S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

B6 S4 vs B8 S4

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B6 S4 vs B8 S4

Looking for feedback. I have a 10 year relationship with a B6 S4. Great ride!! love the torque, 7K redline, handling, size. However, it may be time to move on.

Any previous B6 S4 / current B8 S4 owners have an opinion on how the two models compair?
Old 06-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I Had an 04 b6 S4. Liked it pretty much but it was a gas guzzler and performance was OK. Not a fan of the 4.2 V8. Never seemed to be geared correctly. When my lease was up , I could not justify getting a B7 since it was the same basic car. So I leased a 335i coupe. Loved that car .Better performance than the B6 S4, better gas mileage as well. In 2010 I leased a lightly loaded B8 S4. Much better car than the 335i and light years better than the B6 S4. The 3.o SC engine is a fantastic engine. The DSG trans, which I do not have, is far and away better than the tiptronic. The handling is great. With the sport dif, the car has characteristics of a RWD car. For the record, I am now on my 3rd B8 S4. When it came time to replace the car at lease end, there was nothing out there that I thought was better in the price range, so I leased a 2014 S4 with more options. A month ago, due to life changing events, I decided to get rid of the 2014 due to the lease payment being higher than I wanted. But again, I could not find a car that I thought would be anywhere near the B8 S4. So I found a used 2011 model and I am completely happy with my decision. If you decide to take one for a test drive, you will be hooked. Word of warning. rumor has it that 2015 will be the last yr for the B8. B9 COULD be even better, But rumor also has it that this will be the last yr for the manual trans.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had both, and I echo those comments. The V8 was a gas hog. In the middle of the winter here in Minnesota (the arctic tundra) it would average as low as 8-10 mpg. Brutal. The gear box also felt a bit off.

The only thing I would add about the B6 is that it did sound angry all the time. The V6 is much more subdued, though that can be augmented easily enough.

The V6 is loads better.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Digital_Bees
I had both, and I echo those comments. The V8 was a gas hog. In the middle of the winter here in Minnesota (the arctic tundra) it would average as low as 8-10 mpg. Brutal. The gear box also felt a bit off.

The only thing I would add about the B6 is that it did sound angry all the time. The V6 is much more subdued, though that can be augmented easily enough.

The V6 is loads better.
IMHO, the sound of the B6 exhaust stock, was nothing to rave at. B8.5 with Soundakator sounds better. BUT sound of the B6 with catback was heavenly.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, should have been clearer... I had a CBE on mine, and that made it angry. Good point of clarification.

Originally Posted by DrGP
IMHO, the sound of the B6 exhaust stock, was nothing to rave at. B8.5 with Soundakator sounds better. BUT sound of the B6 with catback was heavenly.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The B6 was a good car, where the B8 was a great car. The B8 was a more aligned to the theme of an Audi S4. B6 has a great sound thanks to the v8 but it was fragile, with the timing chain and those sh!tty plastic chain guides and engine seals that would leak like a sieve. Fuel economy was wretched. The B6 seemed like they were trying to cram 10 pounds of power into a 5 pound bag.

Once the B8 got past its water pump issues of 2010/2011 I would say the car became the most reliable S4 ever. My 2012 has been problem free, I can only think of one unplanned visit to the dealer for a sensor replacement. Outside of that its been consumables.

The sport differential, the mighty mouse SC-V6, decent fuel economy in a sneaky fast 4 door package is really what the car is all about. I think the B8 hits the mark closer then any car in the past.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dr GP and all, Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated. Been following you, Dr GP, since the Shark Fin. Always good.
Test drove a B8 S4 6MT. Initial feelings: bigger and softer than the B6 S4. Seat of the pants said less low end torque and 6K red line. More tech, less guts. Other than that, good. That's why I posted this. Since my S4 experience has been fantastic I was looking for others experience with both. I think I need to drive the B8 S4 again.
Read about a chip that will take the B8 S4 to B7 RS4 performance level. Any experience?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by morogoat
Read about a chip that will take the B8 S4 to B7 RS4 performance level. Any experience?
With a tune it can almost at the B8 RS4 level.
Sounds like an opportunity to post a link to this video again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KfMY96v_Gc

Last edited by moose_head; 07-01-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Happiness ensues...
Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by morogoat
Dr GP and all, Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated. Been following you, Dr GP, since the Shark Fin. Always good.
Test drove a B8 S4 6MT. Initial feelings: bigger and softer than the B6 S4. Seat of the pants said less low end torque and 6K red line. More tech, less guts. Other than that, good. That's why I posted this. Since my S4 experience has been fantastic I was looking for others experience with both. I think I need to drive the B8 S4 again.
One of the problems with a test drive is that you only get a feel for the car. Kind of like a first date. Obviously you are comparing the B8 to the B6 which is like your current girlfriend that has gotten boring and put on a few pounds. Take it from me, time to ditch the old girl friend. The B8 S4 is a keeper. The more you drive it the more you will love and appreciate it. UNLESS you want to hold out for the B9?

Quick Reply: B6 S4 vs B8 S4