with carbon ones, they create less dust on your wheels. If you went on a track then it's not just the fact that you are on OEM break pads you can certainly replace the break fluid to a high performance fluid, that's what I did last week before I went on the track and it made all the difference.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a set of Akebono ceramics for rear I plan to install soon; all street use as I'm also fed up with excessive dust.
I doubt your dealer will install non-OEM parts for you (unless done covertly), as I asked my dealer and flat out "No". Makes sense from a warranty standpoint.
I plan to get the Vag-Com stuff soon as the rears require this for replacement.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CashCanuck

Thanks!!!
Been there looked at this, for 15 years. There's no such thing as a pad that works well on the track and on the street.

Akebono ceramics (not "carbon", as suggested by another poster) dust less than OEM, but aren't appropriate for track use, and cost twice to three times what other ceramic pads do. I (and others) have installed Wearever Gold pads from Advance Auto parts with great results on the street. Slightly less initial bite than the OEM pads, but ZERO dust, which is a worthwhile tradeoff IMO. I installed them myself, but certain dealers might be willing to install them as well. Read this for more background and reactions:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hlight=cheapie

Since you've already discovered that the S4 can overwhelm its stock pads after only a few track laps, you need a more serious track pad if you want to use all of your car's performance potential. Carbotech XP-10s would be one good option.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T

Akebono ceramics (not "carbon", as suggested by another poster) dust less than OEM, but aren't appropriate for track use, and cost twice to three times what other ceramic pads do.
I'd agree with this. The mainstream ceramic pad isn't the answer for track day. I don't know what pad is going to be brilliant on the street and on the track. I think many enthusiasts will swap pads in the paddock.

FWIW, I removed Akebono from the front of our A6 last week. Got really crazy wear with them. The inboard pad on one side was completely gone (severe angle) and the outboard looked like new. It was the opposite on the other side of the car: outboard pad was shot, inboard was like new. I dis-like the floating caliper design.

Again, FWIW, I took Reggie's lead and had the Centric semi-metallics (part number begins with 104.xxxxx) + new rotors installed. The car hasn't travelled far, but the braking performance is nothing short of outstanding. There is some brake dust, but it's not the dense, heavy crap you see with the OE pad formulation. I suspect the reduction in dust will be about 90% once pads are bedded in and heat-cycled a bit.

I have no idea how the fade resistance is - - not a concern for me in terms of "track days". So far, I'm impressed to the point that I'm considering removing the OE ceramic pads from my A4 and swapping these in. The brakes are just tremendous on the A6 now. Thanks to Reggie for his rec on all of this.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Been there looked at this, for 15 years. There's no such thing as a pad that works well on the track and on the street.

Akebono ceramics (not "carbon", as suggested by another poster) dust less than OEM, but aren't appropriate for track use, and cost twice to three times what other ceramic pads do. I (and others) have installed Wearever Gold pads from Advance Auto parts with great results on the street. Slightly less initial bite than the OEM pads, but ZERO dust, which is a worthwhile tradeoff IMO. I installed them myself, but certain dealers might be willing to install them as well. Read this for more background and reactions:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hlight=cheapie

Since you've already discovered that the S4 can overwhelm its stock pads after only a few track laps, you need a more serious track pad if you want to use all of your car's performance potential. Carbotech XP-10s would be one good option.
Good catch...of course I meant "Ceramic" not as posted "Carbon". Typo!!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome! Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Now, to scour these forums for a Brake DIY thread.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to get non Audi brake pads installed, you are better off not going to Audi even if they would do it. It will cost you more. Just find a reputable shop that specializes in German cars and save yourself some money as well.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I'd agree with this. The mainstream ceramic pad isn't the answer for track day. I don't know what pad is going to be brilliant on the street and on the track. I think many enthusiasts will swap pads in the paddock.

FWIW, I removed Akebono from the front of our A6 last week. Got really crazy wear with them. The inboard pad on one side was completely gone (severe angle) and the outboard looked like new. It was the opposite on the other side of the car: outboard pad was shot, inboard was like new. I dis-like the floating caliper design.

Again, FWIW, I took Reggie's lead and had the Centric semi-metallics (part number begins with 104.xxxxx) + new rotors installed. The car hasn't travelled far, but the braking performance is nothing short of outstanding. There is some brake dust, but it's not the dense, heavy crap you see with the OE pad formulation. I suspect the reduction in dust will be about 90% once pads are bedded in and heat-cycled a bit.

I have no idea how the fade resistance is - - not a concern for me in terms of "track days". So far, I'm impressed to the point that I'm considering removing the OE ceramic pads from my A4 and swapping these in. The brakes are just tremendous on the A6 now. Thanks to Reggie for his rec on all of this.
Thanks - glad you like them.